Props To The Unsung Heroes

The end of another football season is almost over for some of us. After this weekend, it’ll be time for Cy to put his yard marker in the storage shed and lock it up for another long winter. Regardless of the outcome of the season, it hasn’t been too bad of a year. The weather was relatively nice, nobody hit me with anything heavier than a quarter and I didn’t have to throw the marker down and run for my life too many times this year…all in all…not too bad. But, I always get maudlin at this time of year so, without further delay...it’s time to give props to some of the unsung heroes of college football (and not just at Ames but everywhere) who have given their time and effort to make each season of college football a success.

First up…props to the senior offensive linemen. Unless they foul something up, their names are rarely mentioned, yet without them, there would be no Ganz or Daniel or Lucky. The vast majority of them will be finishing up their football careers in a couple of weeks without a lot to show for it other than the memories but for four (or five) years they showed the determination and pride that goes with being a member of the team. Give me five guys with a work ethic of a Brandon Johnson of ISU. The teams he played with never managed a lot of success but he kept fighting. He’ll probably wind up back in Rushville planting sugar beets or what ever it is they grow out there in Nebraska but he will always be able to say he played D-1 football…and played it with pride.

Second…props to those one or no star recruits and walk ons. These are the guys that are just a little too small or a little too slow to start or even play a game on the field but just large and fast enough to be pounded week after week by the first and second team guys. Most of them came in knowing deep down that, barring a catastrophe, they wouldn't be seeing the field on any given Saturday, yet you can find these guys in the weight room, practice field and sidelines, putting as much effort in as the starters. Anybody who takes four seasons of constant pounding without any reward other than knowing his sacrifice is his teammate’s gain deserves all the props I can give them.

Third…props to all those little people, from the goofballs that run the water out to the players during timeouts, to the assistant trainers who have to rub cramps out of sweaty guy’s thighs on the sideline all the way to the dorks that chase the field goals or run out on the field to grab the kicking tee. A lot of them are volunteers or work-study students who could be doing time in the bookstore or cafeteria instead of freezing on a practice field all fall…yet there they are. Very necessary yet very under-appreciated.

Finally…props to the quasi-officiating people like the down marker guy and other members of the chain gang. Contrary to popular belief, these people are not members of the official officiating crew…just schlubs who want a good view of the field every home game. Unfortunately, most coaching staffs and players don’t realize the distinction between the two and make sure they include these guys when upset about an official call (Note to Big 12 coaches…I’m just holding the stick…I don’t make calls, don’t review calls, have nothing to do with calls so please accept this collective “f*ck you” for the 2008 season, and keep it in a safe place because you can use it again after next season).

That’s it…no props for the “featured” offensive players, defensive players (ones who play anyway) or coaches because they get ample opportunity to earn their own…and no props to cheerleaders because they get laid a lot and don’t need props…and the guys that run around in the mascot outfits should just be tossed on their heads from great heights…. <_<

Ha...loved me some of them commercials! The windows media link, in the below shortcuts, is next to the red circle w/arrow...enjoy!

Mr professional sports leg cramp rubber outer guy...

Mr nosebleed section ticketholder guy...

Mr outside the stadium peanut seller...

Mr pro sports heckler guy...for some of us on the board (Me included)