Big Guy Murtha provides boost to O-Line

NE State Paper

'Big Guy' Murtha Provides a Boost Offensive Line

Senior tackle lifts team with humor

by Spencer Schubert

September 14, 2008

Lydon Murtha was not listed as ready to play when the game week began as the team prepared for New Mexico State. As the week progressed, the 6-foot-7, 315-pounder was listed as doubtful. When he heard that he was listed as such, Murtha decided to take matters into his own hands.

The Hutchinson, Minn., native was caught sneaking to the front of the repetition line several times in practice by offensive line coach Barney Cotton. Cotton would yell at Murtha and tell him to get back into his place in line, but it would be just a matter of time before Murtha was hiding behind other players so he could get another rep before Cotton could say no.

It ended up working out pretty well for Murtha—he started the game Saturday night in Nebraska’s 38-7 win over New Mexico State. It worked out pretty well for Nebraska, too, as Murtha was the large body the Huskers repeatedly ran behind during the game.

“It was good to see the big man back out there,” NU Coach Bo Pelini said. “He’s a heck of a football player that brings an attitude with him. We’re a better football team with him in there.”

It showed, too. The Nebraska running game doubled up its season totals in rushing yards, as they compiled 338 yards on the ground alone as the team totaled 553 total yards on the night. NU’s Marlon Lucky sported his first 100-yard game as he finished with 103. The senior was closely followed by teammate Quentin Castille and quarterback Joe Ganz, who had 78 and 70 yards, respectively.

It’s impossible to say that Murtha’s play was the sole reason the Huskers were able to get the ball rolling on the ground a little better Saturday night, but it’s not so impossible to say that with Murtha back on the line, the team may have had a different swagger when approaching the ball.

“I just try to lighten up things a little bit,” Murtha said. “We need to approach the game seriously, but to just go out there and work hard together puts a smile on all our faces.”

There may have been smiles on the faces of teammates, but not so much on the defenders that lined up against Murtha. Murtha was near the top of the most pancake blocks in the game, taking his defender to the ground and leaving him there.

The intensity Murtha brought to the field Saturday night not only excited himself, but also the players around him—including senior quarterback Joe Ganz.

“He played awesome,” Ganz said. “I think he led the offensive line in knockdowns, so it shows you he’s a dominant football player. He could do anything he wants. He’s so strong and physical that he could be as good as he wants to be.”

Ganz went on to stress the importance that with Murtha’s return his offensive line is starting to get back together to the family they used to be. He went as far to say that getting Murtha back might be the last piece to the puzzle for the NU offensive line to keep clicking like they did Saturday night for the rest of the year.

I wonder how they feel about Christenson making his way back? Hopefully bringing him back will also be a positive.

I've been wondering the same thing myself. He hasn't practiced at all this year with these guys. Thru spring and fall camp, the players have developed that trust and chemistry this team has been lacking. I wonder if AC's return will affect that or if it's going to be a more or less seamless transistion.