What does it mean to be a Husker

I wrote this a few years ago. Still seems relivant today.

Why would anyon stand in line for five and one half hours to see a baseball game:

If you wonder why, you just don't get it.

Saturday morning June 8, I woke up at 5:00 and began to get ready for the Super Regional game between Richmond and Nebraska. First pitch 1:05. On the way to Haymarked Park, I took the long way to drive by the UNL campus and of course Memorial Stadium. I parked my car under the overpass and began the walk to the ball park. I stopped on the walk bridge to survey Memorial Stadium to my right and Haymarket Park in front of me. I was all alone, my only companion was 35 years of great memories that were bubbling to the surface.

I arrived at the Park at 6:00 to find one man just setting up camp at the gate. I did not know this man at all. We made our introductions, I was Rich from Holdrege, he was Steve from Lincoln. I'm guessing he was 45-50 years old, but on game day we are all the same age. I rolled out my blanket and laid down, making a perfect pillow out of the excess blanket, and covered my eyes with my cap. Only five plus hours till they opened the gate. The weather was perfect. Cool, with the sun just beginning to rise. Lying there, with memories still bubbling, I thought of last years Regional game in which I was at least 200 people deep in the line standing, wishing I had gotten there earlier. I was excited knowing that I would have great seats for myself and my 8 year old son when he arrived later. I thought of the first Husker football game I went to with my dad in 1972 against Missouri. Nebraska won the game 62-0, but I remember getting stung by a bee and spending the second quarter in the first aid station. Soon, two other men were setting up camp behind me. A father and son from Fremont. I don't remember their names, but the dad offered us all breakfast from Burger King. Steve and I politely declined the offer, but I'm sure he wanted some as much as I did. Soon after, a man in his 70's from Arapahoe set up camp with us. For two hours we exchanged stories of baseball, little league, Dave VanHorn, Husker football, memorable games etc. Each of us was having a great time in anticipation of the ballgame. Later, the wife of the man from Arapahoe and her sister came up. By this time, it was 10:00 and nearly 200 people were in line. The older ladies offered us donut from her favorite bakery in Lincoln, and cautioned us all to make sure to reapply our sunscreen several times during the game. By the time the gate was ready to open, we had all reached an agreement on who was sprinting to which picnic table to sit at when they let us in.

Once the game started, I did not hardly see any of the men and women I waited in line with for over 5 hours. There is a good chance I will never see any of them again the rest of my life. But for the time we spent together, we were more than strangers, we were a family. All part of the Husker Nation. It was the same camaraderie that is felt driving down I-80 on football Saturday; when no matter what town, city or county you are from in Nebraska, you are family. You are likely to see the extremes from the high school boys with "Kill the Buffs" painted on their windows too teh couple way too old to be driving their Cadillac Fleetwood safely with their red sweaters on. This is Nebraska! Whether it is football, baseball or any other sport, the University of Nebraska is a rallying point for the state. It is not about the National Championships, winning or losing. For in each sporting event, it is an opportunity to add another great memory that will last a lifetime. The people of Nebraska are the greatest, and on game day, they are second to none.

After the game all of us go back to our normal lives. The game and atmosphere have given us a moment to forget about the daily struggles we all face. We can carry what we have experienced as a lasting memory.

Each person has a different way to unwind and enjoy the material items of this world. I consider myself lucky to share mine with thousands of people all over the state and country.

Great story and I know what you are talking about on I-80. If we never meet in person we will always have the HUSKER brotherhood. Who knows we may have met or sat beside each other at a game or bumped into each other trying to get into the stadium. I was in St. Louis two weeks ago and I was amazed at how jealous other fans really are.

We were in BASS Pro Shop and a guy came up and said "how does it feel to be back in the pack with the rest of us?". I replied with " in Nebraska if we see someone stranded on the road, we will not just pass you buy and keep going. We will slow down and get you going again. As far as us being back in the pack, we had to refuel because the road to greatness is long and there are not many stops along the way. If you would like to grab onto our bumper we will gladly get you out of danger and safely on your way to the next rest stop, but we are leaving now and you need to decide 1 thing. Are you going to revel in the fact that the HUSKERS had to make the pitstop or are you going to see if you can keep up and remember where you have been, look where you are at and prepare for your next journey?"

The friendly conversation proceeded into the parking lot after we checked out and I will be damned if we were not parked three stalls away from each other and his plates were from Lincoln. He is a huge HUSKER fan and his friend bet him that he could get me angry buy saying what he said. His friend told us where a nice sports bar was and we followed them and talked of past games and memories.

His friend that has lived in St Louis all his life replied "I now have proof that what people say has to be true. You are the best fans in the nation, not only on game day but all year long."

We shook hands and exchanged addresses. Will I ever run into Mo steve as he likes to be called, I doubt it but it is another HUSKER memory that I can smile about.

:cheers to all of the HUSKER NATION no matter where or when or if we ever meet.

One of the things that's so neat about being a Husker fan is when I travel back home to Jersey. I usually wear my red and when I see someone else with the same colors it's an instant bond. We'll sit and bull crap for a little while if not sit and have a beer, especially when I'm down the shore. It used to be a blast to go to the Husker bar in the city. It was on 96 and 2nd Ave I think. Called the Bear Bar(I think they switched bars, the Bear Bar closed down because of underaged drinking) had great wings and great beer specials.

Great post NBug

After living in CA for 21 years can still see Lincoln in your story. I have been back numerous times and got to see the ballpark last summer. Growing up there was a blessing only Nebraskans and their families can truly appreciate (even the SoCal girl I married) :) . And if you didnt get the chance to come to the Rose Bowl game it ws fantastic with all the NU fans in the valley before the game and honkin on the freeways and the great company shared with everyone. Always special times with Nebraskans.

:horns2:horns2

GBR

Even though my family left Nebraska when I was just a toddler, my father raised me on Husker football and I've always been a fan. Living in states like California and Washington I've often experienced the comaradarie that comes with being a member of Husker Nation even out-of-state. When I get a chance to talk to a fellow fan, it's almost like we've known each other for years and are able to share our favorite football memories. It was a thrill for me to travel to Lincoln in 1998 to witness my first home game (vs. Washington) and experience first hand what it is like to part of the "Sea of Red" and visit my beautiful hometown of Fremont. I will go back again someday hopefully in the next couple of years. But I agree, being a part of Husker Nation is truly special.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife doesn't watch and follow everything about the University, but I'm always very impressed on a Husker gameday. She just loves going to football games when she has the time. That's a good gauge for me.

Right there with you, Red. My wife loves Lincoln on gameday. She tells everyone here in Indiana its an experience you must enjoy.

My father in law, who absolutely HATES football (he was a basketball coach in Indiana for 30 years) loves gameday, and loves to go to games because of the people.