My observation...

nvhusker

My opinion is that it was a mixture of not matching up well mixed with a horrible call at the end of the game that took what might have been a rough-riding comeback and turned it into a heartbreaker. I'm sorry, that call was pathetic and it altered the course of humanity forever. It's almost as bad as when Biff found the time machine in Back to the Future II.

In all seriousness, the call changed the game when it shouldn't have. As upset and disappointed as I am, I think the guys played with heart, and I can rest easy knowing that this game looked entirely different than it would have with Callahan and Cosgrove at the helm. That said, we need more talent. More speed, more coaching, more time in the system, more everything. And I'm suddenly not sold on Watson as the OC. Our run game horrifies me. It is the one thing that can save us from blowouts and it just isn't happening. Things could get ugly down the stretch.

Question: When our defense plays sub-par, why do you say we need more talent, but when its the offense that does so, its Watson's fault? Same can be said for the offense, our offensive line is just not built to pound the rock.

I wasn't excluding the offense. We need more talent period.

Touche.

The question coming into this year was , the defensive backs and will they be able to cover. I think after 4 games the answer is no. Between the 20's is a really weak spot for this team. Their good in the red zone, because there's just not that much area to cover. Not Bo's fault, just does not have the players yet, but he will.I like the no quit attitude in this team. I see one big upset coming, don't know which game, but its coming.

GBR!!!

The question coming into this year was , the defensive backs and will they be able to cover. I think after 4 games the answer is no. Between the 20's is a really weak spot for this team. Their good in the red zone, because there's just not that much area to cover. Not Bo's fault, just does not have the players yet, but he will.I like the no quit attitude in this team. I see one big upset coming, don't know which game, but its coming.

GBR!!!

So we've been hearing about the lack of talent for, let's see, five years in a row now. Maybe next year they'll get it figured out.

And someone said they can rest easy knowing that the outcome was different than it would be with Callahan and Cosgrove. You're absolutely right. We would have scored more points with Callahan.

We may not see another defensive front as talented all year, with the possible exception of OU. VT's D-line definitely is one of the top 3 in the country.

VT was better disciplined, better prepared and better coached. Their talent level was superior.

The Suh penalty was the right call - and it DID affect the outcome. Had it not happened, VT punts and we get the ball back, just as the offense was beginning to click and momentum was beginning to turn. All the while, I was thinking about the Michigan Alamo Bowl.

Why the offense took 50 minutes to get going is squarely on Watson.

Defensively, we need some depth. Hagg should be in there, no matter what the package.

Still, coming back from a safety, a near pick-6, and being down 18 to make a game of it says something about our resilience.

The defense gave up a couple of long drives and that's going to happen playing a good team like Virginia Tech. But we gave Tech very good field position on most of their scoring drives. They had some good kick returns and we gave them 9 points to start the game with a couple of mistakes that usually Nebraska doesn't make. I think the defense played okay considering they were on our side of the fifty for the beginning of most of Va Tech's drives. They contained Tyrod better than most teams would and they made him throw more than they wanted to.

We did score 30 points on Virginia Tech which is a tough task. I'm still disappointed that we lost, but this team is getting better.

My opinion is that it was a mixture of not matching up well mixed with a horrible call at the end of the game that took what might have been a rough-riding comeback and turned it into a heartbreaker. I'm sorry, that call was pathetic and it altered the course of humanity forever. It's almost as bad as when Biff found the time machine in Back to the Future II.

In all seriousness, the call changed the game when it shouldn't have. As upset and disappointed as I am, I think the guys played with heart, and I can rest easy knowing that this game looked entirely different than it would have with Callahan and Cosgrove at the helm. That said, we need more talent. More speed, more coaching, more time in the system, more everything. And I'm suddenly not sold on Watson as the OC. Our run game horrifies me. It is the one thing that can save us from blowouts and it just isn't happening. Things could get ugly down the stretch.

Question: When our defense plays sub-par, why do you say we need more talent, but when its the offense that does so, its Watson's fault? Same can be said for the offense, our offensive line is just not built to pound the rock.

I dont think our OL is built to do much

and then Cotton makes a dumb ass comment : <_<

Huskers still not concerned about running game

Robin Washut

HuskersIllustrated.com

When asked about what it means when Nebraska only manages 55 yards rushing in a game, offensive line coach Barney Cotton rolls his eyes and shakes his head.

In his opinion, the 55 total rushing yards the Huskers finished with in their 35-31 loss to Virginia Tech on Saturday were merely a product of the Hokies making an effort to shut down the running game and force them to throw the ball.

Yes, it was the second time in four games that the Huskers have been held to less than 100 yards rushing. Yes, the Huskers' leading rusher was sophomore Roy Helu with four carries for 21 yards, marking the lowest total for a leading rusher this season.

But in Cotton's opinion, there is still no reason for concern.

"I think you guys make way too much of that," Cotton said. "We're going to take what a defense gives us. We've got to obviously do a better job on first down. I think that goes without saying. That was kind of their blitz down. You can't become a third-and-long team either. Yeah, we'd like to run the football a little bit better, but I think we make way too much of that because we're a very effective throwing team, and that's going to be the way we are.

"We are a balanced offense. We're not going to be a one-dimensional offense at Nebraska."

My opinion is the Juco's really let us down and I don't think Mirillo or Asante are living up to any type of hype. In fact I don't think any of the backups would do much worse. They were beat repeatedly even in the last game. If you don't agree all you have to do is watch the game again, it was batenly obvious. The blocked punt.... (Can't remember which one it was) the VT player wasn't touched and he ran right by our Juco. Even a half hearted atemp would have prevented that. Infact that player didn't block ANYONE. He just stood there. As you can tell my very disapointed and frustrated with both of them. Maybe this is why we try to recruit players with high GPA's. I would say put a back up in and let them know, you have to make the plays or at least be in position or sit down. There is no excuse to have a receiver catching passes 10-15 yards in front of you and you should never have receivers 15-20 yards behind everyone running free down the field.

The Huskers played the whole game and not just a quarter, etc...I am very proud that they never gave up. Since the game is over..it is easy for all of us to say...could of...should of....etc. That game is over and it is time to think of the upcoming games. As far as I know..there were 4 teams in the top 10 that got beat yesterday...win some..lose some..at least the Huskers don't have a coach looking at a dang clipboard all the time in a game...that drove me nuts! Come on people...it isn't going to happen overnight for them to win every game and I am sure Bo feels just as bad as the players do..give him a break! As each game gets played..all the players and coaches learn from it and move on for the next game and all the husker fans should do the same.

yeah they didn't quit and played their hearts out but c'mon that's the least one can expect. Pointing that out as something to take out of this game just shows that there is not much else that has improved. The team is simply not very good. Sure nobody expected them to come out and beat up on people every week but I'm pretty sure we all thought they would look better than they do. But aside from the game against New Mexico it was basically ugly to watch the Huskers play. And weeks of truth lie ahead. Quite frankly I'm a little scared that the next two games against MO and at TT will be huge blowouts and will likely have a very negative impact on the rest of the season