Huskers think the run game will bust out

Guys, we had little to no offense last year against talented teams. We could not run the ball and could really only pass when we faced the 2nd and third team players.

This is what we have, all the anger calling them out makes little difference. They are doing the best they can do. We blamed the past coaches for their failures. That is the easy way. It is time to realize that we may have talent, but we are not smart, do not have a killer instinct, drive, something is missing in this group.

BC was considered a offensive genius. Coz had them working on occasion. We moved the ball on occasion. Coaches coach, players are supposed to believe the more effort the better the outcome. It just never seems to even out.

As I have stated for a very long time. This is not just a coaching problem. I am tired of hearing how the last staff did not teach them. If that is true this staff is not teaching them either. Do you believe that, I know I don't. But I do not believe the past staff was useless either, and now I feel even stronger about it.

Not saying we did not need to change. We did, but this goes deeper. There are no magic wands. This is a long hard process it appears.

Sad that it has come to this, but it has. We may never see what we had in the 90's. But we need to see kids that want to get better, that have the ability to get better, that have the talent and desire to make themselves and Nebraska better. I do not know that we have those kids now.

You make a good point. Maybe our OL just isn't that smart. I remember them flashing the GPA's when Wiegert was a senior. He was the "dumbest" on the OL with a 3.0 GPA. I was always told you need your smartest players on the OL. When I played ball, we really were bad. We couldn't run to save our souls. We zone blocked. The problem lied when the D's lined up in different formations from a 5-2, 4-3, 4-4, 6-2, etc. Sometimes we had two guys blocking the same defender even though a double team wasn't called for. The OL always blocked someone, but rarely did they block the defenders that needed blocked. Maybe there's a communication problem between the OL. I don't know what the problem is, but I'd think Cotton better be figuring it out.

You make a good point. Maybe our OL just isn't that smart. I remember them flashing the GPA's when Wiegert was a senior. He was the "dumbest" on the OL with a 3.0 GPA. I was always told you need your smartest players on the OL. When I played ball, we really were bad. We couldn't run to save our souls. We zone blocked. The problem lied when the D's lined up in different formations from a 5-2, 4-3, 4-4, 6-2, etc. Sometimes we had two guys blocking the same defender even though a double team wasn't called for. The OL always blocked someone, but rarely did they block the defenders that needed blocked. Maybe there's a communication problem between the OL. I don't know what the problem is, but I'd think Cotton better be figuring it out.

:bang Got to call you on that statement...bad grammar!! If your going to make a statement about how smart they are, at least use good grammar! :clap

OMG!!!

K, I'm a carpenter, the last 3 houses I built all collapsed, uh, cuz I didn't 'nail them up' right. DANG! I'm 'this close' to 'bustin' out' and nailin' the next one GOOD!

I'm a brain surgeon, my last 10 patients are currently 6 ft. under, but this next one's gonna LIVE!

:bs: IT'S TOO LATE for this friggin' bravado! Hey Slausen/Murtha,maybe U2 just SUCK! C the logic there?!

O-line drinking it's own :koolaid2:

Is it just more, or does zone blocking just not work in college. I guess I'm assuming we are still using a zone blocking scheme. We've heard/seen the same thing -- it is just one guy here/one guy there. It was all last season a five frigin games into this season and people still can't seem to get their assignments right. Does anyone else in college zone block? Are they successful? Why the hell can't we get it?

I think the zone blocking scheme can work in college. Chadron State uses it, and Danny Woodhead had a lot of success with it, but then again, he was a stud!!