DB Taylor Mays

• 1 month later...

Mays Not Coming to NU

Taylor Mays, the highly-touted O'Dea High School football recruit, said yesterday he expects to make a decision "in the next week to 10 days" about which college he'll attend.

Mays, who will be a senior this fall, said his top three choices are USC, Washington and Michigan, in no particular order. He visited USC this past weekend.

"I'm a big fan of college football. I like prestigious football programs," Mays said. "I want to be able to play in big games and play on the big stage."

Mays, 17, is considered one of the nation's top high-school defensive backs, with size (6 feet 3, 230 pounds), speed (state championships in the Class 3A 100- and 200-meter dashes as a sophomore) and lineage (his father Stafford played defensive end at Washington and in the NFL).

He missed some summer workouts recovering from a hamstring injury he suffered during track season last spring.

"It's winding down," Mays said of the recruiting process. "I'm trying to make a decision before school starts, just so I can get it out of the way and not have to deal with phone calls during the football season."

I guess this has been in the works for a while, but it would have been nice to have landed this kid.