Will we start off with Blackshirts next season?

Trying to keep this about Nebraska Football as much as I can so it won't have to be moved.

I sort of understand why Our Defense has been worse than usual the last 4-5 seasons..We had a Coach recently, that was more concerned with his ancient new Offense looking good right away, so he probably took the majority of the new recruits for HIS side of the ball, and maybe thought, as long as he had a job, he would be able to give his DC some protection for a few years...

But..

Why has the B-12 followed suit?

Last night's Fiesta Bowl was almost embarrassing from what I could tell, I dozed off after the 1st FG..All the Bowls involving B-12 teams have been a little embarrassing..Making the talking heads look like they almost know what they are talking about. (Mediocre Offenses made to look good by really bad Defenses)....I guess the days of Great Defenses only needing great effort are gone..(It also takes speed and cover skeels...er skills).

Doesn't seem that long ago, our conference was known for it's stout Defenses and the SEC was known more for it's Fun-n-Gun type of Offenses.

I read somewhere (here?) a link to some ratings out for the statistics like total O and D and all the sub categories, but can't seem to find the link/thread, but if I remember right..it made it look like our Defense was maybe as good as OU's.

If that's the case, I fear Florida/Oklahoma will turn out like the '95 (96) Fiesta Bowl where we basically toyed with them..Only this time, it will be Florida and it's top 11? Defense toying with OU.

Your idea sounds pretty thought out. I like it.

Callahan was more concerned about the offense, no question. He turned the Huskers into a business rather than a passion filled college football program. Personally, I think Nebraska had one of the better showing's in the bowl games. Our offense is good but still has a lot of kinks, and the game between Clemson was predicted to be close. People tend to overlook that this is Pelini's first season. Getting to a bowl, being 9-4, and winning that bowl game is quite a year for a first year head coach. We can't forget that even though we had a nice year overall, we are still rebuilding. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Also, kind of an interesting fact I realized today. Statistically speaking, Nebraska had it's best season this year in wins vs. losses than it has had in it's last 4.

2004 5-7

2005 8-5

2006 9-5 64%

2007 5-7

2008 9-4 69%

Granted we had the extra game in 2006 but still, kind of interesting.

Your idea sounds pretty thought out. I like it.

Callahan was more concerned about the offense, no question. He turned the Huskers into a business rather than a passion filled college football program. Personally, I think Nebraska had one of the better showing's in the bowl games. Our offense is good but still has a lot of kinks, and the game between Clemson was predicted to be close. People tend to overlook that this is Pelini's first season. Getting to a bowl, being 9-4, and winning that bowl game is quite a year for a first year head coach. We can't forget that even though we had a nice year overall, we are still rebuilding. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Also, kind of an interesting fact I realized today. Statistically speaking, Nebraska had it's best season this year in wins vs. losses than it has had in it's last 4.

2004 5-7

2005 8-5

2006 9-5 64%

2007 5-7

2008 9-4 69%

Granted we had the extra game in 2006 but still, kind of interesting.

:nutz Ok...hand over Bin Laden!!! You have been in a spider hole or what?

This is actually one of the things that is encouraging to me about the future of our team. Pelini will build a stout defense, there's no question about that. We should get better on offense if Watson sticks around for a few years, and that's a big IF. But what happens when Watson leaves? It is a wait and see situation for sure but until that happens we are going to be very tough to handle. I know that we are going to be breaking in a new QB next season but I am encouraged by how Watson's young QB's at Colorado played, especially against us.

As to whether we start off the season with the Blackshirts or not, I don't know. I guess it will depend on how practices are going and if Bo thinks the defense can play up to that level or not. I hope the defense starts next season off with a bang and is dominant from the start, but that might be asking a little much from a still pretty young unit.