OL Stephen Schilling

Player: Stephen Schilling

Hometown: Bellevue, WA

Position: OL

Height: 6’5”

Weight: 285

40 time: 4.9

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Washington St. Washington, Nebraska, Mich. St., Arizona, Oregon, Missouri, Michigan, Arizona State, Stanford, USC, UCLA

Favorites: Michigan, Washington and California

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: #3/ :star:star:star:star:star

Bid Red Report:#2/ :star:star:star:star:star

Assessing the talent: Very similar player as J.B. Walton, another big time recruit on Huskerboard. He’s considered the number 1 recruit in the state of Washington. He’s got the power in his legs and upper body is built to for along with 4.9 40. He’s not sure where he will camp this summer, if at all.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 0% The Husker will have to fend off the PAC-10 teams who have inundated his mailbox. Husker are hitting the Pacific Northwest hard.

• 2 months later...

This kid is a member of the team that ended some California school's long win streak. Again, I would love to see the Huskers steal one away from the Pac-10 and especially in the state I now reside. He's just a short drive down I-405....maybe I can make a recruiting visit to Bellevue HS and hunt this kid down?

Bellevue High has won four straight 3A titles in Washington, and did end De La Salle's 151-game winning streak last year at Qwest Stadium in Seattle.

I can tell you that Schilling is a leader in the Bellevue program. This is a program that gets by with 225-250 lb lineman (except for Schilling). They have an all-year training program and win because of fundamentals. Bellevue is the strongest, most technically sound, and best-conditioned team in the state (if not the West), and Schilling is THE man in the program.

He'd be a HUGE asset to the program, a guy who could realistically step in and play right away. One problem is that Bellevue runs the Wing-T, and passes perhaps once a game. He'd have to brush up on pass-blocking.

But I don't think I'm getting ahead of myself when I say he could be an All-American.

He would have to put on a little weight next season if he wanted to contribute right away. A 6'5'' frame like that can easily hold 310 or 320, but that could certainly happen.

I always question that. He's 285!! He's 18 years old. If he puts on 10 pounds by next season I'd say his ability will easily carry him.

BTW guys great perspective on this kid. Good to see some Washington Huskers on the board.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We likely lose out on Schilling

Meanwhile, the state's other elite senior prospect, Steve Schilling of Bellevue, said Friday his top four choices are USC, Michigan, Washington and California.

"I just don't know how it's going to turn out," said the 6-5, 290-pound offensive tackle, adding that he doesn't have a timetable for making a decision.

That Washington remains in the running for these two blue chippers appears to confirm a resurgence in recruiting under new coach Tyrone Willingham. The Huskies have already received a verbal commitment from Jake Locker of Ferndale, one of the top high-school quarterbacks on the West Coast.

Oh well...

• 4 months later...

Scholarships offered: Washington St. Washington, Nebraska, Mich. St., Arizona, Oregon, Missouri, Michigan, Arizona State, Stanford, USC, UCLA

Favorites: USC, Michigan, Washington and California

Rankings/Stars:

Assessing the talent: Very similar player as J.B. Walton, another big time recruit on Huskerboard. He’s considered the number 1 recruit in the state of Washington. He’s got the power in his legs and upper body is built to for along with 4.9 40. He’s not sure where he will camp this summer, if at all.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 0%

• 3 weeks later...

Favorites: Michigan, Washington and California

Rankings/Stars:

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 0%