in 4 years

will we still think it was a good idea to redshirt that many players? Think about it. If we redshirt half of this years class, which might be a high estimate after hearing the coaches say they aren't planning on redshirting that many, then in four years (for the recruiting class of 2013) we will be looking at 30-35 scholarships coming open...the most we could take in 1 year is 25, so somewhere in between now and then we are going to have to shuffle some scholarships around or something. Surely it isn't good to have that large of a disparity of schollies from year to year. Wouldn't it be best to take about 21 kids every year?

I would hope that not that many will just leave the program in that time to make up for it. hopefully we aren't banking on that.

will we still think it was a good idea to redshirt that many players? Think about it. If we redshirt half of this years class, which might be a high estimate after hearing the coaches say they aren't planning on redshirting that many, then in four years (for the recruiting class of 2013) we will be looking at 30-35 scholarships coming open...the most we could take in 1 year is 25, so somewhere in between now and then we are going to have to shuffle some scholarships around or something. Surely it isn't good to have that large of a disparity of schollies from year to year. Wouldn't it be best to take about 21 kids every year?

I would hope that not that many will just leave the program in that time to make up for it. hopefully we aren't banking on that.

So we have 21 rFR so your saying what happens if 5-10 of the 2009 class don't redshirt leaving Nebraska with over 25 slots in 2013?

Hopefully guys will be going pro early because after winning 3 National Titles, there's not much left for them to do in college and they'd like a new challenge. :) I think most of the class will redshirt. There are a few that we know who've said they are promised chance at special teams if they can't make it into the 2 deep at their position. Otherwise who from the class of 2009 won't? Presumably most of those DBs will get a shot, but how soon will the coaches know I guy isn't likely to make the field? :dunno

IMHO The strategy of a coach redshirting everyone in year one is good for building a program. (And for a coach that would like to stay employed say in a place that fires coaches after 3.75 years. You'd pretty much want year numbers 4 and 5 to be the best years of your tenure.) The other nice thing is you don't sh#t in the pool in year one (like Rich Rod) by playing freshmen over guys who have been there 4 years.

So we have 21 rFR so your saying what happens if 5-10 of the 2009 class don't redshirt leaving Nebraska with over 25 slots in 2013?

Hopefully guys will be going pro early because after winning 3 National Titles, there's not much left for them to do in college and they'd like a new challenge. :) I think most of the class will redshirt. There are a few that we know who've said they are promised chance at special teams if they can't make it into the 2 deep at their position. Otherwise who from the class of 2009 won't? Presumably most of those DBs will get a shot, but how soon will the coaches know I guy isn't likely to make the field? :dunno

IMHO The strategy of a coach redshirting everyone in year one is good for building a program. (And for a coach that would like to stay employed say in a place that fires coaches after 3.75 years. You'd pretty much want year numbers 4 and 5 to be the best years of your tenure.) The other nice thing is you don't sh#t in the pool in year one (like Rich Rod) by playing freshmen over guys who have been there 4 years.

Give them to walk-ons

Give them to walk-ons

Give what to walk-ons?

Give them to walk-ons

Give what to walk-ons?

The 7 extra schollies he is talking about. If you have more schollies than players you will not waste them they'll go to some of the Senior Walk-ons or walk-ons who make the cut by then.