Observations from my first night game

Apathy

Hey Husker Nation,

Whenever I go to a game I have these traditions that I have to do at every home game and I don't know what everybody else does but here are the things that I do: I have to walk over the bridge on 10th heading south to the stadium which is a must, high five anybody around me during big playes, I gotta stay and watch the players walk over to the band and raise their helmets and pump up their fists. But anyways lets get to the game.

Got back into town at 1:06 am in the morning (had to work at 7 am <_< ) and I went to the game yesterday and it was my first night game and boy do I want to go to more of those. Before the game even started, as I walked toward Gate 2 there was this tall guy and his short g/f that walked right pass me and I thought to myself "Boy he could almost pass as being Grant Wistrom but he's too skinny to be Grant Wistrom!" So when they inducted the players into the Nebraska Hall of Fame long and behold Grant Wistrom was there and he was wearing the same clothes as the dude that walked by me before and the same short chick on the sidelines with him. Boy I wish that I could go back into time and stop Grant to get my picture taken with him when he walked by me. :bang

So anyways I watched the whole game thru my binoculars and it seemed in the first two or even three series from our Defense line that our front four would just hit the lineman and just stand there and watch. I don't know if that's what their suppose to do (I don't know if they were doing that to block passes) or what but as the game went on they started to get more physical and actually rushing the QB. I didn't think that our defensive line was all that great for the first few series but they got their crap together and New Mexico's first drive was kindof scary too.

I thought that our Offensive Line was outstanding but I think that we should fire Barney Cotton anyways :lol: just kidding. For those of you who doubted our running game I think that after this performance it's almost a slap in your face for doubting our players and coaches in the running game. The Defensive looked good, the DB's were actually looking back for the ball as for some of the pass interference calls I only thought that one was a good call but thats just me. I thought that we should've gotten at least 2 facemask calls that we never called instead on was a holding call on us but I believe it was Helu that was grabbed on the facemask BIGTIME and nothing was called. :dunno

We had great depth in our offensive line and you might know what I'm talking about if you caught Mendoza running the ball late in the fourth quarter. It was good to see our second strings in there to get some playing time which was a smart thing on Bo's part. It was good to see Murtha back and he was one of the main factors of our Offensive Line on that right side of the ball. Cassidy had some great tackles and pass breakups and I saw Blake Lawerence in there making some tackles as well.

I think that the defensive player should be Zach Potter and Ndamukong Suh for both of their efforts in batting down balls, forcing turnovers, sacking the QB, and blocking a Field Goal. All around the Player of the Game was no doubt Joe Ganz for his spectacular performance at QB, running for a TD, passing for a TD, and then catching one for a Touchdown. Everybody was happy for Ganz after the referee's reviewed that touchdown by McNeil and everybody cheered after the annoucement that the call would stand as is. It was really great, the fans all around us were awesome and I was high fiving people two rows up from me.

But sorry for a long post it was very exciting to see our kids play the way the did and the HB pass to Joe Ganz was just Amazing and I was glad that I was there to personally see it for myself. GO BIG RED :cowbell:

I also enjoyed the game quite a bit. Was the first night game for me also, and was a damn good game to watch.

Officiating was alright, there was a holding call(by NMSU) that was missed early in the first quarter but I thought the two pass interference calls were legit. Can't crawl all over the receivers when they are trying to catch the ball.

That is NOT to say there wasn't plenty of missed or bs calls by the officials, there were a gods plenty. Even the ppv announcers were fairly critical of alot of the calls...I know they are pro Nebraska...Matt Davidson for chrissakes...but the were pretty unbiased in their criticism of the refs, I thought. The most entertaining part of the ppv broadcast was when the brought in Larry the Cable Guy to do play by play for about ten minutes.

I also enjoyed the game quite a bit. Was the first night game for me also, and was a damn good game to watch.

Officiating was alright, there was a holding call(by NMSU) that was missed early in the first quarter but I thought the two pass interference calls were legit. Can't crawl all over the receivers when they are trying to catch the ball.

Was that the holding call that they had on Pierre Allen???? If so thats the one I saw too and I believe that was on New Mexico State's first drive.

It pains me to say it HuskerJock but the Helu play wasn't a face mask, I though it was too until they showed the replay. On tv you could see the NMSU defender grabbed him by the top of the helmet. I don't know how in the hell he did it, but he basically palmed the top of his head. Good post btw.

Thank you SkullandBones. Ummm hopefully my parents recorded it for me so I can watch it all over again. The one I'm think of is where they tackled us around the 50 yard line and I swear that they grabbed his facemask as everybody around me was yelling facemask and it even showed it on the the big screen. Oh well I've been wrong before but we got the W and thats what counts. GO BIG RED.

Was that the holding call that they had on Pierre Allen???? If so thats the one I saw too and I believe that was on New Mexico State's first drive.

Yep, Thats the one. Pretty obvious call IMO.

That is NOT to say there wasn't plenty of missed or bs calls by the officials, there were a gods plenty. Even the ppv announcers were fairly critical of alot of the calls...I know they are pro Nebraska...Matt Davidson for chrissakes...but the were pretty unbiased in their criticism of the refs, I thought. The most entertaining part of the ppv broadcast was when the brought in Larry the Cable Guy to do play by play for about ten minutes.

Larry the Cable Guy was f'n hilarious!

Larry the Cable Guy was f'n hilarious!

Indeed he was. :clap