Now that Turner is out...

zoogs

Bo has said that Clayton Sievers moves into the #2 DE spot on both sides, with Pierre Allen starting.

Rivals has a teaser saying that two freshmen might step in. I wonder who they might be?

I'm not sure what kind of DE Sievers is. But redshirt freshman William Yancy is a former 4-star DE with pass rushing skills; has he come along far enough to see time in the rotation? Will our true freshmen d-ends redshirt? I would think that they would, with four guys (Potter, Allen, Sievers, Yancy) in front of them.

Bo has said that Clayton Sievers moves into the #2 DE spot on both sides, with Pierre Allen starting.

Rivals has a teaser saying that two freshmen might step in. I wonder who they might be?

I'm not sure what kind of DE Sievers is. But redshirt freshman William Yancy is a former 4-star DE with pass rushing skills; has he come along far enough to see time in the rotation? Will our true freshmen d-ends redshirt? I would think that they would, with four guys (Potter, Allen, Sievers, Yancy) in front of them.

Rivals is talking about Meredith and Williams stepping in and possibly burning their redshirts.

Journal Star is reporting Pierre Allan will get the start in place of Turner

Journal Star

Sophomore Allen will start at defensive end

BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, Sep 08, 2008 - 09:25:20 pm CDT

With Barry Turner out for the season with a broken leg, Husker coach Bo Pelini said Monday sophomore Pierre Allen would get the start in his place at defensive end Saturday against New Mexico State.

He also said coaches are looking at some guys they might previously not have thought about playing at that position before Turner’s injury. Clayton Sievers will likely see more time backing up both Allen and Zach Potter, and others being evaluated for potential action include Nick Covey and two true freshmen, Josh Williams and Cameron Meredith.

“There are times where you would want to redshirt someone, but you got to do what’s best,” defensive end coach John Papuchis said about the possibility of playing either Williams or Meredith. “They’re both coming along well. They’re both doing a good job, working hard. I’m very pleased with both of them.“