burn Ricky Henrys redshirt

Why would you want to burn his redshirt in a year that we are going to be mediocre at best? That would be crazy...no...that is just plain stupid!

You are quite right. Wisdom says that NU should be playing for the future. This is why either Witt or Lee better see a lot of action this year so as to equip the team to better compete next year. As for this year, having Ganz 98% of the time versus 70% will likely not make a differnce in record (a game, maybe --- who knows) --- but next year having Witt/Lee in 30% this year versus 2% will mean a great deal to the record.

This is a long haul process. Rebuilding takes a multi-year plan. Too much short sightedness and you have problems. Save the shirts whenever possible. Play youth now.

Forget playing for the future. We should be playing for the here & now. Any player good enough to contribute should be seeing the field. IMO we should be playing both Ricky Henry & Will Compton. Maybe if we had a bunch All-Americans at certain positions things would be different & we could afford to redshirt talented freshmen but we dont have that luxary. IMO we need to put the best possible team on the field here AND now.

Forget playing for the future. We should be playing for the here & now. Any player good enough to contribute should be seeing the field. IMO we should be playing both Ricky Henry & Will Compton. Maybe if we had a bunch All-Americans at certain positions things would be different & we could afford to redshirt talented freshmen but we dont have that luxary. IMO we need to put the best possible team on the field here AND now.

IMO, There may be some freshman with more talent, but that doesn't equate to being a better player.

Remember these kids have to adapt to college life, classes and per the NCAA regulations the coaches only have 20 hours a week for coaching, conditioning and film study.

Burning redshirts on kids who arent ready will only put us back in the spot were in now down the road.

This season is not about the here and now, it's about rebuilding for the future.

If Ricky Henry is good enough to crack the 2 deep, IMO the staff should burn his redshirt & let him play.

Callahan burned redshirts, doing this does not build for the future.

Wasn't it one of the Kansas schools who had a coach that redshirted a whole jr. class to build for the future?

Seems like they had one good season after that and then he was gone (fired?).

Bill Snyder? :dunno

Maybe Jim Dickey at KSU

I want to say Mike Gottfried or Glen Mason at Kansas..But it seems like it was the mid to late '70's when Osborne was just starting out and Warren Powers was at MU.

===================================

Pepper Rodgers (20-22), 1967–1970, accepted UCLA job

Don Fambrough (19-25-1), 1971–1974

Bud Moore (17-21-1), 1975–1978

Don Fambrough (17-24-4), 1979–1982

Mike Gottfried (15-18-1), 1983–1985, accepted Pittsburgh job

Bob Valesente (4-17-1), 1986–1987

Glen Mason (47-54-1), 1988–1996,

IMO, There may be some freshman with more talent, but that doesn't equate to being a better player.

Remember these kids have to adapt to college life, classes and per the NCAA regulations the coaches only have 20 hours a week for coaching, conditioning and film study.

Burning redshirts on kids who arent ready will only put us back in the spot were in now down the road.

This season is not about the here and now, it's about rebuilding for the future.

:yeah Totally agree. Another aspect is it gives him one more year to get conditioned and grow. It is totally irresponsible to go burning redshirts on all of your freshmen. Just look at what BC did...perfect example.

Such thinking is what gets many a coach in a rebuilding situation fired in a few short years. Pelini is in this for the long haul. As it were, Callahan had no vision for the future -- it was here and now --- and that killed him. A systematic plan for moving forward is by definition one that is a three year or so plan --- he has to manage the roster and get experience for future players now. He has to develop the youth. You take a few knocks on the chin now and you'll really benefit in the future. This is an easy one for Pelini at least in this sense --- playing the youth now or holding off will make little real difference this season --- NU will not be in the hunt for the B12 North title either way. The only risk you have is perhaps not being bowl eligible. So you do the balancing act. Play the youth and the experience in balance. Ganz 65%-70% of the time and either Witt or Lee the rest (and, likewise at most positions). Develop the youth now for the future.

Such thinking is what gets many a coach in a rebuilding situation fired in a few short years. Pelini is in this for the long haul. As it were, Callahan had no vision for the future -- it was here and now --- and that killed him. A systematic plan for moving forward is by definition one that is a three year or so plan --- he has to manage the roster and get experience for future players now. He has to develop the youth. You take a few knocks on the chin now and you'll really benefit in the future. This is an easy one for Pelini at least in this sense --- playing the youth now or holding off will make little real difference this season --- NU will not be in the hunt for the B12 North title either way. The only risk you have is perhaps not being bowl eligible. So you do the balancing act. Play the youth and the experience in balance. Ganz 65%-70% of the time and either Witt or Lee the rest (and, likewise at most positions). Develop the youth now for the future.

I agree. Managing the roster is probably the most important step any coach can take to help build a team (I would argue recruiting players that fit your system and coaching them up is THE most important). Let's face it folks: 8-4 is pretty optimistic this season. I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy with 8-4, because quite frankly, I would be ecstatic. I'm just saying, why not plan a little bit for the future?

Hopefully this Saturday, the Huskers will have this game won by halftime. NMSU isn't a good team. That's all there is to it. If the game is in our favor by halftime, get some reps for these younger players...specifically Witt and/or Lee. They may make mistakes, but that's all part of the learning process. I would rather have them make mistakes now rather than down the road when it REALLY matters.

I agree. Managing the roster is probably the most important step any coach can take to help build a team (I would argue recruiting players that fit your system and coaching them up is THE most important). Let's face it folks: 8-4 is pretty optimistic this season. I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy with 8-4, because quite frankly, I would be ecstatic. I'm just saying, why not plan a little bit for the future?

Hopefully this Saturday, the Huskers will have this game won by halftime. NMSU isn't a good team. That's all there is to it. If the game is in our favor by halftime, get some reps for these younger players...specifically Witt and/or Lee. They may make mistakes, but that's all part of the learning process. I would rather have them make mistakes now rather than down the road when it REALLY matters.

Agreed. And then slowly work them (or one of them) into games that matter as well. Next years QB better have nearly a quarter of action each week from here on out --- or next year it is a step back with a new QB with little or no real experience.