Done this Year (or maybe one more)?

I think Bo has surrounded himself with excellent recruiters, and I think his straight foward, no b.s style will pay off bigtime in the future. You have to remember, we have been irrelevent for many years now, and these kids were babies when we were in our prime, so our tradition means little to them at this point. What Bo did this year, with as little talent as we had, is nothing short of amazing. I think next year we will be in the top 15 in recruiting, and with our coaches ability to develope the athletes, that will translate into a top 10 finish in 2011.

Pelini found out this year he's no longer at LSU or OU, I take it he understood the obstacles before taking the job and again hopefully it doesn't burn him up. Recruiting this year had to have been a shocker given NU had a pretty good year. Turner Gill fully knew everything about NU. Let's not kid ourselves in the recruiting game is no b.s. style, in fact it's all about that. That's what sales is. (See Dan Hawkins at CU and watch out if they have a good season.) They can keep telling you no, commit elsewhere, but you don't stop. There's a reason why Ekeler is a self made millionaire, that guy can sell the hell outta things. Also why he's NU's best recruiter and will always have a job in CFB somewhere. Like John Blake. It has to say something that NU's best recruiters are first year assistant coaches and Tim Beck. Watson is a good recruiter, he pulled in C. Green and Cotton pulling in the majority of the O-line recruits did a good job. That's about it. TO didn't get over the hump until he hired bullsh!ter extraordinaire K. Steele who pulled in tons of studs for him in the early 90s. Maybe Ekeler can be that guy?? I do agree with you about the tradition deal and that the majority of the kids could care less about it. See Notre Dame, Michigan, NU. I don't mean to be doom and gloom but when the Big 12 was formed Texas more or less cut NU's head off. I've come full circle with this and I'm just glad NU and TO got that last MNC in this conference. I've accepted the fact that NU will always have to play with Texas/OU leftovers and will be recruiting on par with Kansas. 8-4 to me is pretty good considering the league NU plays in and the current environment of CFB . Also it could be worse, we could be aTm fans, lost.

I agree that we should be happy with who we've got, they are the future of Big Red Football and I hope they have a great experience!!

You have some really good points, but what would give OU an advantage over us in recruiting? Have you ever been to Norman? It's got nothing on Lincoln, except that it closer to Texas. So I say again, if OU can do it, so can we.

I think Bo has surrounded himself with excellent recruiters, and I think his straight foward, no b.s style will pay off bigtime in the future. You have to remember, we have been irrelevent for many years now, and these kids were babies when we were in our prime, so our tradition means little to them at this point. What Bo did this year, with as little talent as we had, is nothing short of amazing. I think next year we will be in the top 15 in recruiting, and with our coaches ability to develope the athletes, that will translate into a top 10 finish in 2011.

Pelini found out this year he's no longer at LSU or OU, I take it he understood the obstacles before taking the job and again hopefully it doesn't burn him up. Recruiting this year had to have been a shocker given NU had a pretty good year. Turner Gill fully knew everything about NU. Let's not kid ourselves in the recruiting game is no b.s. style, in fact it's all about that. That's what sales is. (See Dan Hawkins at CU and watch out if they have a good season.) They can keep telling you no, commit elsewhere, but you don't stop. There's a reason why Ekeler is a self made millionaire, that guy can sell the hell outta things. Also why he's NU's best recruiter and will always have a job in CFB somewhere. Like John Blake. It has to say something that NU's best recruiters are first year assistant coaches and Tim Beck. Watson is a good recruiter, he pulled in C. Green and Cotton pulling in the majority of the O-line recruits did a good job. That's about it. TO didn't get over the hump until he hired bullsh!ter extraordinaire K. Steele who pulled in tons of studs for him in the early 90s. Maybe Ekeler can be that guy?? I do agree with you about the tradition deal and that the majority of the kids could care less about it. See Notre Dame, Michigan, NU. I don't mean to be doom and gloom but when the Big 12 was formed Texas more or less cut NU's head off. I've come full circle with this and I'm just glad NU and TO got that last MNC in this conference. I've accepted the fact that NU will always have to play with Texas/OU leftovers and will be recruiting on par with Kansas. 8-4 to me is pretty good considering the league NU plays in and the current environment of CFB . Also it could be worse, we could be aTm fans, lost.

I agree that we should be happy with who we've got, they are the future of Big Red Football and I hope they have a great experience!!

You have some really good points, but what would give OU an advantage over us in recruiting? Have you ever been to Norman? It's got nothing on Lincoln, except that it closer to Texas. So I say again, if OU can do it, so can we.

Have you ever been to Norman?

Yes

It's got nothing on Lincoln

Location . Right next door to talent rich Texas. Dont get me wrong, I love Lincoln and the game day experience is second to none but when they can play right next door to home it is an advantage in recruiting.

Lets not forget that oklahoma produces a large amount of division 1 players in their own backyard with Jenks, Union, Muskogee, and a slew of other Division 1 factories. That is their advantage. It gives them an advantage, but our equalizer will be how our staff has the ability to develop talent. Once Bo gets his recruits in with a few years under there belts i believe success will follow.

I believe in this staff's ability to evaluate talent and even more in their ability to develop that talent.

I'm cool with this class. I do think we get 1 or 2 more but if not we can use the scholly's next year.

I think this will play an even larger factor in the next year or so. It really will depend of the success of last years redshirts and how they perform this coming year. Guarantee if they stand out in a big way, future eyes will be on Bo and how he develops recruits. If those redshirts score big, you can take it to the bank that future potential recruits will want to come here.

The responses in this thread are kind of funny. How many of us were excited then disappointed with Calli's recruiting? Excited to see all those "studs" signing for Nebraska. Then disappointed when they either didn't pan out or transferred. Have we not learned our lesson?

For the six teams that have participated in the BCS title game from 2003-2008, each team has had at least two top five Rivals ranked recruiting classes from 2002-2008. Only one team (Virginia Tech) has been ranked in the top 25 each of the last four years and has not averaged a top 15 recruiting class from 2002-2008.

It isn't the only way, but recruiting with the elite seems to be the most sure-fire way of challenging for a title or consistently being among the 25 best in the nation. Now I don't think that we are going to recruit with the likes of Georgia, USC, Texas, OU, Florida, USC, Alabama, LSU, or Ohio State; but if we can be in that next tier more often than not I have to think that it would boost our chances to get back to where we want to be. I think that is why many of us still care about recruiting.