Bill Callahan to be interviewed

Wanted to start a seperate topic to discuss this Callahan rumor Nzone shared with us:

Of course by now most of you have probably heard that Bill Callahan is probably going to be in Lincoln tomorrow to interview from the job. Early reports are that he is seriously interested about it, and would accept if offered.

More from Eric the Red:

Bill Callahan is the next on the Budweiser hot seat. LJS reports Pelini and Gill to get their interviews on Wednesday. This most likely means new coach by the end of the week.

http://www.journalstar.com/corn.php?story_id=112085

Do we really want an NFL wash out? Obviously he has some talent, or he wouldnt have gotten to where he was, but there have been plent of horrible coaches in the NFL before.

He SHOULD be seriously interested. Not sure he will get another head coach opp in the nfl again for quite a while based on his meltdowns last season w/the Raiders. Likewise a high profile college position would be great for him to rebound and regain some pride and glory. So with that in mind, dont you think his ultimate goal is still the NFL? If he is successful and gets another offer from the ferris wheel NFL coaching circuit, he'd probably take it..

Anyone know much about this guy? Would his style be a good fit?

I do think that one year was a bit abrupt to wack a coach, one year removed from the big bowl, b/c a lot can go wrong in one season that is out of a coach's hands - injuries, contract probs etc.

And of course Alice Davis is a crazy old lady, so this doesnt mean BC was the whole problem. Although he did have some massive breakdowns, and couldnt control the team for sh*t, but yes the NFL is a different world. might be worth the risk.

I do think that one year was a bit abrupt to wack a coach, one year removed from the big bowl, b/c a lot can go wrong in one season that is out of a coach's hands - injuries, contract probs etc. 

And of course Alice Davis is a crazy old lady, so this doesnt mean BC was the whole problem. Although he did have some massive breakdowns, and couldnt control the team for sh*t, but yes the NFL is a different world.  might be worth the risk.

I don't think you can hire anyone without at least a little risk. Appropriately weighing

candidates and interviews help alleviate this risk, IMO.

I don't know much about him and I really don't follow the NFL that closely when it

comes to coaches. I agree that the NFL is a completely different beast than college

as far as players relationship to the team and having owners to deal with.

You guys think it will be by the end of the week? I am not sure if it would be so soon.

Someone asked me today when I think we will have a coach. I said "Well, for sure

by August." :)

The latest on Callahan is that he’s interviewing with NU today, his agent Gary O'Hagan confirmed Tuesday night. He also said “Bill Callahan would be a perfect fit for Nebraska” Obviously just pumping his client up to help him get some options, but I guess his agent should know bill and where he would fit it. He wouldn’t want another debacle like last season.

Apparently BC is also planning to speak with Tom Coughlin and the NYG about their OC position. http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6985185

Rumors also have him rejoining gruden in Tampon bay, but I don’t see it.

Here’s an interesting article from a year ago about Callahan. My how times change, but still gives some good insight to BC. http://www.sptimes.com/2003/01/21/Bucs/Cal...the_man_w.shtml

Says he doesn’t have much of a personality, but if he is a workaholic and commands respect, that might be good enough. We don’t need some yutz used car salesman anyway, we already got one of those running the department.

I think this is our best candidate yet and am actually kind of excited about his potential. His name still has that wow effect, he has a bunch of good experience, and sounds like he is well respected with good integrity. I like our chances of him working out. :)

rc

I like Callahan the least of the three people interviewing today (Gill, Pellini, Callahan). Neither Gill or Pellini came out at a press conference and said that he coaches the stupidest team in the leage. Neither Gill or Pellini had to have players protect him in the locker from being beaten by other players, and that is also something that is said to have happened while in Oakland to Callahan.

I just don't think he would be that great, but SP gets the big $$ to make these decisions not me.

Here's my take on these three guys (Gill, Pelini, Callahan), and how they stack up to each other.

Gill has been a loyal husker coach and has always done a great job for us... but he's not head coach material... sorry.

Pelini did a good job all season and showed some talent in the bowl game, but his antics and his overreactions tell me he was desperately trying to get anyone who was watching (NFL guys) to give him a shot as a head coach, if he did get the job at Nebraska though.. my guess is he'd be gone as soon as he got an offer in the pro game. And again, he's never head coached before. I think SP wants someone proven as a head coach, and proven in turning programs around.... which leads me to Callahan.

