Husker Losses - Clemson Losses

Clemson Fan:

Great to see so many of you show up here and talk about this great Big XII/ACC match-up.

So, break down your losses, if you dare. Explain just what the h#ll happened.

For us, I see it this way:

VT: Prepared mostly for Glennon at QB; not Taylor. Taylor gets undeservedly dissed; he's good with his feet, and they took advantage of our inexperience at LB. We went -2 in turnovers, gave up a blocked punt, and gave up 60 yards or so in penalties.

With all that, we were still in somewhat of position to win at the end - a position that would have been made better had our coach not lost his temper and got an unsportsmanlike late.

Mizzou: A defensive game plan that got too cute and too far away from our basic scheme was our undoing. Maclin got in space and basically abused our young LBs and DBs that were often missing assignments and out of position.

Texas Tech: For as bad as the MU defensive game plan was, this one was great. We went back to basics here. On the road, we played high-powered TT step for step. Larry Asante (#4- DB) stepped up huge in this game, and Roy Helu (#10 - RB) broke out. TT converted a wacky 4th down for a TD that NEVER should have happened. Had we held and got the ball back, momentum would've shifted for good, and we hand #2-ranked TT its first loss. We managed to get it to OT. After TT scored, our possession was short-lived. Ganz got caught from behind and the pass sailed on him and got picked - game over.

OU: In Norman, this one started ugly. We gave up a pick six to open the scoring and it went downhill from there. A couple of good runs by Helu brightened things up, but we were just never in this one. OU will probably beat FLA - maybe pretty soundly with their speedy defense.

What about you Tigers?

Clemson Fan:

Great to see so many of you show up here and talk about this great Big XII/ACC match-up.

VT: Prepared mostly for Glennon at QB; not Taylor. Taylor gets undeservedly dissed; he's good with his feet, and they took advantage of our inexperience at LB. We went -2 in turnovers, gave up a blocked punt, and gave up 60 yards or so in penalties.

With all that, we were still in somewhat of position to win at the end - a position that would have been made better had our coach not lost his temper and got an unsportsmanlike late.

Mizzou: A defensive game plan that got too cute and too far away from our basic scheme was our undoing. Maclin got in space and basically abused our young LBs and DBs that were often missing assignments and out of position.

Texas Tech: For as bad as the MU defensive game plan was, this one was great. We went back to basics here. On the road, we played high-powered TT step for step. Larry Asante (#4- DB) stepped up huge in this game, and Roy Helu (#10 - RB) broke out. TT converted a wacky 4th down for a TD that NEVER should have happened. Had we held and got the ball back, momentum would've shifted for good, and we hand #2-ranked TT its first loss. We managed to get it to OT. After TT scored, our possession was short-lived. Ganz got caught from behind and the pass sailed on him and got picked - game over.

OU: In Norman, this one started ugly. We gave up a pick six to open the scoring and it went downhill from there. A couple of good runs by Helu brightened things up, but we were just never in this one. OU will probably beat FLA - maybe pretty soundly with their speedy defense.

What about you Tigers?

Alabama: Obviously, in hindsight Alabama is much better than we thought, and Clemson wasn't as good as we thought. But as for the game, we came in soft, expecting to win easily. We only scored a TD on a kickoff return by CJ Spiller. I was at the game and left early in the 4th quarter because I was just embarrassed at how bad Bama was manhandling us. 34-10.

Maryland: The beginning of the end for Bowden. We physically dominated the first half, running the ball down there throats and are up 17-6 at half. So guess what? We decide that we need to throw the ball in the second half and Maryland comes back and wins. I was sick after this game because of the offensive playcalling. Defense had us in the position to win the game. Fourth and inches on our last drive, and a QB sneak gets stuffed to basically end the game.

Wake Forest: No offense at all. The final score ended up being somewhere like 12-7. Again defense had us in position to win, offense floundered. Bowden refuses to blame Rob Spence (the OC) and says that our offensive players just didn't make plays.

Bowden would not fire the OC so he himself got the axe, according to my sources. Dabo Swinney was named interim head coach and immediately fires Spence. Start Dabo era.

Georgia Tech: Honestly, I didn't really expect to win this one. Dabo had taken over on Monday of this week, but we played much better against them. Dabo kind of had his hands tied offensively, because he was stuck with Spence's offense. There was an immediate improvement in the playcalling, although it was the same plays. Tigers lose 20-17, but still most Tiger fans were pleased with what they saw for Dabo's first game.

Florida State: We had our chances in this game, but ultimately didn't play well down the stretch. This game and the Alabama game were the two games that our defense didn't have us in position to win. It was a hard fought game, but the Tigers lose by two scores.

I am looking forward to this game...and I am hoping that both teams are at the top of their game for it. I think it is a great match up on paper, and I like the idea of two new coaches facing off. Bo has had a little more time, but there has been a learning curve for him, especially on offense. Nebraska has not had any real coaching until this year, and it really showed at the beginning of the season. Bo hung in there, kept the motivation personally and it translated over to the team. Everyone - coaches, and players, started taking responsibility, something that had been lacking until this year. I think the coaches kept the faith with some of the players even when the fans were starting to question their ability.

This has been a pretty good ride this season in retrospect for Husker fans. It was a little shaky at the beginning of the season, but the improvement began to come out and was seen.

Clemson sounds like they could have easily hit some serious skids if the university had not taken some proactive measures to right the ship. This is something that Nebraska should have had a couple years ago in the least. But we had a AD that was too hard headed and would not admit that he made a bad choice for HC, and was determined to let it play out. In the end, it cost him his job, as well as the HC and the majority of the assistant coaches, and created an attitude among the players that was like poison, and the fans knew it.

