Carl Pelini at the Big Red Breakfast

This is from the LJS

The recent effort of the Huskers is building the kind of culture that he (Carl Pelini) anticipates will lead to success.

“This may have been the best week of practice I may have ever had as a coach,” said Pelini of preparations for the Huskers' road game at Iowa State.

He said people may laugh at this comment now with the team’s record at 3-3, but he feels a “championship-level culture” starting to build.

“I appreciate our older guys so much. I love this team,” he said. “And our freshmen are learning such a valuable lesson and what it is to be a competitor from these older guys and what role models are.

“I’m telling you, they’ve been faced with a lot of adversity the last three weeks and they haven’t blinked. … I’m very proud to be a football coach on this team no matter what our record is. … Like I said, I think we’re on the cusp of something great.”

I love this comment. Coaches always say that you play like you practice, so I expect the team play at a "championship-level" on Saturday and seriously kick some Cyclone backside.

Read the rest of the article here

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2008/1...c9646536871.txt

This is from the LJS

The recent effort of the Huskers is building the kind of culture that he (Carl Pelini) anticipates will lead to success.

“This may have been the best week of practice I may have ever had as a coach,” said Pelini of preparations for the Huskers' road game at Iowa State.

He said people may laugh at this comment now with the team’s record at 3-3, but he feels a “championship-level culture” starting to build.

“I appreciate our older guys so much. I love this team,” he said. “And our freshmen are learning such a valuable lesson and what it is to be a competitor from these older guys and what role models are.

“I’m telling you, they’ve been faced with a lot of adversity the last three weeks and they haven’t blinked. … I’m very proud to be a football coach on this team no matter what our record is. … Like I said, I think we’re on the cusp of something great.”

I love this comment. Coaches always say that you play like you practice, so I expect the team play at a "championship-level" on Saturday and seriously kick some Cyclone backside.

Read the rest of the article here

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2008/1...c9646536871.txt

Wow, that really reminds me of Ekeler and the super-duper gameplan they had for MU. Let's just hope they didn't peak on Tuesday again!

Jason peter was going nuts about this comment earlier today. I Don't see how talking about the "culture" is really such a big statement (in that it isn't making any sort of prediction for immediate future performance). It's actually kind of meaningless, because what is culture? A set of beliefs, values, attitudes, and behaviors of a society. So that means that htey're probably practicing well, have fairly high efficacy, believe in potential future success, and are being a bit more disciplined in their behavior. This is totally separate from champion ship level ability or championship level skill. I mean, look at USC-- they have championship level skill and ability, but they are lacking somewhere and the manage to choke on games that they're looking past. They had some good years, no question! But something in the culture is a bit screwy.

However, it was a very nuanced statement that was bound to be misinterpreted and probably should have been said.

Jason peter was going nuts about this comment earlier today. I Don't see how talking about the "culture" is really such a big statement (in that it isn't making any sort of prediction for immediate future performance). It's actually kind of meaningless, because what is culture? A set of beliefs, values, attitudes, and behaviors of a society. So that means that htey're probably practicing well, have fairly high efficacy, believe in potential future success, and are being a bit more disciplined in their behavior. This is totally separate from champion ship level ability or championship level skill. I mean, look at USC-- they have championship level skill and ability, but they are lacking somewhere and the manage to choke on games that they're looking past. They had some good years, no question! But something in the culture is a bit screwy.

However, it was a very nuanced statement that was bound to be misinterpreted and probably should have been said.

I think you meant to say "shouldn't"...right? If that's the case..well...what's the big deal? Truth is that's his opinion...and he's entitled to it. You know what they say about opinions. Maybe he overstated it a bit by saying "championship-level", but why? All he's saying...IN MY OPINION...is they've practiced very well this week and he expects they will play well. I have even seen practice this week...and I EXPECT THEY WILL PLAY WELL TOO!!! I think sometimes people create controversy just for something to do...

yea... JP was bitching about this a lot it seemed... but he said that he doesn't disagree that it was said... just that they are nowhere near to a championship level team so they can't have close to a championship caliber culture... and well, at one point, to one caller, he asked, how do they even know what championship caliber culture is? and the caller kinda waivered while saying LSU experience but that didn't really count so he can't argue that point.. i COMPLETELY disagree with that... you have the d-co from the defending NC... who else would you like to instill that culture? the head coach himself? that's probably the closest you're gonna get! so i can believe it, and i'm glad to hear the coaches say these kinds of things... because really, they haven't bs'd with us a lot... they've been pretty straight forward...you can say whatever you'd like about the Mizzou game plan, but we just didn't play them well. at all, in any aspect. the coaches thought it was good, and well, it wasnt. they learned, moved on.

Wow, that really reminds me of Ekeler and the super-duper gameplan...

Really? Why?

Because of the superlatives both were using. Like "best gamplan I have ever seen", "may have been the best practice", "championship-level-culture". (I guess not exactly superlatives by definition.) I like to see the coaches being excited about the team but I think they just go way ahead of themselves, especially since the Huskers have not yet delivered on Saturday (except for TT). The coaches seem like little kids that found out what they get for Christmas and they are so excited that they start telling everybody. What's the point?

And apparently he was aware of that, which makes it even less understandable.

I think you meant to say "shouldn't"...right? If that's the case..well...what's the big deal? Truth is that's his opinion...and he's entitled to it. You know what they say about opinions. Maybe he overstated it a bit by saying "championship-level", but why? All he's saying...IN MY OPINION...is they've practiced very well this week and he expects they will play well. I have even seen practice this week...and I EXPECT THEY WILL PLAY WELL TOO!!! I think sometimes people create controversy just for something to do...

Yeah, I meant "shouldn't have been"-- sorry, was doing a couple things at once. I only meant "shouldn't have" from a PR stand point. I don't think that it was wrong, and I don't hold anything against him for it. I think that it's, at worst, vacuous and at best shows a positive attitude that will make losses into learning experiences. That's what successful people do-- frame failures in a way that they can be educational. But it doesn't matter what i think, it matters that people are flipping out about it, as a large percent was likely to do. :)

I think you run into problems when you start throwing around the word, 'championship': it's very presumptuous, especially when your team is nowhere near a 'champion'. Even if you were of the caliber of a FL, LSU, USC, OU, TX, it is still rare that you end up in the no. 1 spot and when you fall short you are open to a bunch of awkwardness and critique.

Calli thru around the term, 'championship' alot and look how that ended up.

How about the word, 'winning'--attitude, culture, etc? That's what champions DO!

:yeah

JP was right. I mean this is the kind of stuff Callahan would throw at us the last 4 years. "we are right where we need to be" or "we are a great football team" when we were definatly not. I think we as Husker fans want to be good so badly that we want to hear something positive, but to say that we are almost playing near championship level is absurd. When we are beating the Va Techs and TTechs and Mizzou, leading the nation in takeaways, and not commiting stupid penatlies, Oh yeah when we finally have our BLACKSHIRTS maybe then we can start talking championship and being on the cusp of something great. <_<

I understand its just coach talk, but that's not what this coaching staff was hired for.