Omaha World Herald Articles

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=1386355

"Coach Bill Callahan has taken flak for wanting to downsize Nebraska's walk-on program, but Evwaraye said fewer players has made cohesiveness much easier to attain." :steam

One of the dumbest statements I have ever heard. I don’t remember TO having cohesion problems with 140 player rosters. But I guess that shows the difference in the abilities of the two staffs.

"Some Huskers mentioned before spring practice that assistant coaches had taken steps to get to know players better. " :wacko:

Wonderful. Instead of coming in and working with the players, they thought they’d do what they wanted to, and jam everything down the players’ throats. Typical of a group with limited coaching skills. A major component of building a team and chemistry is having a personal bond with the players, but this staff didn’t care. Why would they, these weren’t THEIR players. No wonder why they were ripe with dissent.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg...8&u_sid=1385304

"We're working on it every day before practice," NU Defensive Coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said. "Stripping and punching, every day. We want our second guy going in, after the tackle is secured, and trying to get that ball out." :o

Great job, mark my words, since they will be conditioned to strip and hack, there are going to be a few more fumbles caused, but many, many, many more broken tackles. You can bank on it, and don’t buy the “after the tackle is secured” garbage either. Heres a news flash, the reason why NU lead the nation in TOs in 03 was because the coaches had a great SCHEME that WORKED (thanks Bo). They caused tons of INTs, which was what that system was meant to do, unlike coz’s.

Cosgrove said. "Just from talking to some people, if you really want to put an emphasis on something, you do it as a unit. That's what we decided to do, and we've definitely seen results."

This guy has supposed to have been coaching for how long, and he just figured this out this year?? :wtf No wonder why the D sucked so bad last year, and why UW’s D instantly got better the second he walked out their door. More of the same until he is gone.

Did you happen to read the part about 3 of our best players rebelling against the staff, two have left for the pros thank god and the other seems to have a had mindset change.

Some where along the line you have the idea that it is proper to question authority. Players are not in charge, but tried to be.

Pelini gave us a great defensive scheme, but if Mr. Williams and Hollowell had not been in it, it would not have worked. That is where the rub was. The Bullocks and Washington wanted cover 2, (basically to make them look like heros), which worked with speed on the corners and rushing ability from Super D and Hollowell. With those two players gone our ability to disrupt the offense was basically gone. The staff is responsibile for assessing the talent and putting in what will be the best for the defense. When you have three very talented players quitting and continually bitching about the scheme, you basically have mutiney. And if your best 3 players are dogging it the other 8 can not hold it together.

As usual you take everything out of context. You take positive comments and turn them into your same old garbage. It appears there has been some steps taken by both sides to improve communication. That takes coaches that want to imporve and players that are willing to follow. Some how you have missed the idea of team sports.

Did you happen to read the part about 3 of our best players rebelling against the staff, two have left for the pros thank god and the other seems to have a had mindset change.

Some where along the line you have the idea that it is proper to question authority. Players are not in charge, but tried to be.

Pelini gave us a great defensive scheme, but if Mr. Williams and Hollowell had not been in it, it would not have worked. That is where the rub was. The Bullocks and Washington wanted cover 2, (basically to make them look like heros), which worked with speed on the corners and rushing ability from Super D and Hollowell. With those two players gone our ability to disrupt the offense was basically gone. The staff is responsibile for assessing the talent and putting in what will be the best for the defense. When you have three very talented players quitting and continually bitching about the scheme, you basically have mutiney. And if your best 3 players are dogging it the other 8 can not hold it together.

As usual you take everything out of context. You take positive comments and turn them into your same old garbage. It appears there has been some steps taken by both sides to improve communication. That takes coaches that want to imporve and players that are willing to follow. Some how you have missed the idea of team sports.

As usual, you are living in fantasy land.

Its sad when our 3 best players know more than the coaches that are supposed to have hundreds of years of experience coaching this game, but they did. Yes, everyone has and should question authority (respectfully, of course), that is how this nation was founded. :wacko: It was obvious that coz's system did not work, and Bo's did, that should tell you all you need to know.

"worked with speed on the corners and rushing ability from Super D and Hollowell. With those two players gone our ability to disrupt the offense was basically gone. The staff is responsibile for assessing the talent and putting in what will be the best for the defense."

Thats the whole thing, the staff is clueless. What do you think McBride did when the went to the 4-3, throw up his hands and say "SOB, we dont have enough speed in our lb's to run this D, so we'll just give up"??? Hell no. He went out and found players from his existing stock to put there and make plays. Guys like Dumas, Beler, Stewart, Shaw, McFarlin, J Williams, even Warfield in the 96 Fiesta Bowl were not lb's, they were dbs that the OLD staff put there to make plays. Hell, even Farley wasnt a lb, per say, he was freaking 6' tall and 205 lbs. You are telling me that there wasnt one backup safety, cb, or wr that could come in and add some speed to the corner??? Thats what good coaches do. C'mon, if you really believe that, then you have as little football knowledge as the current staff does.

Actually, I have know what makes team sports work, cohesion, comraderie, teamwork, work ethic, feeling of belonging, just to name a few. Those are things that cally, coz, and co. obviously havent got a clue about, look at what the coaches have done and listen to what their players have said, it tells the story.

