did anybody see pelini doing a bill cowher on the sideline?

shagg

I thought it was embarrassing. I love what Bo is doing for the program, but he is rediculous with the f-bombs on national TV. Last game against Baylor he pulled Wortman off the field and not only could you see him mouth the words F-ing moron, you could HEAR him. Nice. Get a filter Bo, when the word is overused that much it loses it's impact. The way he treated the media was inappropriate too. They aren't his players, they are professtionals doing their job, just as he is. He'll be on You Tube next and it won't be funny.

Wow... okay, where to begin with how wrong this post is.

First, they are NOT professionals... they are amateur athletes and if you have attended school at UNL you know you see them in class, around campus, living away from their families, their hometown friends... and not profiting one bit from it. So don't call them out as "professionals". Pelini is the only one on the hook for this and he knows it and is stepping up.

When he lucyliu said they aren't athletes, they are professionals doing their job, she was talking about journalists, not the players, you should've read the post more carefully...

Point taken, DCHusker... thanks for the clarification. I will be much more careful in reading next time...

"Tim, you really seem to have it out for Bo Pelini with some of your commentary... what gives? I do not believe his decision to keep his players from the media was related to "punishing them", nor do I think (as you state) that a 'better punishment' would be to have them go before the media and explain their actions... I don't know about you and how your job works but the team that I manage at work, I take full responsibility for them, apologize when WE make mistakes, and I NEVER throw any of them under the bus, because as a leader you just don't do that. Asking Pelini to parade his defeated and deflated team out in front of the media after a performance like that is actually like asking a VP to go into a big board meeting and, rather than explain to the board himself his division's sour performance, parade each one of his employees before the board in an effort to show how little was actually the VP's fault and how much it was his employees.

Emotionally-charged, wrong decision? No...

Your attack on him for making a management decision and ensuring his team is not demoralized further... WAY WRONG.

He's looking out for his boys and he's doing it in the way any leader would. If Bob Stoops had been on the other end last night, do you think he would have said "Hey, it's not me... ask my players why they screwed up so bad!" Come on, Tim..."

I'll agree with you that keeping them from the press was done to "protect" them rather than punish them, but I still think it was an emotionally-charged and bad decision.

Are their egos so fragile that they can't face the media? It's part of building a team with high character. Do the players owe the media anything? No. Are amateur athletes obliged to answer to fans? No. Does Bo have every right to shelter his players from the media? Yes. My point is simply that they're better off as a team if they're made to answer for shortcomings as well as successes.

DCHusker, great points and I totally agree. I think the biggest issue for me is that... yes, they are mature adults who can answer for their shortcomings but just like my example of a VP taking responsibility for his division's performance... I think it was Bo's way of standing up and saying "There is nothing that my player's would tell you that I can't..." He's basically saying HE messed up and letting his players answer for HIS let-down doesn't make sense to him. Although he was visibly frustrated with the play of the individuals, he is the boss-man and sees his actions as such.

Great points... I really enjoy your posts, DCHusker.

They aren't pansies, but they may be very religious and take offense at that kind of language. Knowing what a devout Christian is Helu, I always wonder how he feels about Bo and his prolific use of profanity. He probably just brushes it off, but the point is that recruits like him, who may take that seriously, might be turned off if Bo develops a reputation for this.

:cry Well maybe we should get a bunch of missionaries on the roster, then we'll see how many games we win! :cry

Football is not (or at least shouldn't be) for the faint of heart. It's one of the most violent sports in the world! And if you think a kid is immune from this kind of language off the field, your freaking kidding yourself! Besides if these guys would get their collective heads out of their asses we wouldn't be seeing these side line explosions, now would we?

It's apparent that most of you never seen Devaney on the sidelines!!!! You think Bo is bad....Bo makes Devaney look like a Saint! I have relatives who played for Devaney who stood in amazement at how many curse words Bob would spit out in one breath! The ONLY difference between now and then is.....Media coverage.

I agree, Devaney used to be a dragon on the sideline, and a taskmaster at practice from what I heard.