More Mizzou class acts

huskerfan500

I know lots of MU fans, hence the "and being mindful that there a quite a few very nice Mizzou alum that I know and am friends with". I also attend our neutral site game, and b4 when it was not a neutral site game, and have gone to high school games in central Missouri where adult fans through alchohol on our student section and hurled obscenties. I know LOTS of great Mizzou fans, but you do have more than your fair of not very good fans. Not all. Not even most. There are many fine people who are MU fans and I know quite a few. But a fairly large amount, considering this is college football, are drunken/crazed rednecks. Nebraska has a high concentration of good fans, that is why I frequent this site. I know, and admit, my view could be tainted by our rivalry. I still hold that view based on a long experience, which i will not go into here, of outrageous behaviour I have witnessed. I understnad that these people may not be the rule, but it happens too much for me to not notice. The Antlers are a prime example, but I have made my point.

As for Quantrill, the man was a murderer and a war criminal. Jayhawks are the nickname for people from my state. There were some bad people who bore that tag, but the people who defended our citizens from the wanton aggression of the border ruffians were not, by any means, mostly bad. Especially considering the murders that went on, while some Jayhawks have their black eyes, they are not in large William Quantrill. He led a massacre of unarmed civilians...

Now, back on topic, You can say what you want, the Antlers take pride in some pretty awful things. The school does not seem to try very hard to stop them, the news articles say enough on it, and no one else in the Big 12 has a group anything like that...

Oh, and I hope you have a nice day too. You and Cy are my favorite posters, and I like the MU fans who frequent this site. I always enjoy your posts, even when they are contrary to my own.

When I was driving back to Grand Island from Denver, hanging under the Welcome to Nebraska sign was "Sal's Dead Go Big Red!! not too classy either <_<

Driven that road, never seen the sign.

T_O_B

That was many years ago my friend. I'm sure it was taken down as fast as it was put up. After the way their fans treated me and my family when we lived there, I wish nothing but the worst on their program ( losses, NCAA sanctions etc.) but never loss of life. :hmmph

Why are they called The Antlers?

It is derived from the old term "cuckold". To quote from Wikipedia:

A cuckold is a married man with an adulterous wife. Due to the word's original meaning, a man who is unwittingly raising another man's child, it refers to a man who is unaware of his victimization. Because of this association, it is one of the few masculine specific words in the English language without a feminine counterpart. In current usage it sometimes refers to non-married couples in committed relationships, although this is not the traditional meaning. A man who knows and acquiesced in his wife’s taking of another lover was called a wittol, itself a derivation from the Middle English for "witting (as in knowing) cuckold."

History of the term:

Cuckold is derived from the Old French for the cuckoo, cocu, with the pejorative suffix -ald. The earliest written use of the Middle English derivation, cokewold, occurs in 1250. The females of certain varieties of cuckoo lay their eggs in other bird’s nests, freeing themselves from the need to nurture the eggs to hatching.

Cuckolds have sometimes been written as "wearing the horns of a cuckold" or just "wearing the horns". This refers to the fact that the man being cuckolded is the last to know of his wife's infidelity. He is wearing horns that can be seen by everybody but him. This also refers to a tradition claiming that in villages of unknown European location, the community would gather to collectively humiliate a man whose wife gives birth to a child recognizably not his own. According to this legend, a parade was held in which the hapless husband is forced to wear antlers on his head as a symbol of his wife’s infidelity. Whether this did actually happen or not is inconsequential as the phrase has survived.

In short, the members of the group referred to as "The Antlers" are individuals that are essentially nerds that, if they ever had a relationship with a female, were inevitably cheated on by those females with real men.

Ironically, the members of "The Antlers" don't seem to recognize the reason for the appellation, which is appropriate given history above...

Why are they called The Antlers?

It is derived from the old term "cuckold". To quote from Wikipedia:

A cuckold is a married man with an adulterous wife. Due to the word's original meaning, a man who is unwittingly raising another man's child, it refers to a man who is unaware of his victimization. Because of this association, it is one of the few masculine specific words in the English language without a feminine counterpart. In current usage it sometimes refers to non-married couples in committed relationships, although this is not the traditional meaning. A man who knows and acquiesced in his wife’s taking of another lover was called a wittol, itself a derivation from the Middle English for "witting (as in knowing) cuckold."

History of the term:

Cuckold is derived from the Old French for the cuckoo, cocu, with the pejorative suffix -ald. The earliest written use of the Middle English derivation, cokewold, occurs in 1250. The females of certain varieties of cuckoo lay their eggs in other bird’s nests, freeing themselves from the need to nurture the eggs to hatching.

Cuckolds have sometimes been written as "wearing the horns of a cuckold" or just "wearing the horns". This refers to the fact that the man being cuckolded is the last to know of his wife's infidelity. He is wearing horns that can be seen by everybody but him. This also refers to a tradition claiming that in villages of unknown European location, the community would gather to collectively humiliate a man whose wife gives birth to a child recognizably not his own. According to this legend, a parade was held in which the hapless husband is forced to wear antlers on his head as a symbol of his wife’s infidelity. Whether this did actually happen or not is inconsequential as the phrase has survived.

In short, the members of the group referred to as "The Antlers" are individuals that are essentially nerds that, if they ever had a relationship with a female, were inevitably cheated on by those females with real men.

Ironically, the members of "The Antlers" don't seem to recognize the reason for the appellation, which is appropriate given history above...

Antler group was kind of basketball only thing, not at football game"S.

Got in bad spot with Athlete Dept. sevral tear ago and pretty much not many left. I see few at BB game but kind of pushed back and no matter may be for almost 10 year"s now.

In 1980"s they could be a terror and got after GBR BB player Adnre Smith for all 4 year.

That can be all I know on ANtler for now.

TuffTiger