Great! I got called for jury duty next Tuesday morning. I've been "on call" since May, and thought my time was going to be over and I wouldn't get called. Wrong! Can anybody tell me what it's like? I know a couple of you guys are in that field. I'm pretty apprehensive about the whole thing.

it wasnt bad for the pre jury duty you just sit in a room and read magazines but when i actlually had the chance i volunteered, want to know why. If you try a case as soon as the case is over your off duty. I tried a case lasted one day got free lunch from the state and it was over. On top of that i got paid buy the city to be a juror. If it were up to me id get on a case as soon as possible only because they dont pick you again after that. Just be aware of any high profile cases going on in your town, because then you might get something more then one day. I had an easy one, some cops pull up to this vehicle blocking a alley. They find the driver to figure out whats going on. Well when there talking to the guy from his trailor door they see the meth sitting on the kitchen table. Proble cause to enter so then cuff and stuff the guy and his girl and find a bunch more. The guy was trying to get off due to the fact that they didnt have proble cause to enter his house. I was like duh your car was blocking the alley and you had drugs on the table. Case closed, free pizza and 200 bucks. Nice for a wednesday.

Ben

States are different.

~5 years ago, I was called.

I was really busy at work, but decided to not try to get out of it (Civic Duty) plus it would be nice to sleep in for a few days..(I was working 6AM-6PM and court didn't usually start 'till after 10AM).

The trial lasted 5 days and on the last day, I was one of the two people randomly picked as an alternate.

(So I never even found out if the guy was found guilty or not).

I was paid ~$20/day, skipped lunches, but luckily my employer still paid me my week's wages minus the $20/day.

Then almost exactly 2 years later, I got called up again..Can't remember how I got out of it. (Seems like I just postphoned it?).

Recently, 3 of my co-workers have been called, but our current employer doesn't pay for jury duty, so I think they were able to get out of it by claiming a $ hardship?

Most states try and make the process as painless as possible. Yes, it can an inconvenience, but - and I know this will sound somewhat silly - it's also a chance for people who are not familiar with the court systems to get a feel for what it's like. There certainly isn't anything to be worried about - in most jurisdictions, there is a jury pool. And in most cases, you simply call ahead to see if you have to join the pool for that day. If so, you report. Groups of the pool are taken into the court for voir dire - that's where the attorneys ask the prospective jurors various questions to determine whether they want you on the jury. If the attorneys can agree on a full jury before you are called, you're done for that day. If not, just answer honestly when you are called in. If you're not selected that day, you're still paid a modest stipend and get to leave. If you are chosen, you simply sit and listen and take notes (believe me, you really need to take notes - they don't have to just be the facts, but can include your impression of the veracity of the witnesses, etc. - all of it will help you in the jury room). Then, you vote.

For most folks, it can actually be kind of entertaining and educational. The only real problem is if you end up on an extremely long case or if it is a death-penalty case. I've known a fair number of people who were big death penalty proponents who, when faced with the realization that they were going to have to determine whether someone lived or died, had considerable problems. Just depends on the person.

I've never been called...but I think I'd be one of the people who would find it interesting. As long as it's a cool case that I can understand what's going on.

AR, isn't it the judge who determines sentencing? I know a jury can recommend a choice in a capital punishment case...but ultimately it's decided by the judge?

it wasnt bad for the pre jury duty you just sit in a room and read magazines but when i actlually had the chance i volunteered, want to know why. If you try a case as soon as the case is over your off duty. I tried a case lasted one day got free lunch from the state and it was over. On top of that i got paid buy the city to be a juror. If it were up to me id get on a case as soon as possible only because they dont pick you again after that. Just be aware of any high profile cases going on in your town, because then you might get something more then one day. I had an easy one, some cops pull up to this vehicle blocking a alley. They find the driver to figure out whats going on. Well when there talking to the guy from his trailor door they see the meth sitting on the kitchen table. Proble cause to enter so then cuff and stuff the guy and his girl and find a bunch more. The guy was trying to get off due to the fact that they didnt have proble cause to enter his house. I was like duh your car was blocking the alley and you had drugs on the table. Case closed, free pizza and 200 bucks. Nice for a wednesday.

Ben

What an idiot......If it's in plain site than you have probable cause :bang

It seems like, even though they say it's a jury pool, that every 4 years or so I get a damn notice in the mail telling me to show up. I always get out of it though because they find out I'm a cop and it's see you later. I hated sitting in court with inmates through the voir dire process. That has to be the most boring process throughout everything.

I was foreman on a rape/assult trial. Its tough but its part of what we are as Americans. You find yourself disassociating yourself from the emotions and get caught up in the legal process. An experience tht I wouldn't give up but don't want to do it again.

T_O_B

I've never been called...but I think I'd be one of the people who would find it interesting. As long as it's a cool case that I can understand what's going on.

AR, isn't it the judge who determines sentencing? I know a jury can recommend a choice in a capital punishment case...but ultimately it's decided by the judge?

Been years since I practices criminal law, and I haven't been keeping up to date on the death penalty, so that may be correct. I know that at one time the U.S. Supreme Court invalidated states in which the jury made the decision as part of the trial process - they required a bifurcated process in which guilt was determined and then the jury determined whether the death penalty was imposed. But, again, that was some time back, and they may have changed that to sentencing by judges only.

Great! I got called for jury duty next Tuesday morning. I've been "on call" since May, and thought my time was going to be over and I wouldn't get called. Wrong! Can anybody tell me what it's like? I know a couple of you guys are in that field. I'm pretty apprehensive about the whole thing.

If you need to go home or back to work soon, wear some of those fake eyes like these:

Bug_Eyed_Woman.jpg

But if you can stick around, I applaud you for doing your civic duty and taking it seriously.

I totally agree about it being a "learning experience", but I found out it's a rape case (against a 12 year old) and I really don't think I can be fair or reasonable about that. Thanks for all the info though!

I think you could be fair and reasonable...you'd just have to set aside emotion during the trial. And when it comes to deciding on a verdict just think to yourself "if the evidence proves he's guilty, I'll say he's guilty...and hate him even more."

Of course, I'd probably never be elected to be on a jury for a rape case. I'm sure the defense would ask me "what do you think of rapists"...or...."what should the penalty be for rapists"

And I'd say, "hang 'em high....after letting Butch from cell #37 rape him"

I totally agree about it being a "learning experience", but I found out it's a rape case (against a 12 year old) and I really don't think I can be fair or reasonable about that. Thanks for all the info though!

I think you could be fair and reasonable...you'd just have to set aside emotion during the trial. And when it comes to deciding on a verdict just think to yourself "if the evidence proves he's guilty, I'll say he's guilty...and hate him even more."

Of course, I'd probably never be elected to be on a jury for a rape case. I'm sure the defense would ask me "what do you think of rapists"...or...."what should the penalty be for rapists"

And I'd say, "hang 'em high....after letting Butch from cell #37 rape him"

Hey!

That's MY cell #

Butch is MY Beetch.

Have your MD give the Judge his next prostate exam without any lube and 4 fingers. :) Tell the judge it's a new more thorough exam similar to a Pap Smear. Since it sounds like the judge is full of himself/herself and menopausal and the MD can have the last laugh. :lol: