Pelini

admo

The first big decision Pelini has to do is go to Beck. Have him pick which back is going to get the ball and stick with him. If Beck cannot make a clear decision, then Pelini needs to make it. He's seen enough through five games.

This team needs one full time RB to carry the load. He's the go-to guy in the running game. Even at that goaline or 4th and inches. He's the first down, the second down, and the third down guy. The backup will get a handful of snaps to spell the leader.

The separation of these guys is not that great. So go with whoever, it doesnt matter that much. That's not the point. Just play football with one back getting at least 80% of the snaps. The running game may not become wonderful and rosey, but it will improve.

In his post game conference, Pelini put the blame on himself. That's pretty cool and honorable. So as the leader, where it all starts from as he says, then he needs to use that head coach responsibility and go with one main back. It's clear that a rotation is not working. Regardless of how the line is going or if they have to pass and play catch up all game long. Go with one.

Y'all think that's fair to say? I'm not trying to be critical of Pelini. I do think, however, that he needs to tell Beck to stop it with the rotation of running backs, it failed to meet expectations. Then have Watson understand as well, so he doesnt need to have a 240 pound back in there to call an obvious run on 1st and goal or whatever. Be creative and earn your pay with the personnel out there.

I'm not saying he needs to do this. I'm saying he ought to do this. And he ought to do this like yesterday. :)

I wont jump out and preach everything I think needs to be different. I like a lot of things he's done. I just feel really strong about this one particular and obvious part of the game that has been going nowhere fast.

my > :rant

Fair, but who would you chose?

Lucky- Good out the backfield, good hands, gets up field ( when he catches it)

Helu- Strong burst into the line, doesn't dance, finds the first opening and dashes for it.

Castille- Strong Back, can't get a good enough read since he has only done short yard stuff.

Say what you want, I do believe Lucky does deserve to be out there, they guy was a work horse last year, and deserves to go out there and play hard his senior year.

The rotation would work, if the lineman could hold blocks for more than a second. <_<

It doesn't really matter which RB Pelini chooses, until the O-line can start creating some huge running lanes and improve their run blocking, our running game is going to suffer. IMO, Pelini needs to have a strong and long "coming to Jesus" talk with ALL the coaches and make it perfectly clear that unless he starts to see improvement in all areas (O-line, D-line, RB, DB's etc), someone is gonna lose their job after this season and it won't be him.

I think when they hear "building for the future" or "retooling" most Husker fans think "ZOMG! 10 Wins Y'ALL!" and think that those two losses will be by a combined 7 points and mostly because we got screwed by the officials.

I'm sitting here listening to 1620 and I'm amazed at all the morons calling in wanting to change things 5 games into Pelini's first year. Get a hobby or go read a book.

It doesn't really matter which RB Pelini chooses, until the O-line can start creating some huge running lanes and improve their run blocking, our running game is going to suffer. IMO, Pelini needs to have a strong and long "coming to Jesus" talk with ALL the coaches and make it perfectly clear that unless he starts to see improvement in all areas (O-line, D-line, RB, DB's etc), someone is gonna lose their job after this season and it won't be him.

:clap your right. Got to think Dr. Tom would have some insight on this, I am sure everyone will be evaluated after the season and the direction of the program will determine their future. I would bet that possibly everyone stays another year though...

Yeah, until the o-line grows a pair and act like men out there, it could be Rozier, Phillips, Green...it doesn't matter.

To the point however, I like the fact we are using three backs. Each stay fresh coming off the bench, but Lucky is our best receiving back by far. In this offense, I think if you were forced to pick one it would have to be Lucky.

I think when they hear "building for the future" or "retooling" most Husker fans think "ZOMG! 10 Wins Y'ALL!" and think that those two losses will be by a combined 7 points and mostly because we got screwed by the officials.

I'm sitting here listening to 1620 and I'm amazed at all the morons calling in wanting to change things 5 games into Pelini's first year. Get a hobby or go read a book.

That's not directed to me is it?

Correct me if I am wrong, but Beck "RB coach" is shuffling them in and out. Now if the O-line is giving all that they have, and the running game has not been successfull with the rotation, then why is it so difficult to entertain the thought of going with just one I-back? Seriously there are a lot more positives with one IB getting the majority of the load then a rotation.

With that said, I think if Pelini "Head Coach" would have Beck "RB coach" scrap the rotation and stick with one guy, then it may work out better.

What?

Now Bo doesn't know how to coach?

Either he does or he doesn't.

BO KNOWS FOOTBALL!!

we just post on the internet.

GO BO!!

:blink: huh?

I do know football. Relax dawg. Sorry if it bothers you or some that I think differently than Bo on the I-back rotation. I cannot be more clear: The rotating of running backs is way underperforming.

I couldn't agree more Addison. My choice would be Helu, I think he makes more decisive choices than Lucky. Lucky has great hands...put him in the slot. Castille scares the sh*t out of me every time he touches the ball, he's an explosive back, but tends to lose the handle on it

I agree Helu seems like he has more of a spark and when he gets the ball he has the ability to make a big play. I do not think in Big 12 play or against decent opponets that Marlon Lucky has that ability running the football. Catching the ball lucky is very very talented. I would like to see Helu with a good O-line though because he is special. I agree in splitting Marlon out wide his hands are that good and it would shake things up for another defense and you may have the chance that he would be covered by a linebacker if he and a Roy Helu are on the field at the same time. There is no element of surprise this year. I want to see Helu get a toss or something and take it and get to the edge and make things happen. The blocking on the premiter by the WRS is very good this year. There is no reason Helu does not get more carries.