WHo was the BEST NU QB ever?

it's a tie for me between Frazier and crouch both could change the entire aspect of the game with either their legs or their arm. you gotta give some love to Frost, Taylor, Gill Tagge, and Humme and the list goes on..... but these two from what i have seen where game breakers and standout's in our proud program's history.

Someone earlier mentioned something about Berringer getting playing time or fans wanting to see him play was somehow racial. To that I say: WTF? As I recall, the entire state held its breath when Tommie went down and Brook came in. Now, we all came around, but I don't even remember a joking "let the white boy play" thing akin to a Larry Bird or "Great White Hope" boxing joke. So again, WTF?

And as far as pro potential and the like, my recollection is that the general consensus was that Brook would be playing QB on Sundays, but no one, and I mean NO ONE, thought that about Tommie. Look at the stats that someone posted earlier. You don't play QB on Sundays if you don't complete half of your passes on Saturdays. We figured RB, WR, some kind of "slash" thing a la Kordell Stewart, but there was no way he was going to be an every down QB on Sundays. And someone also mentioned Berringer was slower than Frazier, but all I remember people saying was that Berringer was the faster runner, at least in straight line once he got going. Tommie had the shiftiness and toughness and had that burst, but flat out speed Brook had him.

As far as who the best was, I'm too young to remember Gill playing and wasn't born when Tagge was there, but I can't imagine either of those guys was better than Tommie. He was just a perfect fit for that offense. Did he have the stats? Not exactly (but option QB's don't get any stats for making a perfect pitch). And again, not the right skill set for an NFL QB. I can't quite put my finger on it, but you just knew the kid was special after watching him play for even a little bit.

Someone earlier mentioned something about Berringer getting playing time or fans wanting to see him play was somehow racial. To that I say: WTF? As I recall, the entire state held its breath when Tommie went down and Brook came in. Now, we all came around, but I don't even remember a joking "let the white boy play" thing akin to a Larry Bird or "Great White Hope" boxing joke. So again, WTF?

And as far as pro potential and the like, my recollection is that the general consensus was that Brook would be playing QB on Sundays, but no one, and I mean NO ONE, thought that about Tommie. Look at the stats that someone posted earlier. You don't play QB on Sundays if you don't complete half of your passes on Saturdays. We figured RB, WR, some kind of "slash" thing a la Kordell Stewart, but there was no way he was going to be an every down QB on Sundays. And someone also mentioned Berringer was slower than Frazier, but all I remember people saying was that Berringer was the faster runner, at least in straight line once he got going. Tommie had the shiftiness and toughness and had that burst, but flat out speed Brook had him.

As far as who the best was, I'm too young to remember Gill playing and wasn't born when Tagge was there, but I can't imagine either of those guys was better than Tommie. He was just a perfect fit for that offense. Did he have the stats? Not exactly (but option QB's don't get any stats for making a perfect pitch). And again, not the right skill set for an NFL QB. I can't quite put my finger on it, but you just knew the kid was special after watching him play for even a little bit.

Heard it with my own ears in the stands a few times back then is all I'm saying....it was there....

Heard it with my own ears in the stands a few times back then is all I'm saying....it was there....

That's sad...

That's sad...

Yes, it is--was--well, that's the world.... I mean, some fans wanted to see what Brook could do and also wanted to see him in there because he was white. They whispered the latter of course. I can remember it like it was yesterday. The fact that there are a majority of Afro Americans in football, etc., makes it absurd.

Without a doubt - Tom Sorley

With out him there would be no Tommie, Turner, Berringer, Crouch et al.

Why? TO would not be here.

Who is he? He was the QB that FINALLY beat OU.

(Well OK, him and a monster defense and a boatload of OU fumbles, one in the last few minutes to preserve victory.)

PS He couldn't do it twice, lost to OU in a bowl rematch

Without a doubt - Tom Sorley

With out him there would be no Tommie, Turner, Berringer, Crouch et al.

Why? TO would not be here.

Who is he? He was the QB that FINALLY beat OU.

(Well OK, him and a monster defense and a boatload of OU fumbles, one in the last few minutes to preserve victory.)

PS He couldn't do it twice, lost to OU in a bowl rematch

Wow, that was Sorley that year? Unbelievable. I was at that game, then the MO loss, and the rematch w OU...played in the band that yr.