A New Offense?

you guys are really quick to throw guys under the bus.

chill out and let's see how the rest of the season goes.

This is year 5 of this offense, with "top flight" (ahem) recruits to run it. It doesn't work. It wasn't that good a CU, it has been bad here whether it was BC or Watson calling the plays. A similar offense sucked a Auburn. If we don't have Joe Montana winging it to Jerry Rice and John Taylor, or Roger Craig taking handoffs, I would rather evolve to a successful college-type offense. Heck, the flippin' wishbone would be better than this crap.

What happened to the zone reads last night???

I like the spread, and all it offers but if ran right I think a hybrid spread/WCO would be a pretty cool offense. The safeties would have to play honest and it would keep the linebackers back on their heels and slow down their pursuit.

you guys are really quick to throw guys under the bus.

chill out and let's see how the rest of the season goes.

For the record I'm not calling for Watson's head, but I sure as hell am questioning his ability. With all the talk he did about 'being multiple' and 'establishing the run' during of the off season, I think he has some explaining to do, that's all. I hope he gets it figured out, because I just don't understand our offense's lack of ability to execute anything with regularity. Someone is to blame. As the season wears on I hope it becomes clearer who the problem is.

Thing is, all those rationalizations don't explain why we can't get two yards on third and two. I watch teams all over the country with presumably even less talent smack the big teams in the mouth with physical line play. Look at Oregon St. vs. USC.

Because our I-back starts about 7 yards deep in the backfield, requiring our O-line to hold blocks longer than they have the ability to do.

My onle complaint with the offense, and maybe its the players we recruit, but it seems like NONE of the freshmen can grasp it and it takes them about 1-2 years to understand it. That to me means it may be too complex. Who was the last true freshmen to see the filed a lot on offense? I look at teams like Bama, Texas, OU and hell even Mizzou that play younger guys all the time and they do well. Maybe its execution and lock of talent, but get your play makers on the field and get them the ball. If it takes a lot of guys 1-2 years to figure things out, then its too complicateed.

I think that it's a talent difference. Most of the time you see players not be real effective until they get older. Even back in the day when we rean option, qb's and other positions weren't really good until their junior or senior year. I think it takes a really special player to be an immediate impact on their team as a fresh.