Welcome to Blacksburg

Hokieluv

First of all; thank you for your unbelievable hospitality when we visited Lincoln this past season. My girlfriend and I were over-whelmed with your kindness before, during, and after the game. We had heard so much from friends in the Big 12 about your fans, but the warm welcome we experienced was simply unreal!

Now it's our time to welcome you to Blacksburg. Having Nebraska come to Lane Stadium is something most Hokie fans look forward to. Not only because you are one of the greatest football programs of all time, but also because you are a program on the rise. I think many of us started following your program more closely after our game this past fall and we expect great things from NU in the years to come.

We hope that many of you will make the trip to Blacksburg. Not sure if we are as friendly as you were to us... but I think most visiting fans have a good time in Blacksburg. We noticed that some of you had questions in an earlier post regarding hotels etc. Blacksburg is small! Hotels fill up fast so unless you make reservations way early you may have to stay in nearby towns (Christiansburg 10mins, Radford 20mins, Roanoke 50mins). However, on game days the travel time will be longer! If you plan on flying in the closest airport will be in Roanoke, but you may also want to check fairs to Greensboro, NC.

Some of you had questions regarding tailgating etc. Most of us really enjoy it when visiting fans join us for tailgating around the VT campus. You may also want to check out the bars along Main Street which runs along campus and only a few minutes walk from Lane. Although police tends to ticket visibly drunk fans or fans carrying open bottles on their way to the stadium, they usually let it slide if you drink out of a plastic cup etc. If you behave reasonably appropriate you really don't have much to worry about.

Thanks again for your kindness this past fall and welcome to Blacksburg and Virginia Tech this fall!

myself and 2 for sure maybe 3 other guys will be DRIVING there... we looked at flight tickets, and figured that splitting the gas money and what not we will be wayyy better off lol.. just waiting to be able to get tickets and then we'll go ahead and book hotels n what not... any must see restaurants?

I'm looking to do the same thing, but I have a feeling finding tickets could be difficult.

Hi guys. Greensboro is about 2.5hrs drive from Blacksburg. There is plenty of RV parking as all of the campus parking lots are used for game-day parking (Lane Stadium is on campus). BUT, you may want to check with the VT ticket office regarding permits etc. Not sure how that works. My gut feeling is that those sell out fast. You can check out www.hokiesports.com for contact information etc.

As for the question about restaurants. There are plenty of restaurants considering it is a college town and all of them are in walking distance to the stadium. Finding a table on game day may be hard. We usually go from bar to bar to drink, but sitting down to eat may be tough on game day. Any of the places along Main Street will be full of fans the day before and on game day. As in Lincoln, feel free to wear your jerseys etc and I think people will be very nice and be excited to talk football with you.

I hope you all get as many tickets as you need. We bought our tickets for last year's game online and paid an arm and a leg (however it was fun sitting among all the NU season ticket holders...). I think our tickets go on sale in March and they will probably appear online shortly thereafter.

Hey Hokieluv, what time is the BBQ at your house the night before? Looking forward to playing you guys again, hopefully for us with a little different outcome this time. Glad you enjoyed Lincoln, I have been to a lot of college cities, and Lincoln will always be one of the best in my book, but then I am a little partial there.

Haha. Yes, we can have a BBQ here. Would love to have the Huskers over the night before :) You all were so nice to us that it is hard to imagine how we can repay your hospitality. We have to make some plans as the spring progresses.

If you want to find a place to stay within walking distance from campus you need to make arrangements NOW. The Inn at Virginia Tech is on campus and the normal rates are in excess of $140 but I would not count on them having any availability on any game weekends. Its worth a check though. There is also a Holiday Inn right across the street, a Marriott right down the street, and several other options within a short radius. I can assemble a list and post here in the next few days. Nothing is far, but I don't know how much availability there is. Once you are near downtown Blacksburg you can walk to the stadium within 5-10 minutes almost regardless of how much you have been "warming up"... If I came in from out of town I would make reservations now even if I didn't have tickets. Although there are hotels in nearby towns I think you would enjoy the pregame atmosphere in Blacksburg. Not much else going on in Blacksburg so we get really excited about football season. I know NU fans can appreciate that! We experienced that first hand back in September.

• 5 weeks later...

Haha. Yes, we can have a BBQ here. Would love to have the Huskers over the night before :) You all were so nice to us that it is hard to imagine how we can repay your hospitality. We have to make some plans as the spring progresses.

If you want to find a place to stay within walking distance from campus you need to make arrangements NOW. The Inn at Virginia Tech is on campus and the normal rates are in excess of $140 but I would not count on them having any availability on any game weekends. Its worth a check though. There is also a Holiday Inn right across the street, a Marriott right down the street, and several other options within a short radius. I can assemble a list and post here in the next few days. Nothing is far, but I don't know how much availability there is. Once you are near downtown Blacksburg you can walk to the stadium within 5-10 minutes almost regardless of how much you have been "warming up"... If I came in from out of town I would make reservations now even if I didn't have tickets. Although there are hotels in nearby towns I think you would enjoy the pregame atmosphere in Blacksburg. Not much else going on in Blacksburg so we get really excited about football season. I know NU fans can appreciate that! We experienced that first hand back in September.

im coming, and driving a short style camper van (class C with bonuses for the camperati) with a group of buds. any hot spots for guys to park you know of real close? weve done it before in other towns in a hospitable fans yard type deal, so im looking for that first, but ill take anything you can think of. if not, ill think of it on my own. it always seems to work out.

im coming, and driving a short style camper van (class C with bonuses for the camperati) with a group of buds. any hot spots for guys to park you know of real close? weve done it before in other towns in a hospitable fans yard type deal, so im looking for that first, but ill take anything you can think of. if not, ill think of it on my own. it always seems to work out.

You will like being parked on campus which means you can tailgate and walk to both the stadium and the bars in less than 10 minutes. Not sure how that all works in terms of permits, but I know the "Prices Fork" lot is reserved for RVs, campers etc starting the night before the game. I think most of the other lots are reserved for season passes etc. Go on hokiesports.com and contact the ticket office. They should be able to answer your questions if you want to stay on campus. If not, there are tons of places (yards, church parking lots, school parking lots) where you will see signs for parking. I would not worry too much about places to park your camper - you will be fine in Blacksburg. Heck, you can probably park outside my apartment complex. We take the bus down to campus so we avoid dealing with parking. Its only a mile away.