Improving Defense

• 2 weeks later...

The stats show that Nebraska's defense has improved over last year. It is good to see them going in the right direction. The fact that the BIG XII has so many great QBs leading good offenses has to factor in as well.

Total defense #68--2007 #112

Pass defense #90--2007 #84

Rush defense #51--2007 #116

Scoring defense #88--2007 #114

turnover margin #113--2007 #117

The turnover margin is especially disappointing but the more they learn Coach Pelini's system the more that should improve.

Happy to report that Nebraska improved in most categories after the last game which does show improvement from game to game:

Total defense--now #67

Pass defense--now #91

Rush defense--now #33

Scoring defense--now #82

turnover margin--now #105

Bear in mind about the pass defense... Our schedule included the number 1,3,4,7,9 and 11 best passing teams in the country. That makes a difference.

:yeah

When bowl season rolls around we'll really see how well the Big 12's offense fare, I'm eager to see!!

I personally don't believe the league's defenses are all that bad, they just happen to be playing the countries top offenses week in and week out. Listening to the SEC-loving announcers on CBS every weekend, they'd have you believe the SEC offenses are just as good as the BIG XII's, they just happen to be playing the countries toughest defenses!! But after watching most of the televised SEC games this year, I've come to the conclusion that I completely disagree!! The SEC just has some horrible offenses!!

Here's to the Blackshirts, TENACIOUS AND AGGRESSIVE PLAY DURING THE BOWL GAME AND THE YEARS TO COME!!! :cheers

And add in that every Big XII team runs some variation of the spread, so that increases the yards.

I like where the defense is going though...

A lot of people are disappointed in our pass defense, but we have to remember that most of the quarterbacks in the Big 12 returned from a year ago, and most are better than they were last year. The spread isn't just a Nebraska problem, it is a everybody problem. I'm glad you pointed this out.

With the way offenses are run right now, it's going to take awhile before the spread is figured out. As I said in another forum, OU's wishbone was deemed practically unstoppable and now it is an obsolete form of offense because it's been figured out and proved generally useless. Defenses recruited big strong defenses to shut down the wish bone. With the spread, defenses now have to recruit faster and lighter guys. The team that is able to recruit guys that play like 250 lb. linebackers but run like corners is the team that will dominate on defense.

Offenses will evolve, I expect in the next decade or two that spread offenses will become obsolete and a team will realize the usefulness of power running games to counter the defenses with light but fast backs.

And add in that every Big XII team runs some variation of the spread, so that increases the yards.

A lot of people are disappointed in our pass defense, but we have to remember that most of the quarterbacks in the Big 12 returned from a year ago, and most are better than they were last year. The spread isn't just a Nebraska problem, it is a everybody problem. I'm glad you pointed this out.

With the way offenses are run right now, it's going to take awhile before the spread is figured out. As I said in another forum, OU's wishbone was deemed practically unstoppable and now it is an obsolete form of offense because it's been figured out and proved generally useless. Defenses recruited big strong defenses to shut down the wish bone. With the spread, defenses now have to recruit faster and lighter guys. The team that is able to recruit guys that play like 250 lb. linebackers but run like corners is the team that will dominate on defense.

Offenses will evolve, I expect in the next decade or two that spread offenses will become obsolete and a team will realize the usefulness of power running games to counter the defenses with light but fast backs.

To add on this.....They need to have field presence and the ability to wrap a player up "in space." The good teams like OU and Texas do that very well.

When they hit somebody, they stay hit.

It's a never ending cycle!! Teams will start playing more nickel and dime with smaller, faster defensive players to counter the spread. Offenses will in turn adapt by bringing in a power running game and force the smaller teams to bulk up or face the punishment inside. The game of football is a strategic cycle and I love every second of it!!

Bear in mind about the pass defense... Our schedule included the number 1,3,4,7,9 and 11 best passing teams in the country. That makes a difference.

not to mention we actually won games this year, and played from ahead... which means teams threw the ball MORE than they technically would of had to last year... plus like you said, the big 12. yea.