More Mizzou class acts

huskerfan500

this from http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=912485, explaining the second best college basketball rivalry.

Or ask former Jayhawks big man Nick Collison, whose grandfather was badly scarred in a plane crash during World War II. As Collison was shooting a free throw, members of The Antlers – Missouri's infamous student group – held up a sign that said "Plane Crash.

you stay classy Columbia

sorry Mods if this has to be moved, but thought it was another good off-season topic and chance to rag on another school

eh..i cant really hold anything against them that happens in that game. there has been pretty nasty stuff done on both sides. ive never been to the actual game, but was in lawrence during it once. the f'bombs and insults were non-stop and highly entertaining on the streets and in the bars. to say there were a couple fights would be an understatement. seeing that made me realize nebraska doesnt have a true rival in anything. we're too nice!

eh..i cant really hold anything against them that happens in that game. there has been pretty nasty stuff done on both sides. ive never been to the actual game, but was in lawrence during it once. the f'bombs and insults were non-stop and highly entertaining on the streets and in the bars. to say there were a couple fights would be an understatement. seeing that made me realize nebraska doesnt have a true rival in anything. we're too nice!

I can understand things aa long as it doesn't get too personal. The plane crash thing was a bit too far :cop: but a rivalry is a rivalry

When I was driving back to Grand Island from Denver, hanging under the Welcome to Nebraska sign was "Sal's Dead Go Big Red!! not too classy either <_<

Buff fans will always point that one out, when we rip on their fans. If thats true, it makes me sick to my stomach. Over all we have classy fans, but there are always going to be a few jerks that make us look bad. I don't think any fans hate each other more than Texas and OU right now.

When I was driving back to Grand Island from Denver, hanging under the Welcome to Nebraska sign was "Sal's Dead Go Big Red!! not too classy either <_<

Driven that road, never seen the sign.

T_O_B

This was in the late 80's, and I'm sure if it was there, some real Huskers fans would have taken it down quickly.

it's still fun to say though. what the other thing i say is illegal...about burning boulder to the ground.

The Antlers are a treasured Columbia tradition - largely the result of a widely respected journalism school that attracts clever (and rowdy) students:

When Oklahoma visited the Hearnes Center for the first time after coach Billy Tubbs was hit by a car while jogging, the Antlers dressed up in jogging gear and walkmans and bandaged their heads. The Antlers ran onto the court and one of the members made a cardboard car ran over them with it.

Before the 1994 Braggin' Rights game against Illinois, members (who were suspended for that year and could not attend in their jerseys) sent Illini guard Kiwane Garris two bricks in the mail. These were references to his play in the legendary '93 game, where he missed two free throws with no time left in the first overtime period: Mizzou would later go on to win in three extra times. The neutral-site game is also notable for the Antlers, as it is the only match they allow themselves to attend under the influence of alcohol; the group (voluntarily) does not imbibe before home games, and will refuse entry to any member who has drank. Another Braggin' Rights game saw an Antler, among several other MU students, tackle Chief Illiniwek as he did his dance at center court of the Kiel Center, as much a show of dislike towards UI as it was a protest over what Tiger fans deemed a racist symbol.

Iowa State center Dean Uthoff's was the center of another Antler prank when they obtained the phone number at his dorm in Ames and called him. They posed as huge fans and wanted to show their appreciation by ordering him a pizza, and they told him and it should be downstairs in his lobby in a half hour. Uthoff fell for the scam and waited nearly an hour for the pizza. The Antlers later called again to ask how the pizza tasted. Two days later when Iowa State visited Mizzou, all of the Antlers were waving empty pizza boxes at him when he ran onto the court.

During a 2007 game at the Tigers' current home, Mizzou Arena, against Texas Tech, one of the Antlers dressed up as Bob Knight. The Knight impersonator began to walk around the student section and hit all the students, parodying Knight's reputation of being difficult on his players.

In another well-known moment, the Antlers held up pictures of former Kansas coach Larry Brown and Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi and asked, “Which one's the terrorist?”

For every game, the Antlers make signs that correspond to the opposing team's starting players, usually playing off their names. They can also reference the players' family or notorious events they were involved, such as Kansas State forward Bill Walker being called "MC Pee Pants" in reference to a game against Oregon in which he urinated into towels on-court. In recent years, these signs have been censored by the athletic department, whose staff has begun checking them at the door. The Antlers occasionally make other signs for use throughout the game, including this infamous one that was shown on a national CBS broadcast:

Corey

Beck has

Syphilis

T_O_B

This was in the late 80's, and I'm sure if it was there, some real Huskers fans would have taken it down quickly.

it's still fun to say though. what the other thing i say is illegal...about burning boulder to the ground.

I really hope I'm reading you're post wrong. Are you saying it was fun to say " Sal is dead"? You do know that young man died of cancer right? If so, maybe you should join the K-State guys, they made light of Brook dying in the plane crash. I'm really sick to my stomach right now, so I will pretend you were talking about some other anti CU talk, that did not involve something so horrible.

T_O_B

That was completely uncalled for, and violates everything Husker fans stand for. Joke or not, rules violation or not, the next time you do it you're banned.