This guy is a great coach, and look at Oakland.. very physical football team, akin to Nebraska in a lot of respects... and he took the team to the SuperBowl in 2003! His team did fall apart this year though 4-12? But, there's a lot of things that have to go wrong for a team to go 4-12.. that aint a coaches fault really, plus I've read alot about players intentionally missing blocks, etc.. etc. This guy got a bad wrap this year, and if he came to Nebraska.. he'd have a damn good chance of redeeming himself, and that's just what he'd do.. turn the NU football program around and get his name back up there.... so he could go back to the NFL.

Wow, once I look at it.. I don't think I want any of these guys.. dangit NUTT why'd you turn us down!! :-)

later.

-Tk.

Here's my take on these three guys (Gill, Pelini, Callahan), and how they stack up to each other.

Gill has been a loyal husker coach and has always done a great job for us... but he's not head coach material... sorry.

Pelini did a good job all season and showed some talent in the bowl game, but his antics and his overreactions tell me he was desperately trying to get anyone who was watching (NFL guys) to give him a shot as a head coach, if he did get the job at Nebraska though.. my guess is he'd be gone as soon as he got an offer in the pro game. And again, he's never head coached before. I think SP wants someone proven as a head coach, and proven in turning programs around.... which leads me to Callahan.

This guy is a great coach, and look at Oakland.. very physical football team, akin to Nebraska in a lot of respects... and he took the team to the SuperBowl in 2003! His team did fall apart this year though 4-12? But, there's a lot of things that have to go wrong for a team to go 4-12.. that aint a coaches fault really, plus I've read alot about players intentionally missing blocks, etc.. etc. This guy got a bad wrap this year, and if he came to Nebraska.. he'd have a damn good chance of redeeming himself, and that's just what he'd do.. turn the NU football program around and get his name back up there.... so he could go back to the NFL.

Wow, once I look at it.. I don't think I want any of these guys.. dangit NUTT why'd you turn us down!! :-)

later.

-Tk.

I disagree about Pelini and his overreaction. He is an emotional guy and that's just it.

Not everything has an secret motive.

I don't know if I could have handed a coach name Houston Nutt. :)

I wasnt convinced Nutt was "the guy" either. But it was nice to see that his AD spun the situation to seem as if he were.

So Kid, would you consider Callahan to be a "proven" NFL head coach - even though the Raiders team he took to the superbowl is considered by many to be Grudens? I do agree however that you cant relate all the shennanigans to BC. There are so many intricacies to the NFL game that could start a landslide in either direction - which is evident by the dynamic playoff picture from yr to yr.

With that in mind, I dont think we possess the clout to attract a "proven" and currently successful NFL coach. So that results in us taking a chance on a so-called NFL "outcast" who wasnt very successful at the HC level, hence isnt exactly proven. A la Pete Carroll.

Personally I would be okay with taking a chance on a Bill Callahan. I read another post that said "Callahan could be the biggest steal in a long time", and I agree. Currently his coaching value is at the bottom - 1 yr removed from the top - so why not buy low and take a calculated gamble?

I understand the risk of an old NFL guy bolting back to the league as soon as he restores his name, but we have to recognize that we run that risk with just about any of the potential candidates - except Gill in my mind. The moment that institutional lineage was broken when the entire staff was revamped over the past 2 yrs, we lost that edge we had over other teams. Now we're right there w/ LSU, USC, OU etc with the rumors of their coach bouncing for the NFL - at least I hope we get to that point.

And just b/c an old NFL coach is successful in the NCAA, doesnt mean he'll skate. Pete Carroll seems pretty content at this point, although Im sure there are teams planning to swipe him up real soon. But guess what, if PC did leave, USC would have their PICK of the top coaches, b/c of PC. So I say what the hell, lets not be deterred by the risk of becoming a victim of our own success. one step at a time.

we can only hope to be so unlucky. :)

NZone quote:

Neither Gill or Pellini came out at a press conference and said that he coaches the stupidest team in the leage. Neither Gill or Pellini had to have players protect him in the locker from being beaten by other players, and that is also something that is said to have happened while in Oakland to Callahan.

I agree that he shouldnt have said it regardless. but do you think that maybe he was telling the truth?? his team did play pretty damn stupid this year. and I bet there are stories about players wanting to beat their coaches ass in every locker room. this one was just more compelling b/c cally fed the flames.

I dont think this is a reason to discount someone from contention. we need to know more. is this a character trait and a sign of a pattern - or just a unique incident? everyone has meltdowns. shouldnt EVER happen in the media like that, but he probly knew he was out anyway, and didnt give a rats behind. plus Im sure he learned his lesson, so now we have a more "refined and polished" bill callahan, at a discount price!!!

• 5 years later...