Early in the game; 3rd & 2

TheKiD

I hear alot of people questioning why we don't run the ball more, and I agree somewhat. HERE is exactly what I have a problem with.

1st and 10: rush up the middle for 4 yds

2nd and 6: rush up the middle for 4 yds

3rd and 2: weird screen pass? completely busted up

4th and 2: punt

What's wrong with that picture? WHY OH WHY OH WHY did you rush it up the middle twice for 8 yds only to try a tricky pass play?

I think Watson gets a little too cute with his play calling somtimes. This may have been during scripted plays, anyone know? It seems these things happen more early in the game than later. Result of desperation, adjustments, or do we just need to scrap the scriped plays? This may very well explain why we have gotten to off to slow starts in every game this season.

Discussion please!

I agree. I haven't read any responses yet, but I thought about that series, too. We were picking up yards - I think Helu was in. It seemed another crack at it, and we'd get the first down. I thought, "we don't need another 3 and out here... D'oh!"

Overall, I thought the play calling was pretty Callahan-esque up until about 10 minutes left in the game.

Agreed, I think Watson panics very early and goes away from what is working. Instead of establishing a running game he gets to fancy and defeats why you have a running game. Being down by 9 points is not panic time. Scripted plays??? One of the dumbest things you can do. It will almost always loose momentum and the confidence in the team, early in the game. Bad idea! I was very disapointed in the play calling. I kept calling it Callahan like all game. We established nothing to keep them off balance. The whole team was let down.

And again.. you have to question putting Asante in the game. Sure he has athletic ability and is unbelievably fast but, is burned in crucial plays repeatedly. His effort at times is embarrasing or his understanding of what to do is completely abscent. Either way he has been a liablity we can't afford. Potential is just potential if it never comes to fruit, then its just a shoulda, coulda, woulda... they don't exist in my book.

You do realize that Tom Osborne scripted his first 15 plays, right? That most great offensive cooridinators do this? You just have to adjust when things aren't working. The reason for it is to get your team practiced up on the first few plays to get a rhythm going and build confidence. It does work, if you make a few adjustments to it on the fly.

You do realize that Tom Osborne scripted his first 15 plays, right? That the most great offensive cooridinators do this? You just have to adjust when things aren't working. The reason for it is to get your team practiced up on the first few plays to get a rhythm going and build confidence. It does work, if you make a few adjustments to it on the fly.

I would also add scripting works to put the game plan in motion - you predict what might work against their base scheme before the game and then adjust from there.

I hear alot of people questioning why we don't run the ball more, and I agree somewhat. HERE is exactly what I have a problem with.

1st and 10: rush up the middle for 4 yds

2nd and 6: rush up the middle for 4 yds

3rd and 2: weird screen pass? completely busted up

4th and 2: punt

What's wrong with that picture? WHY OH WHY OH WHY did you rush it up the middle twice for 8 yds only to try a tricky pass play?

I think Watson gets a little too cute with his play calling somtimes. This may have been during scripted plays, anyone know? It seems these things happen more early in the game than later. Result of desperation, adjustments, or do we just need to scrap the scriped plays? This may very well explain why we have gotten to off to slow starts in every game this season.

Discussion please!

Yeah I was raving about all night. Pissed me off! :bang

I knew that was gonna happen actually...I could just feel that call comming on. Made me mad too. I guess the idea is that they expect us to run too, so should we get it it could be a big gain. Probably why he runs that high risk play more at the begining of the game. I still have faith in him. The O still puts up big numbers guys.