Q&A with Coach Cal

Q&A with Coach Callahan

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Sta

Analyze. Refine. Improve.

Following a rocky first season as Nebraska football coach, Bill Callahan seeks a smoother ride in 2005.

To that end, Callahan and his staff spent much of the offseason analyzing and refining the offensive and defensive systems implemented before last season. During a 30-minute question-and-answer session Wednesday at his South Stadium office, Callahan seemed confident about his team's chances of improving on last year's 5-6 finish.

Callahan touched on a variety of topics, ranging from whether he considered making changes to his staff, to junior college recruiting, to what he expects from his team when spring practice begins March 23.

Enjoy the ride:

Did Nebraska fans' level of passion take you by surprise last season?

"No. I get it. I've always gotten it. I admire our fans here. There wasn't one time when I was taken aback by their support. That's why I came here, because there is such great support. This program and this game means so much to our fans. It's exhilarating to be part of something that means so much to so many people."

Can you shed light on the program-evaluation handbook you gave your assistant coaches during the offseason, and what you might have learned from their responses?

"I have enough confidence and security in my own coaching abilities to have people take an introspective look at what we do. I asked the coaches to critique every area of the program — the locker room, the training room, the equipment room, the secretaries, our travel methods, our training camp. Every facet of the program is being assessed and analyzed. We have a resourceful staff. They have a lot of experience and come from a lot of great programs. And sometimes, during the season, you don't have time to sit down and go over the things that cross your mind. This handbook allows the staff to sit down and think and assess each area so we can improve. I really value our coaches' judgments. And in the end, I make decisions based on their comments and critiques."

After experiencing the time and talent restrictions in the college game, what percentage of your Oakland Raider offense do you think you can install at Nebraska? Has the percentage changed? What's realistic?

"I've pondered that question closely. It's not so much the volume (of plays) that's important. Where I'm at with our team right now is the execution of what we're doing. ... After coming out of our offseason evaluations and assessments, I'm of the opinion that it's not what we're doing, it's how we're doing it. We have to get better. We have to refine in the second year. I think we came in a year ago and implemented a lot of things that were new to everyone. The second year we're refining the techniques and fundamentals. That's a major goal for us as we head into spring practice."

It would seem natural that returning players will now feel significantly more comfortable with the offensive and defensive systems. Is that a proper assumption?

"I think you hit the nail on the head. There's continuity and consistency in the coaching ranks here for the first time in four years. For the kids to have the same coordinators and position coaches, I think that lends to a lot of stability and a lot more confidence and less anxiety for the players. There's a comfort level anytime you establish experience in a program."

Following last season, did you give any thought to changing personnel on the coaching staff?

"No. Never."

How does your plan for this spring differ from your plan for your first spring at Nebraska?

"It differs in the sense that there will be more isolated drills that focus on the refinement and the detail and the discipline of fundamentals and techniques. Last year, I know for a fact, we threw so much at them. The players had to learn not only their assignments, but new techniques and fundamentals to go along with those assignments. That being said, the system's in. Now, we're refining everything we're doing within the framework of the system."

Looking back on last season, were there any aspects of the college game that took you by surprise?

"Nothing caught me by surprise. Not in the least. But one of the lasting impressions — one of the ongoing impressions — is that you have to recruit. You have to recruit and recruit and recruit. In order for a program to succeed, you have to have the ability to go out and recruit on a constant basis. Twelve months a year, you have to recruit."

Is the recruitment of 12 junior college players in your 2005 class a sign of things to come? Or does it simply indicate there were a lot of areas that needed immediate upgrades?

"I think we went out to improve the team across the board. Junior college recruiting is an avenue that allows you to pick up a player at a position where you feel there's a need or a void on your team. Will junior college recruiting be a trend here? I don't think so, because I rely heavily on high school prospects. You look at the teams across the country that have continuity and consistency, they're into that mode. Now, I'm not saying we're going to abandon junior college recruiting completely; I'm just saying we'll be smart about it and judge it as we move along."

On defense, in what areas do you expect to see the most improvement?

"Overall pass defense. It starts with the pass rush. You can't have good coverage without a good pass rush. But we have to get better in both aspects, coverage and rush. Rush will be a real emphasis this spring."

Can you identify a few of the most significant challenges your team will face in the 2005 season?

"We open up with five consecutive home games. I think that's extraordinary. I can't remember the last time a Division I program at this level opened with five straight home games. That's a huge advantage for us, an opportunity we have to capitalize on early in the year. When you talk to your team about goals for the season, the first goal that comes up is ‘Win at home.' We take great pride in winning at home."

What are the primary positives about living in a small Midwestern city for you and your family?

"Well, we've lived in these types of communities during my career, with the exception of nine years (in the NFL with the Philadelphia Eagles and Oakland Raiders). I see Lincoln as being very similar to Champaign, Ill., and Madison, Wis. Those places were very comfortable and friendly, and I see this no differently. Lincoln's a great place to live. We have a place in the country. We enjoy it. It's a lifestyle we've adapted to rather easily."

http://journalstar.com/articles/2005/03/10...d7551759587.txt

Man, Callahan is one intelligent coach, and I'm even more confident that we'll be back on top soon.

- He has extreme confidence in his coaching, but wants everyone on the staff to let him know how to get better. Great sign of a leader.

- He understands that he threw a lot at them and realizes that once they start to 'refine' what they've learned we'll be much better. Taking responsibility for his decisions and finding ways to improve, sign of a winner.

- Realizes we need top notch recruits to make it happen, and that needs to be priority 12 months a year. Great sign of dedication and commitment to get us to the top.

NU NC 08.

