Crazy video!!!

Sorry BRI i like you and i hope to get to know you, and if im ever in trouble i would want you and you fellow brothers and sisters in blue to protect me as i would help one of you out if you ever needed it. But the guy in the squad car was going pretty dam fast. Ive seen squadcars bump people before to knock them off there feet but jesus never fling them into the air like that. I know adrenalin gets pumpin and you do things you normally wouldnt but cummon. You are in a car surrounded buy metal and glass. Ok if he had a gun and he fired at you, mow him down, grind his scuzzy arse into the pavement i dont have a problem with that. But it was a knife and they were protected buy there car for the most part. I dont think there actions were necessarly unjustified but dont turn the guy into a catapult.

P.s. I have a white subaru wagon with u of n sticker on the back. Dont pull me over i donate to the police and firedepartments :)

OK, no doubt this guy was a MORON, and deserved to be locked up.

But running a man down as your fist response, CRIMINAL! Ever heard of "less than leathal"? Your cruiser is without a doubt LETHAL!!!

Go ahead and bring on the flaming. I'm getting used to it on this board.

:yeah

I agree with you 100%. This guy is an idiot and should be in jail, but no way the cops should have used lethal force to stop him. What I saw was NOT self-defense.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you a lawyer or a police officer? Most of the time normal citizens don't know why or agree with what we do. Not saying what the officer did was right or wrong here.

No offense taken. I am a lawyer, with a fairly significant amount of experience in criminal law -- on both sides. The police doing this would be subject to criminal prosecution in both of the states I am licensed to practice law. Admittedly, neither of those states is Iowa (I'm licensed in Nebraska and Illinois).

But running a man down as your fist response, CRIMINAL! Ever heard of "less than leathal"? Your cruiser is without a doubt LETHAL!!!

I agree with you 100%. This guy is an idiot and should be in jail, but no way the cops should have used lethal force to stop him. What I saw was NOT self-defense.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you a lawyer or a police officer? Most of the time normal citizens don't know why or agree with what we do. Not saying what the officer did was right or wrong here.

No offense taken. I am a lawyer, with a fairly significant amount of experience in criminal law -- on both sides. The police doing this would be subject to criminal prosecution in both of the states I am licensed to practice law. Admittedly, neither of those states is Iowa (I'm licensed in Nebraska and Illinois).

Good enough then at least I know you know a thing or two about the law. As you heard in the video the prosecutor isn't going to charge the officer with anything because he thinks they were in the right. Like I said before, would I do the same thing? Probably not, but far be it from me to judge what another officer does. The only time I would do this would be if I rolled up on an active shooter type of thing and another officer was in a no win situation. I would most likely then drive my squad car into the subject because we are allowed under Iowa law to use our patrol cars in a deadly force situation.

Good enough then at least I know you know a thing or two about the law. As you heard in the video the prosecutor isn't going to charge the officer with anything because he thinks they were in the right. Like I said before, would I do the same thing? Probably not, but far be it from me to judge what another officer does. The only time I would do this would be if I rolled up on an active shooter type of thing and another officer was in a no win situation. I would most likely then drive my squad car into the subject because we are allowed under Iowa law to use our patrol cars in a deadly force situation.

My guess is that the prosecutor's decision had more to do with politics than with the law. I totally understand what you said you would do under the circumstances, and that makes sense to me. What this officer did does not make sense to me.

There's so many ways to look at this situation.

In a way, I'm glad that the police are "allowed" to use deadly force in this situation..But I'd also like to think I could've handled this situation more better (even without any training)..But may have just ended up dead, myself if the guy was also concealing a gun.

You probably never know what some people are capable of and my 1st impression of this situation is that he was trying to commit "suicide by police" or whatever they call it.

Another thing that concerns me is how it will affect the driver of the police car.

Who knows how much guilt he will feel when more things are found out..whether or not the guy was armed with any more than a knife ... which can be deadly, but I'd feel comfortable dealing with even with only my beginners karate classes over 25 years ago (as long as he attacked me in slow motion)..I could just wait it out in my car and wait for reinforcements to show up.

