A Call for Cautious Optimism

While like most of you I was ecstatic to see Zac Taylor's numbers during the Spring Game (20-27, 357 yds, 3 TDs) but I think we need to exhibit some cautious optimism. Things are going to be better in 2005 but we have to remember Joe Dailey had a great Spring Game last year as well. But currently we don't have tremendous depth at QB and if Zac were to get hurt, we could find ourselves in trouble. Enter Harrison Beck....if he has a great fall practice he definitely could help provide depth. Additionally, the defense remains questionable. We still need depth in the secondary. We have some talented defensive guys coming back and some good additions with Steve Octavien and others. The receiving corp showed during the Spring Game that if you get the ball to them they are very capable of making big plays...very encouraging! It looks like the running back stable is full with Cory Ross and Marlon Lucky.

I must admit that I'm still not sold on Coz as a defensive coordinator but am willing to see if things improve this year. If the defense can produce we could have a very good team.

Let's remain cautiously optimistic and hope for a great Fall practice. I'm looking forward to the addition of the new players coming in.

An 8-4 or 9-3 is very possible.

I'd agree with most of what you have said. However, Dailey didn't have near the game that Taylor did. Dailey was 29-49 with an interception, Taylor was 20-27 with no interceptions and over 100 more yards. I am no longer convinced that Harrison Beck is going to redshirt. I still think he might, but if Taylor gets hurt at some point, even for a few plays, the next best QB has to go in there, and that just may be Beck. Even if he will be on campus for maybe a month, he may be the only one really pushing Taylor to improve.

I disagree totally on Joe having a great game last year. I posted from that day forward we had real problems at QB( on BHF). Have not been here that long. He could not look off a DB, tracked from the snap and always threw behind the receiver. Could not hit a deep route. Joe had a descent game made by the coaching staff.

I do not like the way the spring games have been played the last two years. I feel the 1st teams are loaded with anyone that might be a 1st teamer. We need to see the 1 vs 1 to know where we really are. I doubt it would have been as pretty as it was. Not saying I am disappointed with Zach by any means. He did a materful job and looks like he will be the man. I would just rather have seen talent against talent. I am concerned about are lack of running ability with this Oline against the 3rd and 4th teamers.

All in all though I think we are much better this year than last at this time. It seems the team is meshing together and the staff knows more of what to expect from the players. It appears the players are beginning to understand what the coaches expect and want from them. I have heard the Daniel is becoming a leader on the defense, this is a far cry from last year. If he truly has bought in this year the defense will be much better than last year. I can hardly wait for more of the JUCO's to get here and the Freshman. I have much better feelings about this team than last years.

I do not like the way the spring games have been played the last two years. I feel the 1st teams are loaded with anyone that might be a 1st teamer. We need to see the 1 vs 1 to know where we really are. I doubt it would have been as pretty as it was.... I would just rather have seen talent against talent. I am concerned about are lack of running ability with this Oline against the 3rd and 4th teamers.

Agreed, that is what I have been saying if ya'll stop and listen for a minute.

I think the receivers looked good, but Zach made them look good. Just think what the receiver recruits will look like. I am optimistic, and I think a 8-3, 9-2 season is entirely within reason. We are no where near a championship team, but with a little more depth and practice, we could be in a few years.

I think the receivers looked good, but Zach made them look good. Just think what the receiver recruits will look like. I am optimistic, and I think a 8-3, 9-2 season is entirely within reason. We are no where near a championship team, but with a little more depth and practice, we could be in a few years.

I'm going to lead toward Kramer on this one. LeFlore especially just dropped too many passes. For D1 level, not enough consistency. Chris Brooks and Hardy are going to need to be all there said to be. We didn't have a single threat last year at recieiver. No one to take a five yard hook and take it the distance after a move or two.

IMO I think you all are off base a little in this thread - with the influx of players come this fall I think the D will be just fine along with the receivers,running backs and the QB position - but the O-line is where the real problem is going to be. These guys need to have their assignments down and be a cohesive unit (this only comes with time). Only saving this unit is the fact that we have 6 home games to start the season - hopfully they start to gel in the OOC games. BEST OF LUCK BOYS

:cheers:cheers

Some good points made on Hardy and Brooks....How huge would that be to have a receiver or receivers who have the ability to make a play after the catch? Guys that make the juke or quick cut and gain positive yardage or even break 'em wide open for TDs? Would be a serious compliment to the stable or running backs the Husker will have.

• 3 weeks later...
While like most of you I was ecstatic to see Zac Taylor's numbers during the Spring Game (20-27, 357 yds, 3 TDs) but I think we need to exhibit some cautious optimism. Things are going to be better in 2005 but we have to remember Joe Dailey had a great Spring Game last year as well. But currently we don't have tremendous depth at QB and if Zac were to get hurt, we could find ourselves in trouble. Enter Harrison Beck....if he has a great fall practice he definitely could help provide depth. Additionally, the defense remains questionable. We still need depth in the secondary. We have some talented defensive guys coming back and some good additions with Steve Octavien and others. The receiving corp showed during the Spring Game that if you get the ball to them they are very capable of making big plays...very encouraging! It looks like the running back stable is full with Cory Ross and Marlon Lucky.

I must admit that I'm still not sold on Coz as a defensive coordinator but am willing to see if things improve this year. If the defense can produce we could have a very good team.

Let's remain cautiously optimistic and hope for a great Fall practice. I'm looking forward to the addition of the new players coming in.

An 8-4 or 9-3 is very possible.

Really nice write up....good perspective, I second it