Pedersen

How well do you think Pederson has done?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't know what schools turned Frank down, but none came knocking on the door either. Why? I don't know. My opinion? His abilities as a HC were nowhere near as good as they needed to be for a top-D1 position.

Indiana he inquired about and Illinois he expressed interest. Interviewed for neither of them. The rest of the college football world saw it, why can't some others see it. Solich is not a difference maker.

LINCOLN - Frank Solich has inquired about the Indiana job, a person close to Solich said Thursday.

The former Nebraska coach has a tie with the Hoosiers - their athletic director, Rick Greenspan, was at Army last year when he offered Solich the job there. Solich turned Army down because it came just a week after he was fired from Nebraska.

The 60-year-old has spent the past year waiting for jobs to open, and the time appears ripe for Solich to return to football, his agent, Jack Mills said Thursday. Fifteen Division I coaches have been fired or resigned since Nov. 15.

"His mind is open to anyone at this point who wants to talk to him," Mills said.

Solich also has expressed interest in Illinois, a person close to the coach said.

Solich put together a 58-19 record as Nebraska's head coach and also served as a longtime assistant under Tom Osborne.

I don't know what schools turned Frank down, but none came knocking on the door either.  Why?  I don't know.  My opinion?  His abilities as a HC were nowhere near as good as they needed to be for a top-D1 position.

Indiana he inquired about and Illinois he expressed interest. Interviewed for neither of them. The rest of the college football world saw it, why can't some others see it. Solich is not a difference maker.

LINCOLN - Frank Solich has inquired about the Indiana job, a person close to Solich said Thursday.

The former Nebraska coach has a tie with the Hoosiers - their athletic director, Rick Greenspan, was at Army last year when he offered Solich the job there. Solich turned Army down because it came just a week after he was fired from Nebraska.

The 60-year-old has spent the past year waiting for jobs to open, and the time appears ripe for Solich to return to football, his agent, Jack Mills said Thursday. Fifteen Division I coaches have been fired or resigned since Nov. 15.

"His mind is open to anyone at this point who wants to talk to him," Mills said.

Solich also has expressed interest in Illinois, a person close to the coach said.

Solich put together a 58-19 record as Nebraska's head coach and also served as a longtime assistant under Tom Osborne.

Alrighty, you got me there.

I still don't see how someone "not going after" another coach constitutes "turning them down".

To be turned down, almost by definition, is asking for something and not getting it. Symantics, I suppose. You choose your interpretation, I'll choose mine.

Thanks, DJR, you were the first to actually come up with some facts. I appreciate that...instead of pretending to know what happens at major universities when it comes to choosing a head coach, and stating it as fact. Yes, that is a direct jab at the person who claims to know how Washington, Notre Dame, etc. choose coaches at the administrative level. I don't know for sure, and unless you've been there, neither do you.

1. The current power teams in college football, USC, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, and Florida State all consistanly get highly ranked recruiting classes. (and by highly ranked I mean higher than 21, or 24, or whatever you consider a great Solich class)

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said Solich had a great class. Only that his were ranked in the top 25. Penn St. has also had highly ranked classes. How many bowl games have they been to in the last two years?

2. Devaney took over a talentless team with almost no tradition and built them into a dyanasty. Frank took a dynasty and turned them into a mediocre football team that, after all of TO's recruits had left, went 16 and 10 while playing in a weak big twelve north.

They were a dynasty when he went 6-4 in 1967 and 1968? Hmmm...finding some holes here...

3. Jammal Lord could not throw, and you have a point that we couldnt be two dimensional with him at the helm, but then again Frank recruited him and Joe after saying that more emphasis was going to be put on the pass.

Joe was hailed as the next coming of Donovan McNabb. By the same recruiting gurus you quoted in #1.

4. Big schools like Florida, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Washington, and the rest do not go, lets see who applied for head coach today. They actively pursue coaches and make offers to coaches, some of which are still employed else where who technically cannot express intrest unless the school contacts the current place of employment and gets permission. None of these schools hired Frank, which means either they had zero interest in him, or the contacted him and he applied and did not get the job in favor of someone better.

Really...when were you an administrator of a Division I college program? You know this for sure? Now, I'm not going to argue this too much, because there is a point somewhere in there about schools not pursuing Solich. Again, though, "not going after" is a long ways from "turning down".

