Tennessee to hire Callahan

I don't see why it's such a bad hire if it is in fact true. Last time I checked, Callahan had a pretty good offense when he was the coach here. I think some here seem to have short memories! He was horrible as a HC but he's got the crediblity as a good OC.

You go with that. We'll stick with reality.

Reality is that he'll improve there offense and bring in some talented recruits, how is that not a good hire? I am by no means a Callahan fan, I was just as happy as everyone else when he got the boot. But, for the specified position he should do a good job.

He hopes you're opinion is right.

I don't see why it's such a bad hire if it is in fact true. Last time I checked, Callahan had a pretty good offense when he was the coach here. I think some here seem to have short memories!

Really? I seem to remember in 05, we put 18 offensive points on Maine. Then, the next week, we put 10 offensive points on Wake Forest. The week after that, we put 7 points on Pittsburgh. The week after that, we put 13 on ISU in regulation (2 more touchdowns in OT).

Yeah, in 06 we put 50 on some people. Lousiana State, Nicholls State and a few others. Callys offense didnt do good against any top teams.

Bo's (?) offense put 28 on Oklahoma. 45 on Kansas. And for those of you who say Kansas isn't all that great.... In 05, we put a whole 15 on Kansas. In 06, with OT, we put a whole 39 on em. We put 39 on em last year too. The most points a Cally NU team put up in a year was 401. Bo's boys so far have put up 434, in the same number of games. Keep in mind, 401 is the most of any Cally year. This is Bo's first year.

So you are saying that Bo coached this offense? Sorry it was Watson. You are saying that Callahan can't recruit offense? Look at the curent roster and see if there are any recruits from Bo on this offense? As much as some hate to admit it, he can coach Offense and recruit players.

I don't see why it's such a bad hire if it is in fact true. Last time I checked, Callahan had a pretty good offense when he was the coach here. I think some here seem to have short memories!

Really? I seem to remember in 05, we put 18 offensive points on Maine. Then, the next week, we put 10 offensive points on Wake Forest. The week after that, we put 7 points on Pittsburgh. The week after that, we put 13 on ISU in regulation (2 more touchdowns in OT).

Yeah, in 06 we put 50 on some people. Lousiana State, Nicholls State and a few others. Callys offense didnt do good against any top teams.

Bo's (?) offense put 28 on Oklahoma. 45 on Kansas. And for those of you who say Kansas isn't all that great.... In 05, we put a whole 15 on Kansas. In 06, with OT, we put a whole 39 on em. We put 39 on em last year too. The most points a Cally NU team put up in a year was 401. Bo's boys so far have put up 434, in the same number of games. Keep in mind, 401 is the most of any Cally year. This is Bo's first year.

How did the Callahan offense/ play calling do at home against Sountern Miss? Yeah yeah yeah....they weren't his players but it was his play calling.

I don't see why it's such a bad hire if it is in fact true. Last time I checked, Callahan had a pretty good offense when he was the coach here. I think some here seem to have short memories! He was horrible as a HC but he's got the crediblity as a good OC.

:yeah He should've stayed in an offensive job...bad move trying to go beyond.

:yeah He should've stayed in an offensive job...bad move trying to go beyond.

I agree with ya 100%

IMO, Callahan knows how to run his offense. However, where he struggles, is actually teaching the young players how and why do do little things in the offense. That is where I think he struggled the most. He never actually taught the kids anything, he just had them run play after play after play and never stopped and told the kids why they were doing what they were doing. Some players can get better through repetition but some players need to know why to do something and how to do it.

IMO, Callahan knows how to run his offense. However, where he struggles, is actually teaching the young players how and why do do little things in the offense. That is where I think he struggled the most. He never actually taught the kids anything, he just had them run play after play after play and never stopped and told the kids why they were doing what they were doing. Some players can get better through repetition but some players need to know why to do something and how to do it.

In that case Kiffin better hire some people that can translate what Professor Callahan puts on the chalkboard and can relate to the kids.

It might be too technical for them.

If true, this will be an interesting experiment...

IMO the #1 reason Callahan failed at Nebraska was b/c he didnt have the balls to fire his buddy Kevin Cosgrove, who was clearly the worst defensive coordinator in the Big XII, if not the nation. But Lane Kiffin will hire his dad Monte Kiffin for DC, so Tennessee should be able to put forth a good defense.

Callahan is absolutely unfit for to be a head coach, but he may be able to run an offense well if given the talent. On the plus side, Callahan is a great recruiter (he had a hell of a recruiting class assembled before our 2007 season went down the toilet), but may have lost some credibility among recruits after failing miserably at Nebraska. On the bad side, Callahan is not a good playcaller (very predictable in pressure situations) & he has an 800 page playbook that will probably confuse the hell out of his offense.

I could actually see this experiment working but I can also see it failing miserably...should be interesting IMO