Thats the whole thing, the staff is clueless. What do you think McBride did when the went to the 4-3, throw up his hands and say "SOB, we dont have enough speed in our lb's to run this D, so we'll just give up"??? Hell no. He went out and found players from his existing stock to put there and make plays. Guys like Dumas, Beler, Stewart, Shaw, McFarlin, J Williams, even Warfield in the 96 Fiesta Bowl were not lb's, they were dbs that the OLD staff put there to make plays. Hell, even Farley wasnt a lb, per say, he was freaking 6' tall and 205 lbs. You are telling me that there wasnt one backup safety, cb, or wr that could come in and add some speed to the corner??? Thats what good coaches do. C'mon, if you really believe that, then you have as little football knowledge as the current staff does.

Actually Ed Stewart was the first recruit that TO/McBride brought in to run the 4-3. All those guys you mentioned were the right size for college LBs. I thought Warfield played safety. What back up Safety or Corner should of played LB? Shanle, Siegel, DeFrand, Brothers, or Huston. None of these guys except maybe Siegel is anywhere near the size that the TO LBs you mentioned were.

Actually Ed Stewart was the first recruit that TO/McBride brought in to run the 4-3. All those guys you mentioned were the right size for college LBs. I thought Warfield played safety. What back up Safety or Corner should of played LB? Shanle, Siegel, DeFrand, Brothers, or Huston. None of these guys except maybe Siegel is anywhere near the size that the TO LBs you mentioned were.

Actually, youre correct that Warfield played safety, but in the 96 Fiesta Bowl, both he and Rucker made sacks against UF late in the second qtr. Warfield was put in at the lb spot, maybe as a nickel type guy.

If you check, J Williams played at 6'2" and 210 lbs and McFarlin was something like 5'11" and 200 when they both played OLB. As I mentioned previously, Farley was 6' and 205. Stewart, Beler and Shaw all played at right around 220-225, which is much smaller (and faster) than the guys that coz has playing his system. All of those guys (except Farley) were high school/JUCO dbs. Heck even D Williams and Hollowell played at about 210-220.

As for who should have been moved, since I am not at practice every day, I dont know for sure. That is SUPPOSED to be the job of the coaches. Instead of getting guys in position to make plays, they were more worried about sacrificing last year for recruiting, and blaming the players and the previous coaching staffs for not getting the job done.

Dont you remember how FSU, Miami, Bama, and finally NU got it done in the 90's: 2 DTs, moving lb's to DE, moving safetys to the OLB spots to add speed? Some of the best DE's NU had played at about 220-240. Harris, Alberts, White, D Jones, Hill were in the 230's, as was Wistrom until his Sr year. NU never had DEs (in the 90's) that were over 255 until Vanden Bosch played at about 260-265. Now they want DEs that are 270-280, which is great for the slow Big 10, but bad for the faster Big 12. No wonder why they are no longer called rush ends, and they dont have any speed off the corner. The 90's teams were smaller, hence they were much quicker to the qb, and regularly got to him, even without blitzes.

I say if you are not a fan of the program go away. I have answered your last stupid assed comments. This team is on its way back no matter what you think. Go to Onion U and follow them. They need Nebraska haters over there.

Stupid assed, that seems to fit you more than it does me. Read the previous response to Newearth as to why the Ds used to be good and are not any more.

Of course that would take a little football insight and knowlege, something that is obviously lacking in these parts. :horns2

skersfan Posted on Apr 16 2005, 04:40 PM

I say if you are not a fan of the program go away. I have answered your last stupid assed comments. This team is on its way back no matter what you think. Go to Onion U and follow them. They need Nebraska haters over there. 

all of you know he just dies to get a response like this, people get so pissed at him they sometimes seem to miss some good points that he has, sure maybe kinda extreme when he says it, but should you really hate that he doesnt think things are going well? are they going that well? im not saying hes right all the time, but i still need some proof myself that things are as great as some of you are acting like, im gonna wait and see how things go this season before i promote or denounce with the current staff. as of right now last season and a good recruiting doesnt make them much, i wanna see if they can improve on last season, that will be the test, not interviews, spring games, and recruiting classes. people shouldnt question FF's loyalty to nebraska, because he cares enough to be dissatified and want more, which i think all of us want too, and if you dont want better than 5-6, then thats just weird and i dont know why you would even watch a competitive sport.

skersfan Posted on Apr 16 2005, 04:40 PM

all of you know he just dies to get a response like this, people get so pissed at him they sometimes seem to miss some good points that he has, sure maybe kinda extreme when he says it, but should you really hate that he doesnt think things are going well? are they going that well? im not saying hes right all the time, but i still need some proof myself that things are as great as some of you are acting like, im gonna wait and see how things go this season before i promote or denounce with the current staff. as of right now last season and a good recruiting doesnt make them much, i wanna see if they can improve on last season, that will be the test, not interviews, spring games, and recruiting classes. people shouldnt question FF's loyalty to nebraska, because he cares enough to be dissatified and want more, which i think all of us want too, and if you dont want better than 5-6, then thats just weird and i dont know why you would even watch a competitive sport.

That would be a great point if he actually wanted more from this program, however, I have a feeling he will be pissed off at this coaching and team effort no matter what the outcome of the team were to be as long as cally and Co are here.