Spring game TV article

LINK

Steven M. Sipple: Spring TV could help NU

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 - 12:16:53 am CDT

Please pardon my incessant nitpicking.

Bo Pelini obviously doesn’t need my help running his program. But I can’t help but think Nebraska missed a prime opportunity for self-promotion because of its reluctance to have the Spring Game televised.

A total of 70,000 reserved-seat tickets have been sold for the April 18 scrimmage. Some call it craziness; I call it a unique phenomenon. A fervent fan base and grand gameday atmosphere arguably have become Nebraska’s most effective selling points to recruits.

Please rewind to Feb. 4. Perhaps the most revealing quote from Pelini’s national letter-of-intent signing day press conference occurred as he discussed the response he gets when he calls recruits.

“It’s good, not great, yet,” he said. “It’s getting better. I think people are waiting to see. I think it got better as we had momentum this season. Obviously, the ‘N’ carries a lot of weight. But at the end of the day, kids want to win championships. The more we win, the better it’s going to be.”

Bottom line, Nebraska’s finding it increasingly difficult to sell itself as a traditional national power. Many high school kids don’t remember the Huskers’ last national title (1997) or Big 12 crown (1999). But kids will remember seeing a stadium packed for a practice. Why not show it to the nation?

This is an area where Nebraska still can compete favorably with many of the “big boys.” (Georgia and Alabama are having their spring games televised by ESPN on April 11 and 18, respectively).

A source tells me NET was very interested in broadcasting the Nebraska Spring Game in high definition. NET has an excellent relationship with CBS College Sports. Simply put, if the Huskers were interested in having the scrimmage televised nationally, it could have done so. What’s more, NU could have dictated terms of the broadcast. It could have emphasized the atmosphere in and around the stadium. Send cameras downtown. Let the fluff fly.

Yes, I know, I’m always chock-full of Spring Game ideas. A few weeks ago, Coach Sipple suggested Coach Pelini pull the “no-touch” green jerseys from the quarterbacks. OK, nix that stroke of brilliance now that Patrick Witt has left the team. But I remain bullish on the TV angle.

Pelini, by the way, says he isn’t concerned that televising the scrimmage would hold down attendance. He knows Nebraska’s passionate fans still would arrive in droves. He agrees the exposure would be good for the program.

But it should be noted the Nebraska coaching staff possesses a healthy respect for its 2009 season-opening foe, Florida Atlantic. Why give the Owls a personnel report, especially when Big Red is featuring a new quarterback? Why show the Owls any new wrinkles whatsoever?

(On the other hand, consider that Alabama opens the season against Virginia Tech and Georgia at Oklahoma State. The Tide and Bulldogs both have new starting QBs).

Another thing to consider: If the Husker scrimmage were televised, Pelini might feel pressure to put on a “good show.” He would have to weigh the “good show” mind-set against doing what’s best for his team. What if he wanted to pull a few of his better players from the scrimmage early? Would that diminish “the show?” It’s a fair question.

“I don’t want to turn it into a circus,” Pelini has said of the scrimmage, which last year drew 80,000.

Perhaps Pelini will be more receptive to televising the scrimmage as his program becomes more established. As depth improves. If nothing else, it makes for an interesting discussion, and some good old-fashioned nitpicking.

Have it on a tape delay basis.

I like this idea the best...if you put it on live, it will hurt attendance. I would love to see the stadium filled to capacity for the spring game again...there is no reason that it should only happen with a new head coach. It should happen EVERY spring. What else does any of us sand hillbillies have to do on a saturday in the spring? Plant corn? :laughpound