Coaches aim at building team chemistry

Whenever the Husker tight ends coach Ron Brown gets talking about anything, reporters seem to have a hard time pulling themselves away.

"It's not just the physical training, it's the mental stuff," Brown said at one point Monday. "It's the will. It's the will to reach inside an opponent's heart and pull his heart right out of him. That's the kind of stuff you've got to have, and to do that, you've got to be willing to push yourself through exhaustion. You've got to face up to it and hit it square in the mouth. That is what it's all about in fall camp."

Brown stood in to take questions for Bo Pelini after the first of two Monday practices. (The team has two more two-a-days left: Wednesday and Friday.)

The assistant said a big part of coaching is not just pushing and driving guys, but also knowing when to lift them up.

"You have to have the ability to encourage them. You can't just beat them down," Brown said. "You got to exhaust them and make them think there's a bigger limit out there. You got to pump sunshine into them. When something happens good, there's got to be a lot of camaraderie around that, and a lot of energy given to the good things.

"Whatever you emphasize is what you'll get. And in the emphasis process, it's reward and rebuke. You do it without tearing a guy's character down and you'll see those guys respond to it."

Brown said in each meeting with his tight ends, there's a "Joke of the Night" to make everyone feel at ease. It's just one of those little things that attempt to help team chemistry. The hope is that those little things add up.

Brown said Husker head coach Bo Pelini has allowed players and coaches to be very open with their thoughts during team meetings, which he feels will only serve this team well as time goes on.

"Coach Pelini has really done a great job of allowing guys to stand up and speak in the meetings and share who they are, coaches and players," Brown said. "And there's chemistry that comes from it. We don't want this place to be a soft place, but we want this to be safe place for these guys. And really outside of this place, it's not real safe. These guys can't just go and be vulnerable with their hearts.

"And that is the making of a great team, when you can share your gut, when you can lay your gut on your sleeve and know that your brothers are going to carry you, back you, they got your back. You got that going, there's a lot of great things that will happen out on that football field, that will overcome things you normally wouldn't be able to overcome."

LINK

:w00t and :koolaid2:

Oh and where's the wall at????

When Callahan came to Lincoln the only coach from the Osborne staff that he retained was Turner Gill. Ron Brown was one of the coaches that was let go. When Gill subsequently left for Buffalo the end of an era was at hand. I had been dreading that day for along time. TO, Gill and Ron Brown were the heart, body and soul

of Nebraska Football. Pellini could not have made a better hire than Ron Brown. Its coaches like him that are responsible for the 99 percent of college atheletes who have great college careers and then move on to become good, honest and responsible citizens of this great country. We are blessed to have Ron Brown back as a Husker coach.

T_O_B

Never seen anything like this when BC was around...I am really looking forward to this coming season, I really believe these kids will come in here believing in themselves and be ready to kick someone's arse.

Last year I think they wanted to believe, but they just weren't quite there 100%, I think this coaching staff did a lot to prove to the players that there is a reason to buy in...and it will pay off big time this season, and in the coming seasons.

Nebraska Football is finally back in my mind...I am pumped!

Honestly, I was a little skeptical of Coach Brown being on staff at first, but with every passing quote or feature done on him, I gain a new all time high level of respect for the guy.

My favorite Ron Brown quote so far has been (paraphrased), "We don't run out of bounds at Nebraska". I love the toughness coming back to this team, and Coach Brown is a big part of that.

lol from the comments after the article

BLACKSHIRT SERENITY PRAYER

God, please grant us the strength to reach into our

opponents chests and tear their hearts out.

Amen!

:rollin:rollin Awesome GBR Also (and I realize wrong forum) congrats to baseball team team on their first win of '09...and it only took 15 innings and all of my Friday night!