The Antlers are a treasured Columbia tradition - largely the result of a widely respected journalism school that attracts clever (and rowdy) students:

When Oklahoma visited the Hearnes Center for the first time after coach Billy Tubbs was hit by a car while jogging, the Antlers dressed up in jogging gear and walkmans and bandaged their heads. The Antlers ran onto the court and one of the members made a cardboard car ran over them with it.

Before the 1994 Braggin' Rights game against Illinois, members (who were suspended for that year and could not attend in their jerseys) sent Illini guard Kiwane Garris two bricks in the mail. These were references to his play in the legendary '93 game, where he missed two free throws with no time left in the first overtime period: Mizzou would later go on to win in three extra times. The neutral-site game is also notable for the Antlers, as it is the only match they allow themselves to attend under the influence of alcohol; the group (voluntarily) does not imbibe before home games, and will refuse entry to any member who has drank. Another Braggin' Rights game saw an Antler, among several other MU students, tackle Chief Illiniwek as he did his dance at center court of the Kiel Center, as much a show of dislike towards UI as it was a protest over what Tiger fans deemed a racist symbol.

Iowa State center Dean Uthoff's was the center of another Antler prank when they obtained the phone number at his dorm in Ames and called him. They posed as huge fans and wanted to show their appreciation by ordering him a pizza, and they told him and it should be downstairs in his lobby in a half hour. Uthoff fell for the scam and waited nearly an hour for the pizza. The Antlers later called again to ask how the pizza tasted. Two days later when Iowa State visited Mizzou, all of the Antlers were waving empty pizza boxes at him when he ran onto the court.

During a 2007 game at the Tigers' current home, Mizzou Arena, against Texas Tech, one of the Antlers dressed up as Bob Knight. The Knight impersonator began to walk around the student section and hit all the students, parodying Knight's reputation of being difficult on his players.

In another well-known moment, the Antlers held up pictures of former Kansas coach Larry Brown and Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi and asked, “Which one's the terrorist?”

For every game, the Antlers make signs that correspond to the opposing team's starting players, usually playing off their names. They can also reference the players' family or notorious events they were involved, such as Kansas State forward Bill Walker being called "MC Pee Pants" in reference to a game against Oregon in which he urinated into towels on-court. In recent years, these signs have been censored by the athletic department, whose staff has begun checking them at the door. The Antlers occasionally make other signs for use throughout the game, including this infamous one that was shown on a national CBS broadcast:

Corey

Beck has

Syphilis

Why is it impossible for Mizzou fans to have an amicable rivalry with another fan base? More so, why is this institutionalized prick-dom "treasured?" Some friends and I were wondering if there was a Freshman seminar at MU on being an insufferable prick or something. Because it f'ing seems like it.

Trying to put this a delicately as possible, and being mindful that there a quite a few very nice Mizzou alum that I know and am friends with, the Redneck madness gets a little thick. Their fans ahave a stonger streak than most of the oddball fringe. Also, we hate each other, as I have gone into some detail in...

As for sign's like the Sal is dead thing, those things are never apporiate. Way to personal, way too not in context with proorities in life, way to recent ot be some historical thing that maybe 100 years from now might be less unfunny (I still think the MU fan who wears the "Quantrill was Right" shirts is wrong, at some many levels, and that is 150 years on.)

In fairness to Huskers, every fan base has it's people who are jerks. Whoever put the Sal sign up is obviously someone who no one wants to be associated with.

Trying to put this a delicately as possible, and being mindful that there a quite a few very nice Mizzou alum that I know and am friends with, the Redneck madness gets a little thick. Their fans ahave a stonger streak than most of the oddball fringe. Also, we hate each other, as I have gone into some detail in...

As for sign's like the Sal is dead thing, those things are never apporiate. Way to personal, way too not in context with proorities in life, way to recent ot be some historical thing that maybe 100 years from now might be less unfunny (I still think the MU fan who wears the "Quantrill was Right" shirts is wrong, at some many levels, and that is 150 years on.)

In fairness to Huskers, every fan base has it's people who are jerks. Whoever put the Sal sign up is obviously someone who no one wants to be associated with.

You"re Team is top rival of Mizzou. I know and so do you. Quick say so and than I"m not interest in agruement on this GBR web.

Quantrill thing is one a fan, and ever one who play at KU have team name Jayhawk on shirt which is about same history. It"s fact"s, not just my idea. I can"t do the pasting but you can google on you"r own computer and see.

Plus also thank"s for take time to know all TAR fan"s and say more Redneck madness oddball fringe than other. It must take some time to know all fan of all team"s so you can make sure it"s fact and not just some idea you made up about you"re top rvial. I don"t know how to get fact"s like that so thank you for doing all of work.

I usual just say I"m a top drawer fan at Mizzou and if one can pay attension they can knwo who our rival is.

I don"t spend alot time try to figuer KU fan"s and what color of neck that may or maynot have. I don"t have time or care to run around tolook. I know who I"m and don"t worry once about what a nother may think. I sleep good and usual wake up with smile no care how oddball finge or neck color I"m.

I"m not going to argue over this so no need tell me what was wrong with this. We can stand and piss on other"s boot"s all day all we get will be wet sock"s.

Have nice day an I do mean it. :moreinteresting

TuffTiger COlumbia,MU.