Great article and a lot of truth in what he said about what the team needs. We havent had a great pass rush since the 97 team that handed Manning his posterior. I am confident we(the team) will show marked improvement over last year. Mainly because of all the things stated on other threads: recruiting, JC and such. Glad to hear FF hasnt changed. Keep it up I like the obvious ploy of repeating all the same old rhetoric. Its a free country.

GBR

:horns2

Can you identify a few of the most significant challenges your team will face in the 2005 season?

"We open up with five consecutive home games. I think that's extraordinary. I can't remember the last time a Division I program at this level opened with five straight home games. That's a huge advantage for us, an opportunity we have to capitalize on early in the year. When you talk to your team about goals for the season, the first goal that comes up is ‘Win at home.' We take great pride in winning at home."

Not only is this good for the football team, it's great for recruits. Turner and Lucky couldn't get enough of this. Spring game is going to bring in a ton of recruits also.

I like that he is positive, but still sounds kinda inflexable, does he really have enough time to "refine" very much in a college football players career? I really dont know how complicated his offense is, but it seems like all the players had some touble adjusting. I'm also getting the imprssion that he kinda expected to lose, by the way he answered all those other questions, but maybe it's just me. Well anyway sounds like he's trying to foucus on the weak points of the team anyhow, thats good to hear.

1. Man, Callahan is one intelligent coach,

2. I'm even more confident that we'll be back on top soon. 

3.  He has extreme confidence in his coaching,

4. but wants everyone on the staff to let him know how to get better.

5. Great sign of a leader.

6. He understands that he threw a lot at them and realizes that once they start to 'refine' what they've learned we'll be much better. 

7. Taking responsibility for his decisions and finding ways to improve, sign of a winner.

8. Realizes we need top notch recruits to make it happen,

9. and that needs to be priority 12 months a year.  Great sign of dedication and commitment to get us to the top.

10. NU NC 08.

Good post, but I disagree, respectfully.

1. Not really, actually, not at all.

2. Soon, yes, as soon as he's gone.

3. Agreed, he is very arrogant.

4. If youre buyin' that, then Ive got a garage full of garbage that I want to sell ya. :thumbs

5. Great leaders dont take a team to 4-12 the year after a Super Bowl, causing his firing.

6. Yes, and it takes the pros at least 3 YEARS, FULL TIME to learn this system and all of its nuiances. By the time these part-time, immature kids have enough knowledge of the system to make it work properly, they will have been gone for 2 years.

7.Big problem here. Saying that once "they" start to refine what "they" have learned... is not taking responsibility. Thats called placing the blame.

Here's an example of taking responsibility (something callahan has never done):

cally, "I sat down and analyzed everthing the team did, the staff did, etc. and I came to find out that I did not do______ well and I have decided to change that. Also, I feel that ________ aspect of this system is not a good match for what were are trying to accomplish, it was too complicated and unneccessary, so I have decided to scrap that part of my offense."

Dont plan on ole' billy boy doing that anytime, period.

8. Agreed, but whos gonna coach them? If the system sucks, and the coaches suck, then the best talent in the world cant cover that up.

(SEE OU in the john blake era).

9. Throwing schollys at every top player on Tom "the" Lemming's Top 100 board is not showing great dedication and commitment, its called being ND from the 90's. Maybe if he spent as much time gameplanning and breaking down film to figure out what his team does well, he would actually lead them to a winning season.

Hell, maybe he could at least figure out a way to get plays into his qb :wtf

10. Possibly, if cally is fired and the whole crappy staff is thrown right into the garbage with him. Then we can get a decent coach who is actually a winner, ala OU with Stoops.

You could ask Callahan the same questions next week and get different answers. Right after the season ended in a well publicized article he stated clearly that he was surprised how much pressure there was at NU to win. What the hell does he think he was hired for? Well Billy the pressure is there. You have a lot of people on this board and across this state thinking you can do it. Show some results instead of being a great manure spreader. The clock is ticking.

Man, Callahan is one intelligent coach, and I'm even more confident that we'll be back on top soon.

- He has extreme confidence in his coaching, but wants everyone on the staff to let him know how to get better. Great sign of a leader.

- He understands that he threw a lot at them and realizes that once they start to 'refine' what they've learned we'll be much better. Taking responsibility for his decisions and finding ways to improve, sign of a winner.

- Realizes we need top notch recruits to make it happen, and that needs to be priority 12 months a year. Great sign of dedication and commitment to get us to the top.

NU NC 08.

The guy has had ONE (1) year to get it together. Could we please try to give him enough time to ACTUALLY see what he can do with a team that is not in shambles from 3 coaching changes. It takes time. Not forever , but time. We go through and have another crappy season ala 5-6 again, and then I might start to have to agree. Until then lets all remember that to judge a persons intelect and coaching ability after one year, with players that he is unfamiliar with to me is ignorent.Give this guy a fighting chance.Then if he fails FF can form the posse to run him out of town. :thumbs

- He has extreme confidence in his coaching, but wants everyone on the staff to let him know how to get better.  Great sign of a leader.

- He understands that he threw a lot at them and realizes that once they start to 'refine' what they've learned we'll be much better.  Taking responsibility for his decisions and finding ways to improve, sign of a winner.

- Realizes we need top notch recruits to make it happen, and that needs to be priority 12 months a year.  Great sign of dedication and commitment to get us to the top.

NU NC 08.

The guy has had ONE (1) year to get it together. Could we please try to give him enough time to ACTUALLY see what he can do with a team that is not in shambles from 3 coaching changes. It takes time. Not forever , but time. We go through and have another crappy season ala 5-6 again, and then I might start to have to agree. Until then lets all remember that to judge a persons intelect and coaching ability after one year, with players that he is unfamiliar with to me is ignorent.Give this guy a fighting chance.Then if he fails FF can form the posse to run him out of town. :thumbs

Remember Callahan didn't throw the ball or run it.