Question for our Clemson fans . . . .

huKSer

With all the animosity between you and South Carolina -

Why didn't a fight break out on ESPN College Gameday between former Clemson coach Tommy Bowden and former 'c@ck coach Lou "The Lisp" Holtz?

Tommy Bowden is a pansy. A good Christian man (Clemson inside joke), but a pansy.

It kind of got on my nerves that they would use T. Bowden with the ESPN crew. Like, the only credibilty he has is that he's Bobby's kid. Like, "hey let's get some expert commentary from a bad coach who's hated by his former fans and just got canned!' His eyes looked bloodshot and he didn't seem to speak very well.

Is he going to be doing more of the bowl games? Holtz, May, and he are an almost unbearable combo.

Hey, I wouldn't be dissin' on T. Bowden if I thought you Clemson guys liked him.... ;)

Why didn't a fight break out on ESPN College Gameday between former Clemson coach Tommy Bowden and former 'c@ck coach Lou "The Lisp" Holtz?

Tommy Bowden is a pansy. A good Christian man (Clemson inside joke), but a pansy.

It kind of got on my nerves that they would use T. Bowden with the ESPN crew. Like, the only credibilty he has is that he's Bobby's kid. Like, "hey let's get some expert commentary from a bad coach who's hated by his former fans and just got canned!' His eyes looked bloodshot and he didn't seem to speak very well.

Is he going to be doing more of the bowl games? Holtz, May, and he are an almost unbearable combo.

Hey, I wouldn't be dissin' on T. Bowden if I thought you Clemson guys liked him.... ;)

Not all us Clemson hate Bowden. Now I do think that he needed to go but he did a good job during his time at Clemson but not good enough. He left the program in far better shape than when he found it (remember 3-8 the year before he took over?) as far as facilities, talent, players' off the field behavior, etc. He just couldn't turn the corner completely so he did need to go. But constantly bashing him for not winning the conference is not right. It's not like he took a national championship caliber team and drove it into the ground - he took a program that was on the ground and brought it part of the way back up to a championship program.

Not all us Clemson hate Bowden. Now I do think that he needed to go but he did a good job during his time at Clemson but not good enough. He left the program in far better shape than when he found it (remember 3-8 the year before he took over?) as far as facilities, talent, players' off the field behavior, etc. He just couldn't turn the corner completely so he did need to go. But constantly bashing him for not winning the conference is not right. It's not like he took a national championship caliber team and drove it into the ground - he took a program that was on the ground and brought it part of the way back up to a championship program.

Part way usually doesn't cut it at a program that has won a NC before.

Well, I've followed Clemson a little bit over the last 5 years or so hoping they'd win something in the ACC, I think, in part, because I always wanted them to beat MIA and FSU. So, I'd watch one of your games and I'm like, 'hey, these guys look great!', then the next week it was, 'uh, where did that good team go I saw last week?' Stopped watching Clemson last year figuring, 'whatever..' :dunno

So, their underachieving has been even disappointing to me, and I'm just an outsider.

MY point is, though, T. Bowden was on ESPN because he's Bobby's boy. Otherwise, why would he be on there?

Thought we were talking about Tommy and not Lou.

When I posted this I was expecting something like "They were outsiders and never really understood or appreciated the culture of the school" like we had with coach-whose-name-is-not-to-be-mentioned

You may not know this but when Lou Holtz was traveling around doing signing for his book "Winning Every Day" last year I think, stops included Notre Dame and as well as other cities but not Columbia, South Carolina (home of USC jr). Go figure.

I think it was clear to see based on his performance on ESPN why Tommy had a lackluster performance as a coach. He is clearly not a motivational speaker. He never speaks with conviction or authority. He just could not inspire the fans or his players. He's an ok coach and a good man. I truly think he loved Clemson and I hate that it ended the way it did for him. Tiger fans do not hold a lot of animosity towards him just uninspiring I think everyone knew he had to go and it was just a matter of time. When Tommy first came to Clemson he had made his name at Tulane using a no huddle offense. He brought this style to Clemson and it was exciting to watch after all the years of just run run run the ball up the middle which was our standard play. The no huddle soon wore off and Tommy had to settle in and come up with a real offense which he had some success at, but never greatness. Now the difference with Dabo is that he really talks to the players and really gets involved with them. He has connected the players to the fans in a way that Tommy never could. Clemson students were invited to watch practices. He instituted the Tiger walk to the stadium prior to games so that the team could feel the excitement of the fans. His enthusiam inspires the players to want to win for him. Dabo has brought excitement back to Clemson football.

You may not know this but when Lou Holtz was traveling around doing signing for his book "Winning Every Day" last year I think, stops included Notre Dame and as well as other cities but not Columbia, South Carolina (home of USC jr). Go figure.

Maybe he thought it was futile to expect the population there to 'win' everyday.

Maybe he thought it was futile to expect the population there to 'win' everyday.

he did spend his first year there 'losing' every saturday