Whatcha gonna do??

Some places by policy you are required to hang paper on someone, that is a fact. With that in mind the prosecutor and then the judge can choose to not file or dismiss the ticket.

Sounds like the trooper was having a day that required everyone to get a ticket. Driver of the car, both good samaritans, and possibly later both elderly females.

:cop:

IMO I would pick what factor contributed the most in causing this accident. Speed to fast for conditions, or failure to maintain control would be for the driver in this case. The insurance companies can argue in civil court and they will no matter who gets a ticket.

Bad decision by the Officer IMO, but some accidents almost force you to cite someone so the insurance companies can battle it out. I probably wouldn't have cited him, but a supervisor may override that decision as well. :dunno

I never cite in vehicle accidents. The accident reports themselves let the officer describe the errors of the vehicle at fault. I never try and make any insurance companies job easier!

Bad move? More like a straight up dick move!!! And people wonder why no one respects cops anymore. THIS is why! This and maybe the lack of any real accountability when they beat the sh!t out of folks, or worse. It is the end of the month, maybe he hadn't meet his citation quota for the month. How pathetic!!!

Posts like this is what this smiley was invented for:

:snacks:

Bad move? More like a straight up dick move!!! And people wonder why no one respects cops anymore. THIS is why! This and maybe the lack of any real accountability when they beat the sh!t out of folks, or worse. It is the end of the month, maybe he hadn't meet his citation quota for the month. How pathetic!!!

I'll bite, we don't have quotas! The problem with regular citizens is they try to create reasons why we issue tickets when all we are doing is our job. It's not our fault that you are speeding, running a stop sign, etc. It's their fault and they need to live up to their mistakes instead of blaming someone else for them. I especially love the people that tell me I need to go out and catch the "real" criminals out there. Last time I checked the traffic code is in violation of the law and that IS a crime. :wacko:

I'll bite, we don't have quotas! The problem with regular citizens is they try to create reasons why we issue tickets when all we are doing is our job. It's not our fault that you are speeding, running a stop sign, etc. It's their fault and they need to live up to their mistakes instead of blaming someone else for them. I especially love the people that tell me I need to go out and catch the "real" criminals out there. Last time I checked the traffic code is in violation of the law and that IS a crime. :wacko:

so you DON'T have a quota? Do any cities have quotas...or is that just a myth made up by, like you said, people trying to explain why they got a ticket near the end of the month? I've always wondered that.

I wonder if a judge will just throw this jaywalking ticket out

so you DON'T have a quota? Do any cities have quotas...or is that just a myth made up by, like you said, people trying to explain why they got a ticket near the end of the month? I've always wondered that.

I wonder if a judge will just throw this jaywalking ticket out

In Iowa it's against the law to have quota's and it's strictly enforced. I'm sure it's illegal in other states as well, but I'm unaware if it is illegal in all states. If anything it violates any morals that the department stands for and if a Chief is forcing quotas on his/her Officers two things are happening:

1. He/she is doing a disservice to his/her citizens and Officers.

2. They are not a good manager and need to have things such as quotas to have their Officers do their job.

Personally, if my Chief told me I had to write X number of tickets I would personally turn them in to the state and expect them to be fired. There is also a myth that with harder economic times we are pushed to write more citations to generate money for the city, county, and state. That's not true and I've never been told to write more citations to generate money. That is not what a Police Department is there for and while we are like a business in the way that we have to conduct ourselves accordingly. We are not a business in the sense, we are there to create more money. I actually write my citations on state code instead of city ordinances so the state gets the money and not the city. The reason for this is basically our city attorney is not the best and the county attorneys are much better. This also deters the city from thinking we are generating them money.