O'Hanlon on criticism

Link

Tuesday’s practice had just ended for Nebraska’s football team, and 11 Cornhuskers walked off the Hawks Center field sporting the most prestigious threads any NU defender can hope to have.

They were the Blackshirts, the men who wear the so-named practice jerseys as a sign of being the toughest, hardest-working, most-respected defensive players in the program. Some of them, like middle linebacker Tyler Wortman, were still in a little shock. Others, like sophomore nickel back Eric Hagg, were a little rusty on the history of it, but just as happy. Many of them were surrounded by reporters and cameras. How does it feel? When did it happen? What does it mean to you?

In the midst of that scene was junior Matt O’Hanlon. Despite starting nine games and being fourth on the team in tackles, O’Hanlon wore his red No. 33. He’s locked in a late-season battle with now-healthy junior Rickey Thenarse for the starting free safety spot, and that battle, according to O’Hanlon and secondary coach Marvin Sanders, is what keeps either player from earning a Blackshirt.

“I’ve worked hard and to not get one, it’s tough,” O’Hanlon said. “I guess it’s for a good reason. Me and Rick still have to compete. I’m sure eventually one of us will get one. They’re trying to motivate us.

“It’s still a competition, and nothing’s clear cut, so we don’t really deserve them.”

It’s been some ride for O’Hanlon, a walk-on who played high school ball at Bellevue East. Made the squad in the Bill Callahan era by acing a February tryout. Banged around on the scout team. Found himself at the top of the free safety heap – before Thenarse got hurt – because he picked up Bo Pelini’s defense quicker. Earned a scholarship and gained an extra year of eligibility to boot.

When the New York Times – Callahan’s favorite newspaper, you might recall - came to Lincoln one day before the Missouri game to report on the revamped walk-on program at NU, O’Hanlon was the focus of the story, reliving his struggle and rise.

He could have changed his name to Matt O’Feel-Good Story

Except that Thenarse’s injury, and Nebraska’s lack of depth at safety, put O’Hanlon in the position of having to play nearly every snap against progressively better offenses. He learned right there, with live bullets, as Pelini likes to say.

And the Big 12 is not the easiest spot for on-the-job training.

He got burned on some playaction passes. He took bad tackling angles. He missed a key tackle of Missouri receiver Jeremy Maclin on Mizzou’s third play from scrimmage. Because of it, Maclin darted to the house for a dramatic touchdown. So much for the New York Times.

Maybe it’s moments like that drive fans to message boards where they hurl unfair insults at O’Hanlon. He’s heard about a few, of course, aware that he’s one of the unofficial scapegoats for NU’s struggles on defense.

“A lot of the fans don’t know what schemes we’re doing,” O’Hanlon said. “Sometimes it looks like my fault when it’s not. That’s how it is. You can’t really do anything about it. You just got to buckle up your helmet and just keep playing.

“I try not to read too much of that stuff, but I’ve heard rumblings. It’s gonna bother anyone who hears their performance isn’t up to par.”

Oddly, being a former walk-on probably doesn’t help. It’s new age in Nebraska football, a post-Callahan age, where walk-ons, even smart, talented ones like O’Hanlon, are eyed suspiciously, or used as a symbol for what’s wrong with a given unit.

“Some fans, they see the guys getting recruited and they want to see those guys on the field. Guys like me who don’t get recruited and don’t have the big stars, if we screw up they automatically think ‘Oh, why aren’t we playing the guys we recruited to get here?’”

Funny, isn’t it? What helped build NU football is now an object of scorn in some – not all – fan circles. Recruiting services are wrong to blame, they’re just the messenger, and they don’t claim to be infallible or completely exhaustive. On paper, Thenarse really is the better safety. If he stays healthy and ever figures out how to play the position the way Pelini and Sanders want him to, he’s probably better on the field, too. Thenarse is a dynamic, risk-taking player. He creates turnovers. He gives NU a jolt of energy.

That doesn’t mean that O’Hanlon is worthy of derision. Fair criticism, sure. Every Nebraska player is open to that. But phony “please, please, please” prayers that O’Hanlon never again see the field?

Remember, he arguably saved a touchdown in a tight game against Baylor when he snuffed out a reverse. He’s been decent in run support. Because of injuries and strange spread offenses, he and strong safety Larry Asante have had to work with a revolving door of linebackers, many of whom were learning on the job, too.

Now that he’s likely in a rotation with Thenarse, O’Hanlon’s game might actually improve. Competition helps. An occasional view from the sideline can, too.

Not that O’Hanlon will be stuck there. He’s a cog in the Husker wheel now, and will be in 2009, too.

“I don’t understand some of it,” O’Hanlon said. “I mean, we’re all on the same team.”

It’s a thought.

I was just getting ready to post this :worship

It's a good article. Nice comment here too:

“Some fans, they see the guys getting recruited and they want to see those guys on the field. Guys like me who don’t get recruited and don’t have the big stars, if we screw up they automatically think ‘Oh, why aren’t we playing the guys we recruited to get here?’”

Funny, isn’t it? What helped build NU football is now an object of scorn in some – not all – fan circles. Recruiting services are wrong to blame, they’re just the messenger, and they don’t claim to be infallible or completely exhaustive. On paper, Thenarse really is the better safety. If he stays healthy and ever figures out how to play the position the way Pelini and Sanders want him to, he’s probably better on the field, too. Thenarse is a dynamic, risk-taking player. He creates turnovers. He gives NU a jolt of energy.

That doesn’t mean that O’Hanlon is worthy of derision. Fair criticism, sure. Every Nebraska player is open to that. But phony “please, please, please” prayers that O’Hanlon never again see the field?

Remember, he arguably saved a touchdown in a tight game against Baylor when he snuffed out a reverse. He’s been decent in run support. Because of injuries and strange spread offenses, he and strong safety Larry Asante have had to work with a revolving door of linebackers, many of whom were learning on the job, too.

The average fan don't know what is actually supposed to happen on any given play (who is supposed to cover who, who is supposed to have deep coverage, etc.). There are going to be a lot of breakdowns during a game, most we won't see because nothing came of them probably.

All I know is these kids are hustling, they are keeping good attitudes for the most part. That is more than we got last year. This is all a learning curve, and eventually they will catch up and we will be back to where we want to be. There will still be breakdowns, but less of them, hopefully.

I like where we are...and support what Bo is doing 100%. Coaches will screw up too, sometimes it isn't always the kids fault either.