Nobody appeared to be in immediate danger.

Hopefully, the cop will be able to really justify this to himself..He had no way of telling whether or not this person intended to do harm to anyone else, and indeed could have had a gun..the best thing to do is incapacitate him.

I also feel for the family(s) involved..They were (are?) probably looking at a lifetime of this guy needing to be on some sort of mind altering drugs and still have trouble contributing to society..(I can't even remember to take my blood pressure or cholesterol meds)..

Most of me feels like he should have the right to decide whether or not life is worth maintaining...We cannot save everybody.

The officer's were in a no win situation, we are allowed to use our cruisers in a deadly force situation the same as we are our gun. The officer's wouldn't have had time to get out of their cruisers draw out their guns and give the man orders from what I observed. A man with a knife has to be at least 21 feet away before he can get to you and stab you before you get your gun out of your holster. Would I have done the same thing..................probably not, but they are justified in what they did. As far as the less than lethal goes most departments can't afford some of those things and these officer's probably didn't have those tools at their disposal. The situation may not have warranted it either because sometimes people with psychological issues don't feel pain and the non-lethals are useless.

As far as the comment about you getting used to being flamed on this board I don't know what to tell you there.

Even if they did get out, draw a gun and try to talk this moron down, they prob would have had to shoot him. He didn't see to care about the authorities when he charged the car. If he was hopped up on Meht he may have been able to get to the Police office even with being shot. Because I'm sure people would have said "he could have wonded him instead of fately shooting him" if he did have to shoot and kill him. And an even worse cenario could have taken place. What if a by stander happend to be near this and this guy attacked him/her? The dum ass had a death wish and almost go it.

I once read, if you don't like the cops being there call a crack head for help.

The officer's were in a no win situation, we are allowed to use our cruisers in a deadly force situation the same as we are our gun. The officer's wouldn't have had time to get out of their cruisers draw out their guns and give the man orders from what I observed. A man with a knife has to be at least 21 feet away before he can get to you and stab you before you get your gun out of your holster. Would I have done the same thing..................probably not, but they are justified in what they did. As far as the less than lethal goes most departments can't afford some of those things and these officer's probably didn't have those tools at their disposal. The situation may not have warranted it either because sometimes people with psychological issues don't feel pain and the non-lethals are useless.

As far as the comment about you getting used to being flamed on this board I don't know what to tell you there.

Even if they did get out, draw a gun and try to talk this moron down, they prob would have had to shoot him. He didn't see to care about the authorities when he charged the car. If he was hopped up on Meht he may have been able to get to the Police office even with being shot. Because I'm sure people would have said "he could have wonded him instead of fately shooting him" if he did have to shoot and kill him. And an even worse cenario could have taken place. What if a by stander happend to be near this and this guy attacked him/her? The dum ass had a death wish and almost go it.

What if? The police aren't allowed to use lethal force based upon a what if. I think it was AR in another thread that said "if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle." You're just trying to justify the decision that was made. Yes, the most police officers deserve our admiration and respect, but not all of them. And yes, sometimes police officers go too far and at least make mistakes, if not commit crimes themselves. This was, at a minimum, a mistake. I don't think that is too unreasonable of a position to take.....

What if? The police aren't allowed to use lethal force based upon a what if. I think it was AR in another thread that said "if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle." You're just trying to justify the decision that was made. Yes, the most police officers deserve our admiration and respect, but not all of them. And yes, sometimes police officers go too far and at least make mistakes, if not commit crimes themselves. This was, at a minimum, a mistake. I don't think that is too unreasonable of a position to take.....

The test in Iowa in a use of force situation is what a "reasonable person" would do in like circumstances. There is nothing in the law that states we have to retreat and there is nothing in the law that says we have to charge in. However, I think if they didn't do something quickly, whether this was the right force or not, and this guy went out and stabbed a citizen then we run into a failure to act and we can't do that as far as I'm aware. They had to do something and whether this was right or wrong we'll find out sooner or later.