quarterbacks

The talent and depth is the question. In skill positions in honesty there was very little left and or recruited by the previous staff. Jimmy and Joe went elsewhere under Frank. Mostly because they were never invited to come here. You could see the speed problem in 2001 and it only got worse.

I think BC will get us back, but if he does not there should be no excuse of not having talent for who ever might follow him. He walked into a very bad situation and is doing the best he can. Who knows if it will be good enough but he sure gets my vote to be given the time it takes. He we 5-6, in 2002 if not for a couple of real cupcakes Frank would have gone 5-7. Look at things how they are, not how you wanted them to be. There were major problems for a long time prior to Frank being let go.

Could of we did much worse than 5-6? He was a genius? If he was a genius we would of made a bowl game. With a back up what would of we went? 4-7? big wow.

Easily could have lost KU, Missouri and Pitt. Wins against Baylor and W.Illinois, so we could have been 2-9. That's quite a bit worse to me.

Frost on Dailey

"Joe was so busy thinking all of the time, I think it slowed him down physically," said Frost, who started his college career in 1993 at Stanford playing for West Coast offense guru Bill Walsh.

Of course, the West Coast offense has evolved since Frost's days at Stanford. The Cardinal version no doubt differed from the Callahan method. Frost, though, offers a telling glimpse at the mental challenge a quarterback faces in such a system.

At Stanford, for instance, Walsh taught quarterbacks a quick three-step drop, a long three-step drop, a quick five-step drop and a long five-step drop.

As Frost stepped to the line of scrimmage for the Cardinal, he would identify possible blitzers and decide in an instant whether to change pass protections, all the while attempting to identify his "hot read."

Walsh taught his quarterback how to read pass coverages as he was dropping into the pocket. Think fast, is it man or zone?

Finally, Frost would go through the progression of receivers before firing the pass.

"Running that type of system, you can get in over your head pretty quickly," Frost said. "It just takes awhile to get comfortable."

Indeed, Dailey should be much more relaxed this spring compared to last.

Dailey retains a positive frame of mind, his confidence intact, said Hansen, who remains in regular contact with Dailey.

Frost, meanwhile, supports Dailey from a distance. Make no mistake, Frost is rooting for the Jersey kid. It's hard not to root for him.

"I think Joe has a leg up on the other guys, because he's done it," said Frost, who knows something about struggling as a first-year starter (see Nebraska's 19-0 loss at Arizona State in 1996) before dazzling in the following season (see the 13-0 national championship team of 1997).

As of Saturdays practice 3/25 Norvell had this to say:

N-Quiring minds want to know

Well, has anybody gained an early edge in the quarterback race?

Sorry, it's too early to say. Incumbent starter Joe Dailey and junior college transfer Zac Taylor, as expected, have taken the majority of the snaps with the No. 1 offense during the first three spring practices.

Both quarterbacks have had their moments, but both also have struggled some, too. Head coach Bill Callahan praises all five of the quarterbacks' progress thus far.

This much is certain: Offensive coordinator Jay Norvell said he hopes to have a clear idea of who's No. 1 and No. 2 at the end of spring drills. Stay tuned.

No green Jerseys this spring. We need that to see where we really are at the end of practice. I hated it last year as it gave us a false sense of hope on the QB spot. I hope the spring game is a real game in hitting and allowing the defense to play. I think things are changing. Let's all hope for the best.

No green Jerseys this spring. We need that to see where we really are at the end of practice. I hated it last year as it gave us a false sense of hope on the QB spot. I hope the spring game is a real game in hitting and allowing the defense to play. I think things are changing. Let's all hope for the best.

No such thing happening. All QB's are completly off limits for contact. It has to be that way, Oline is still working out the kinks. Qb's could get killed

No green Jerseys this spring.  We need that to see where we really are at the end of practice.  I hated it last year as it gave us a false sense of hope on the QB spot.  I hope the spring game is a real game in hitting and allowing the defense to play.  I think things are changing.  Let's all hope for the best.

No such thing happening. All QB's are completly off limits for contact. It has to be that way, Oline is still working out the kinks. Qb's could get killed

You're right. We don't want to kill our own QB's. I'll say a good hit-wrap-and hold would do though. Light contact. They need to work out kinks (O-line & QB's), but they also need to see things at game speed and feel real pressure. The QB has to know what he needs to do to make the offense go. WC QB's gotta have legs too and know how to use them.

I heard last night on the news that the green jerseys were removed in yesterday's practice. Callahan and the staff will tell the players when they are live and when they aren't. I am sure they will dawn them again in certain situations, but I think you have to take them away for some drills to see how the QB's react to a rush, being pressured, etc..

I heard last night on the news that the green jerseys were removed in yesterday's practice. Callahan and the staff will tell the players when they are live and when they aren't. I am sure they will dawn them again in certain situations, but I think you have to take them away for some drills to see how the QB's react to a rush, being pressured, etc..

It's actually nice that we have some depth at QB instead of trying to protect a fragile piece of glass from being broken like we had to last year. Let's see how the kids react if they get smacked a little.

:horns2

Norvell also commented on the status of the continuing quarterback competition, as well as the removal of the quarterbacks’ green no-contact jerseys for this spring’s camp.

"We’re still not where we want to be (completion) percentage-wise, and some guys have had better days than others, but in the long run I think we’re making improvement," Norvell said. "The guys are learning by getting experience, and that’s what we wanted. We wanted high-reps and familiarity with these plays, and they’re starting to get that now.