How's this for a awaking this morning.............

So I only got about 4 hours of sleep yesterday considering I work midnights and I had training yesterday evening for work. I came home and stayed up until 11:00 or so and then hit the sack thinking I was going to sleep in until 10 or so the next day to catch up on some sleep. WRONG!!!!! As some of you know I am on the SWAT Team here in the metro area. Well we always have training on Thursdays and we usually get a page on our pagers the night before about the time. Sometimes the team leaders forget to send us a page, but we all know it's usually at 9:00am. The team leaders forgot to send us this page last night.

My pager goes off at around 6:00 to 6:15 in the morning. I'm immediately pissed because I'm thinking why in gods name are they sending a training page out this early in the morning? I look at the pager and read this........................"Des Moines Police requesting all available Metro S.T.A.R. Team members to respond to unnamed address for man with a gun holding his three kids hostage. Individual has killed two people out in front of the house please respond!" I was like "HOLY $HIT!!!!" So I run around get everything I need and kiss the wife goodbye because I have a feeling this is going to be a bad one.

I respond to the scene and there is one body in the street and one in a car that has crashed into a telephone pole down the street. Negotiations go bad and the guy is starting to call his family members and saying things like, "See you in the afterlife." and "Me and the kids are going to be with my wife." He killed his wife and she was laying in the street. We were scared to death that he was going to kill his kids. We make entry into the house and my team was responsible for going immediately upstairs and getting the bad guy. We crest the top of the stairs and what do you know 4 GUNSHOTS AND THEY ARE DIRECTED DOWN THE HALLWAY!!!! Needless to say we got the kids out safe with no injuries and the badguy actually didn't get hurt in the situation because we thought he had killed himself. One of the officer's threw a flashbang through the window from the ground floor, this was the second floor, and we think it hit the guy in the head and knocked him out while exploding at the same time. It was a blind throw which ended up saving this guys life! I threw a flashbang through a second floor window from the ground outside before we made entry to distract the guy and thankfully it went through the screen and the window and into the secondary bedroom. One of our other guys wasn't so lucky and he missed his window and the flashbang bounced off the house, got stuck in one of the other guys duty belt and exploded injuring this officer, but not seriously. It was rather humerous afterwards because he received injuries to his a$$ so we gave him a purple a$$ instead of a purple heart.

This was the most dangerous situation I have ever been in and I can't believe it actually happened. I thought for sure once those rounds came down the hall that I was dead and if I wasn't he was going to be dead. My biggest fear was one of the kids running out into the hallway, but thankfully that never happened. I came home and just collapsed from being emotionally drained.

http://www.whotv.com/global/story.asp?s=8843620

glad to hear you're ok and the kids are ok. Shoulda sniped the d00d though. Sometimes it seems like domestic violence is the most dangerous and stressful call any officer can respond to. More so than say a felony traffic stop or other high risk events which seem to be more of a controllable environment.

Take it easy and take care.

Rawhide

glad to hear you're ok and the kids are ok. Shoulda sniped the d00d though. Sometimes it seems like domestic violence is the most dangerous and stressful call any officer can respond to. More so than say a felony traffic stop or other high risk events which seem to be more of a controllable environment.

Take it easy and take care.

Rawhide

The snipers never had a clear shot unfortunately.

Oh my gosh....I am still trying to take this all in and I wasn't even there!!! I am so glad that you are ok and I sure hope you get caught up on some much needed sleep. You work so hard and I thank you so much for all the hard work you do to protect all of us. Your wife and family love you and I love reading your posts in here. You have alot of friends here:) and I am sure you do in your community too:) You are a wonderful man:) thx again for all you do for all of us. I am so glad that the kids are ok and I hope that they have a good support system. They will need to talk to someone. It can't be easy on your wife at times...but..she loves you and will stand by you through thick and thin...God Bless

I know we give you a lot of crap on here, BRI, but damn do I have a lot of respect for you and any other members of law enforcement. When you guys can prevent people from getting hurt or killed in situations like this, I can't even describe it... it's just awesome. I mean, it sucks that two people had to lose their lives, but great job at not allowing that situation to get any worse than it already was. Especially with little kids. It breaks my heart when I hear about children leaving this world way to early.

Great job, and keep up the good work.

I know we give you a lot of crap on here, BRI, but damn do I have a lot of respect for you and any other members of law enforcement. When you guys can prevent people from getting hurt or killed in situations like this, I can't even describe it... it's just awesome. I mean, it sucks that two people had to lose their lives, but great job at not allowing that situation to get any worse than it already was. Especially with little kids. It breaks my heart when I hear about children leaving this world way to early.

Great job, and keep up the good work.

:yeah

Dude killed two people and tried killing his kids...............BRI you should've put him away....I'm sure there was a bullet in your chamber with his name on it.

Just glad that the kids are still alive as well as you. That just goes to show you that you never know when your time could be up and to always tell your love ones that you love them and you just never know what could happen next. You only live once so try and make the most of it.