Mike Ditka on Nebraska(Callahan)

From the Omaha World-Herald:

Ditka.... is convinced coach Bill Callahan is the right man to lead the Huskers.

"Bill is a very good guy and a very good coach," Ditka said. "He proved that in the NFL and he will prove that at Nebraska. No matter who you are as a coach you got to have players. Once he gets the players who fit into the type of system he is trying to run, he will be very successful."

Ditka said the changes Callahan has made at NU were needed.

"Nebraska has been known for three yards and a cloud of dust, and it has worked," Ditka said. "But I think the game of football has evolved too much where you can't do that anymore. Defensive schemes will stop the run eventually, so you have to throw the ball to be successful."

While Im not saying that Iron Mike is an idiot, it is obvious that he had a successful record with the Bears, alot of which can be contributed to Buddy Ryan's defense, and having a great RUNNING GAME. But if he really is the know-all/be-all, then what happened at New Orleans??

As far as the 3 yards and a cloud of dust, yadda, yadda...that was said about TO in the late 80s and early 90s, too, and how did that turn out?

On a side note, while I was on vacation, I saw a guy wearing a Cornhuskers tee shirt, which isnt very common in the middle of April in Mexico. So, obviously I asked if he was from Nebraska, so forth and so on, and after a shooting the breeze for awhile, he asked me about the problems of the old NU football program. Suprisingly, he expressed some serious reservations about the ability of this staff to get it done, based on what they "accomplished" last year, and callys debacle in Oakland. Its good because it shows that Im not the only one who is concerned about the regression of this program.

Its good because it shows that Im not the only one who is concerned about the regression of this program.

You didn't have to go to Mexico to find that out. I could have told you that.

From all of the predictions of mulitple NCs for years to come that I have seen on this board, it sure doesnt seem like it.

Anyhow, would you rather have Omaha in April or Cancun in April????

I'll take Cancun for 600, Alex.

While Im not saying that Iron Mike is an idiot, it is obvious that he had a successful record with the Bears, alot of which can be contributed to Buddy Ryan's defense, and having a great RUNNING GAME. But if he really is the know-all/be-all, then what happened at New Orleans??

As far as the 3 yards and a cloud of dust, yadda, yadda...that was said about TO in the late 80s and early 90s, too, and how did that turn out?

On a side note, while I was on vacation, I saw a guy wearing a Cornhuskers tee shirt, which isnt very common in the middle of April in Mexico. So, obviously I asked if he was from Nebraska, so forth and so on, and after a shooting the breeze for awhile, he asked me about the problems of the old NU football program. Suprisingly, he expressed some serious reservations about the ability of this staff to get it done, based on what they "accomplished" last year, and callys debacle in Oakland. Its good because it shows that Im not the only one who is concerned about the regression of this program.

Well that's it then, I'm convinced :blink:

It must be the end times if disgruntled fans are spreading south into Mexico to avoid all the fire and brimstone that is sure to follow. Take it with a grain of salt I saw a guy in So Cal with a Mexico shirt on who hated the soccer team. Go figure. :lol:

I think Ditka knows alittle something about the game and uses a pro perspective. Will that work at NU? Just have to wait and play this string out to the end whatever that may be. What a glorious trip to take and a nailbiter too. Possibly even a Hollywood extravaganza :thumbs

:horns2

GBR

One hit wonder???????? That's what I've always thought of Mike Ditka. He had probably the best running back ever in Walter Payton and a very good Jim McMahon as a QB. I realize McMahon couldn't stay healthy, but he Bears had one great season and a lot more marginal ones. Look at the Hall of Famers on that team.

I agree, with some that I wouldn't put too much emphasis on what Ditka said. That being said, he may very well be right. We are still in the infant stages of the changes. No one knows if the changes were right or wrong until years later. I hope it all works out. I do disagree with Ditka on one point though. I do not believe the game has changed that much. I mean you still go out onto the field and you still block and tackle just like it's always been done. I believe it is very naive to believe that a predominant running team will never win the NC again. History does tend to repeat itself. When Miami was fun and gunning it and winning all the time, people said TO was outdated and that we would never be at the same caliber. We know how false that was.

In essence, there are more teams in the Big 12 trying to mimick Nebraska's old offense rather than the fun'n gun. Texas has a running QB who isn't the greatest passer. Mizzou has a running QB who isn't a great passer. KState runs a similar offense to our old offense. Hell, even OU to some extent tries to develop and run the ball like NU of old. I realize these are not strictly option offenses, but they are all trying to dominate the line of scrimmage and have a mobile QB. The QB doesn't have to be a great passer, just adequate enough to keep the defense honest. Basically, this was NU's old offense.

Callahan may prove to make us contenders again. However, I don't buy the hogwash that our old offense was behind the times.

One hit wonder???????? That's what I've always thought of Mike Ditka. He had probably the best running back ever in Walter Payton and a very good Jim McMahon as a QB. I realize McMahon couldn't stay healthy, but he Bears had one great season and a lot more marginal ones. Look at the Hall of Famers on that team.

I agree, with some that I wouldn't put too much emphasis on what Ditka said. That being said, he may very well be right. We are still in the infant stages of the changes. No one knows if the changes were right or wrong until years later. I hope it all works out. I do disagree with Ditka on one point though. I do not believe the game has changed that much. I mean you still go out onto the field and you still block and tackle just like it's always been done. I believe it is very naive to believe that a predominant running team will never win the NC again. History does tend to repeat itself. When Miami was fun and gunning it and winning all the time, people said TO was outdated and that we would never be at the same caliber. We know how false that was.

In essence, there are more teams in the Big 12 trying to mimick Nebraska's old offense rather than the fun'n gun. Texas has a running QB who isn't the greatest passer. Mizzou has a running QB who isn't a great passer. KState runs a similar offense to our old offense. Hell, even OU to some extent tries to develop and run the ball like NU of old. I realize these are not strictly option offenses, but they are all trying to dominate the line of scrimmage and have a mobile QB. The QB doesn't have to be a great passer, just adequate enough to keep the defense honest. Basically, this was NU's old offense.

Callahan may prove to make us contenders again. However, I don't buy the hogwash that our old offense was behind the times.

I think Barneyball would have been interesting to see...I thought NU's offense would look a lot like Michigan or Ohio St...with a little option sprinkled in...not now, I guess! :lol:

one of the things that made TO teams so good was not only good defenses, but a running game that most often overachieved, which kept the other teams offense off the field......taking time off the clock with long sustained drives is still an affective tactic, but you still must have a legitimate qb that can throw the ball and be a threat that the d must respect...just throwing the ball up and down the field will not wind championships, a great defense with an explosive offense or one that can grind it out when necessary and kkeep the opponents offense of the filed is essential......time of possession, they can't score if they don't have the ball.....

hunter

10-6, 15-1, 14-2, 12-3, 12-4, 11-5, 11-5. That looks like 7 pretty good years. Chicago had a GM and Owner who wouldn't spend money during his last few years. I might be wrong but weren't there only 3 Hall of Famers on the 85 team. Hampton, Payton, and Singletary.