Backups?

husker249

Pat Witt probably could have gotten some snaps there at the end, but in coach speak it was still a three possession game and that might have made them a little nervous. There is no way Okafor sees the field this year, he is and should being redshirted. If any back that I was curious to see how would play into our rotation it was Marcus Mendoza. He has been hyped by the coaches a lot, if anything let him return kicks and get Asante out of there. Other than that, maybe look for more rotation among the receiving corps and the linebackers. Was disappointed that Fisher and Compton didn't get reps, might of been beneficial when Cody and Tyler were sucking a little wind there in the second half.

Fisher got reps. Compton *could* - *COULD* - be heading for a redshirt, but we shall see.

Did Blake Lawrence get in?

Pretty sure Fisher's reps were all on special teams. Could see Compton redshirting, but don't you also believe he could be a strong contributor to this defense. Blake was a name that slipped my mind that also should have been put in my previous post, I don't recall seeing him on the field for defense

I think this game gave us a good indication of who they feel will contribute in the future. No point burning a red shirt just to see if a guy is game ready. I doubt a lot of the young linebackers can really have an impact large enough to justify them being played.

Do agree we should have seen another QB at the end, not sure what the thinking on that was other than our inability to run consistently.

^Not sure I've heard there is an alotted amount of minutes they can be on the field. And have heard by others it's like 5% of a games snaps or something to that effect. Would like to get some clarity on that if anyone knows what the rule is.

I think the 5% thing is for medical redshirts. I believe once a guy is on the field for even a single play he's burned his redshirt. Like what's-his-name coming in and throwing one pass against KSU in '05.

***SNIP***

Do agree we should have seen another QB at the end, not sure what the thinking on that was other than our inability to run consistently.

Remember that Ganz has limited real game experience, and while the offense has remained mostly unchanged, there have been some tweaks to it. I suspect that - at least for this game - they wanted to give all the snaps to Joe just to be sure that the major kinks were worked out.

Once any player steps onto the field for any kind of game performance(off, def, special teams) they cannot redshirt for that year. Beck chucking one completion against KState is a good example as well as wasting a year on Niles Paul for one catch and special team coverage units.

I believe for a medical redshirt you cannot play more than 13% of your teams games, yes it is not a round percentage number(ie Dillard blows up his knee in the first game=med rs, herian rearranging his leg vs Mizzou=no rs).

Back to Compton honestly how anyone can say he wouldn't contribute and be a huge asset as the year progressed after watching Cody and Phil playing every snap and severely trailing W. Michigans receivers on the crosses and pretty much every other route they ran last game? It is in the staffs hands, but we need fresh playmakers for four quarters every week and we got a long, long way to go.