serious coaching question

I have 2 questions I'd be interested in hearing what you all have to reply to.

1. I am glad Bo is a firey guy who shows a lot of emotion, but whenever they show him jawing to the ref on the sideline whenever the camera shows him, who is paying attention to all the details of the game? Shouldn't he be worrying about some of the football game instead of "discussing" with the ref during the game?

2. How is it every other team has figured out a way to look to the sideline to make changes to their offenses which keeps the defense from making as many adjustments. When we call a play it goes from Watson in up in the box down to gilmore on the side line, who then gives it to Witt, who then signals it to ganz, who then tells the team. Reminds me of that game you play when your little kids and you stand in a line and whisper a phrase to teh next person in line and when it gets to the end of the line it is something completely different.

1. I am glad Bo is a firey guy who shows a lot of emotion, but whenever they show him jawing to the ref on the sideline whenever the camera shows him, who is paying attention to all the details of the game? Shouldn't he be worrying about some of the football game instead of "discussing" with the ref during the game?

2. How is it every other team has figured out a way to look to the sideline to make changes to their offenses which keeps the defense from making as many adjustments. When we call a play it goes from Watson in up in the box down to gilmore on the side line, who then gives it to Witt, who then signals it to ganz, who then tells the team. Reminds me of that game you play when your little kids and you stand in a line and whisper a phrase to teh next person in line and when it gets to the end of the line it is something completely different.

I think that Bo only "talks" to the refs when there is a lull on the field...I can't see him doing it through a play....

and I am nowhere near competent enoguh to comment on the playcalling...just a bit over my head.

I am so tired of everyone questioning what are coaches are doing! Last time I checked, they know just a TAD more than everyone who is blogging. Everyone was all upset at Solich, so we canned him.....then everyone was all upset at Callahan, so we canned him........and know people are started to pick away at this staff as well......GIVE IT A REST AND LET THEM DO THERE JOBS!!!! It is the people that complain all the time and don't know what they are talking about that has ruined many of GREAT high school and college coaches, and I just think its a shame.

I am so tired of everyone questioning what are coaches are doing! Last time I checked, they know just a TAD more than everyone who is blogging. Everyone was all upset at Solich, so we canned him.....then everyone was all upset at Callahan, so we canned him........and know people are started to pick away at this staff as well......GIVE IT A REST AND LET THEM DO THERE JOBS!!!! It is the people that complain all the time and don't know what they are talking about that has ruined many of GREAT high school and college coaches, and I just think its a shame.

chill out man, I'm not ripping on the staff. I like our coaches, it was just some questions I had.

In all fairness I don't think he was callin for Pelini's head or job....just askin a question...and this is probably the ONLY place where you CAN ask that question... so I think we can cut him some slack..now if he was saying that Pelini is in over his head and is in need of a plane ticket back to Ohio so he can rekindle his relationship with the Stoops family...that'd be over the line...and weird.

Wow. Have you not watched football for the past 20 yrs? Every NFL team and a vast majority of NCAA teams had an O-Coordinator in the box calling the plays, telling someone on the sideline who then relayed it to the QB. This 'looking over at the sideline' stuff is new w/the spread offense. I bet NFL scouts are sick that all these QB's are relying on the coaches for the audibles from the sidelines. The NFL is going to have a serious problem on their hands with such unprepared QB's. The learning curve will go from 2-3 yrs to 4-5 yrs. How many NFL teams can wait 4-5 yrs before a highly drafted QB is ready for NFL defenses? :rant

I don't know about any of you, I will be SOOOOOOO glad when this fad is either over or when defenses catch up. I hate games that are higher scoring then most basketball games.

Wow. Have you not watched football for the past 20 yrs? Every NFL team and a vast majority of NCAA teams had an O-Coordinator in the box calling the plays, telling someone on the sideline who then relayed it to the QB. This 'looking over at the sideline' stuff is new w/the spread offense. I bet NFL scouts are sick that all these QB's are relying on the coaches for the audibles from the sidelines. The NFL is going to have a serious problem on their hands with such unprepared QB's. The learning curve will go from 2-3 yrs to 4-5 yrs. How many NFL teams can wait 4-5 yrs before a highly drafted QB is ready for NFL defenses? :rant

I don't know about any of you, I will be SOOOOOOO glad when this fad is either over or when defenses catch up. I hate games that are higher scoring then most basketball games.

NFL qb's have speakers in their helmets. Signalling in from the sideline is an adaptation made by college coaches to do the next best thing.

Here's a serious coaching question, and I swear I'm not ripping on the two Pelinis but:

How different is this defense compared to the Cosgrove defense?

Because we're not just talking about position players in physical mismatches. We're talking about quarterbacks who have nothing but time to scan the field, and when they hit receivers there is not a Nebraska defender within 10 yards. If you blitzed a linebacker and a safety, you'd be leaving no bigger holes in the secondary than you already have with the guys in place. And as the game goes on, there is simply no adjustment I could determine. This was what Chase Daniel talked about last year....they couldn't believe Nebraska kept trotting out the same high school defensive alignment, and they realized they could basically do whatever they wanted. Cosgrove admitted he didn't want to confuse his kids with complicated schemes, as if they were too fragile and unsophisticated for the major college game.

I come into the games with tons of goodwill, forgiveness and optimism, but the part of my brain that really thinks can help but think there has been no step forward on defense, and that is the bare minimum of what I expected from Pelini.

I know this was Oklahoma. But knowing it's Oklahoma, you also gotta go for broke.

That being said, I smell a win against Kansas.

I know this was Oklahoma. But knowing it's Oklahoma, you also gotta go for broke.

When it's 28-0 5 minutes into the game, going for broke could have meant giving up 100 points. I suspect Bo figured he couldn't do that to his team, and unless every "go for broke" try would've worked without giving up any big plays, there's no way we were getting back into that game.

You might've seen a different game if it had been 7-0 at that point. I don't know what the game plan was, but I bet it changed after those 5 minutes.

I agree w the OP-reading between the lines-that there is no big difference between this yr's D and last yr's D, 'cept that maybe they attack more??

And there seems to be confusion in getting the plays from their source to the players on the field...no idea why.

But in the end, maybe it's a mute point since apparently God himself could be shouting ultimatums into our D players' helmets w little effect--they just aren't that good. :yeah