Clemson fans, be glad that your team was able to take the steps necessary not to go rolling downhill like a snowball until it was out of control and had no option but to crash and start all over as we kind of had to do.

I am looking forward to this game...and I am hoping that both teams are at the top of their game for it. I think it is a great match up on paper, and I like the idea of two new coaches facing off. Bo has had a little more time, but there has been a learning curve for him, especially on offense. Nebraska has not had any real coaching until this year, and it really showed at the beginning of the season. Bo hung in there, kept the motivation personally and it translated over to the team. Everyone - coaches, and players, started taking responsibility, something that had been lacking until this year. I think the coaches kept the faith with some of the players even when the fans were starting to question their ability.

This has been a pretty good ride this season in retrospect for Husker fans. It was a little shaky at the beginning of the season, but the improvement began to come out and was seen.

Clemson sounds like they could have easily hit some serious skids if the university had not taken some proactive measures to right the ship. This is something that Nebraska should have had a couple years ago in the least. But we had a AD that was too hard headed and would not admit that he made a bad choice for HC, and was determined to let it play out. In the end, it cost him his job, as well as the HC and the majority of the assistant coaches, and created an attitude among the players that was like poison, and the fans knew it.

Clemson fans, be glad that your team was able to take the steps necessary not to go rolling downhill like a snowball until it was out of control and had no option but to crash and start all over as we kind of had to do.

Well put. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Two of our losses were extremely competitive. One of which happened in over time with one of the best offenses in the nation. Not that we have any room for excuses, but we're an 8-4 team looking back with the knowledge that 10-2 was right within reach. I'm pretty optimistic about the state of our program and our chances in this game. I'm not sure Clemson has seen anything quite like how the Big XII plays offense.

Couple things about the two close games we lossed.

With the game at Virginia Tech, not only did our defense have miscues but our offense was very complex and too far out there. After the VaTech game we trimmed down our offensive scheme so the players could adjust, thus our offense really started to click. Had our offense been trimmed down PRE-VaTech I think we might have won.

And although we took Texas Tech into overtime, the only reason we were in that game was because of our T.O.P. and our offense. I don't know the exact stats, but I do know that TT scored on almost every single drive they had with the exception of one or two. That's how Nebraska's has approached games this season.

If we get in a shootout we'll probably implode and not win (like against CU in 2007). That's why we need T.O.P. to favor us so our defense isn't on the field so much.

With the game at Virginia Tech, not only did our defense have miscues but our offense was very complex and too far out there. After the VaTech game we trimmed down our offensive scheme so the players could adjust, thus our offense really started to click. Had our offense been trimmed down PRE-VaTech I think we might have won.

And although we took Texas Tech into overtime, the only reason we were in that game was because of our T.O.P. and our offense. I don't know the exact stats, but I do know that TT scored on almost every single drive they had with the exception of one or two. That's how Nebraska's has approached games this season.

If we get in a shootout we'll probably implode and not win (like against CU in 2007). That's why we need T.O.P. to favor us so our defense isn't on the field so much.

TOP is everything with this team...but that has kind of been needed in Nebraska for a long time, hasn't it?

TOP is everything with this team...but that has kind of been needed in Nebraska for a long time, hasn't it?

Without a doubt, and now more than ever with our still-in-progress defense. I have no doubt Carl and Bo will get this team where it needs to be defensively, but we need a ball-controlling offense to make it easier on the defense without question.

***SNIP***

Alabama: Obviously, in hindsight Alabama is much better than we thought, and Clemson wasn't as good as we thought. But as for the game, we came in soft, expecting to win easily. We only scored a TD on a kickoff return by CJ Spiller. I was at the game and left early in the 4th quarter because I was just embarrassed at how bad Bama was manhandling us. 34-10.

***SNIP***

I think that's a pretty spot-on observation. While, as you noted, Alabama proved to be better by far than the prognosticators gave them credit, it sure seemed to me that in that game Clemson had been reading their press clippings waaaaaaaay too much in the preseason. Would be interesting to replay that game and have Clemson come out with real hunger. Imagine how the season for both teams could have turned out.

Clemson Fan:

What about you Tigers?

Maryland: The beginning of the end for Bowden. We physically dominated the first half, running the ball down there throats and are up 17-6 at half. So guess what? We decide that we need to throw the ball in the second half and Maryland comes back and wins. I was sick after this game because of the offensive playcalling. Defense had us in the position to win the game. Fourth and inches on our last drive, and a QB sneak gets stuffed to basically end the game.

Wake Forest: No offense at all. The final score ended up being somewhere like 12-7. Again defense had us in position to win, offense floundered. Bowden refuses to blame Rob Spence (the OC) and says that our offensive players just didn't make plays.

Bowden would not fire the OC so he himself got the axe, according to my sources. Dabo Swinney was named interim head coach and immediately fires Spence. Start Dabo era.

Georgia Tech: Honestly, I didn't really expect to win this one. Dabo had taken over on Monday of this week, but we played much better against them. Dabo kind of had his hands tied offensively, because he was stuck with Spence's offense. There was an immediate improvement in the playcalling, although it was the same plays. Tigers lose 20-17, but still most Tiger fans were pleased with what they saw for Dabo's first game.

Florida State: We had our chances in this game, but ultimately didn't play well down the stretch. This game and the Alabama game were the two games that our defense didn't have us in position to win. It was a hard fought game, but the Tigers lose by two scores.

note- cj spiller was hurt and didnt play in the ga tech game