5. It is true that we recruited to a system so we could not go out and get the big name wide outs and tight ends. But where are our I backs, dual threat quarterbacks, and defenses period. Horne was the only highly regarded i back we got under Solich, and he was from Nebraska. Dukes was the only quarterback, and he was a bust. Demorrio was a good recruit, and Fabian, and Rude, but three impact players in probably about 40 or 50 defensive recruits is hardly a jaw dropping amount. Frank couldn't recruit, he couldn't coach in today's game, and he doesn't belong as the head coach of Nebraska. That being said, I wish him all of the luck in the world and I hope he proves me wrong.

Really? Josh Mueller was rated in the top 10 at his position coming out of high school. Tierre Green wasn't rated, but I'll bet you're glad he's on this team. Dane Todd was the #17 fB coming out of high school. Jared Helming #10 DL out of high school. Mark LeFlore was the #15 reciever. Cory Ross was the #11 RB coming out of high school. Need I continue? I'm interested to see what "facts" you come up with now.

Really...when were you an administrator of a Division I college program?  You know this for sure?  Now, I'm not going to argue this too much, because there is a point somewhere in there about schools not pursuing Solich.  Again, though, "not going after" is a long ways from "turning down".

Either way he doesn't get the job. This is a more of a semantic's argument now IMO.

Really? Josh Mueller was rated in the top 10 at his position coming out of high school. Tierre Green wasn't rated, but I'll bet you're glad he's on this team. Dane Todd was the #17 fB coming out of high school. Jared Helming #10 DL out of high school. Mark LeFlore was the #15 reciever. Cory Ross was the #11 RB coming out of high school. Need I continue? I'm interested to see what "facts" you come up with now.

The point is the new staff is going after kids Solich wouldn't dream about going after. We could have used Marlon with Solich and Barney's offense. IMO, Solich wouldn't have tried considering he was in USC's backyard. No on ever said you have to be the top of the top according to all recruiting analysts to be an oustanding player when it is all said and done.

The difference is quite obvious. Frank went after kids he thought would say yes. Frank looked for the number 15 to 20 and the other programs looked for and signed the 1s 2s and 3s. It does not take long to get way behind with that mind set. He also never seemed to strive to get a full class. He never pushed the envelope. BC and staff say who could possibly say no? They pull up every rock and ground squirrel looking for talent. Frank could recruit, but he did not place much importance to it. He felt we are Nebraska, they will come. A terrible error and what most likely cost him his job.

One thing that seems obvious to me is the fact that if any of the top programs offered him, why didn't we hear about it. Illinois was one he wanted I have heard. But they took a coach that was fired after him, the difference was the talent that had been left at Florida. That was coach that deserved another year. Zook showed he knew what it took to win. The talent that was left at Nebraska, well we do not need to go there.

First of all, saying that all of those guys were ranked in the top twenty at their position is misleading. All of them were in relatively thin years at that position, and none of them were ranked higher than three stars, except for Leflore, who was from Nebraska, by both scouts and rivals. Second of all, since the search for a new coach, with the exception of Nebraska and Callahan, is all public information, one would know before they hired, lets say Notre Dame hired Charlie Wiess, that Notre Dame has contacted the New England Patriots about pursuing Weiss for their head coaching position, which is almost verbatim to what they say on Sports Center, or any newspaper that is reporting on it. It takes someone with their head in the ground to think that coaches apply to a position at a major university like it's a seven eleven, where do I sign up, I wanted to be the next coach at Florida. While I guess I havent been rejected, just overlooked. Obviously I should be the head coach of Nebraska.

First of all, saying that all of those guys were ranked in the top twenty at their position is misleading. All of them were in relatively thin years at that position, and none of them were ranked higher than three stars, except for Leflore, who was from Nebraska, by both scouts and rivals. Second of all, since the search for a new coach, with the exception of Nebraska and Callahan, is all public information, one would know before they hired, lets say Notre Dame hired Charlie Wiess, that Notre Dame has contacted the New England Patriots about pursuing Weiss for their head coaching position, which is almost verbatim to what they say on Sports Center, or any newspaper that is reporting on it. It takes someone with their head in the ground to think that coaches apply to a position at a major university like it's a seven eleven, where do I sign up, I wanted to be the next coach at Florida. While I guess I havent been rejected, just overlooked. Obviously I should be the head coach of Nebraska.

Your opinion. I try to back mine with facts, while yours is just opinion. To each his own, I guess.