Major Concerns about Baseball Program

I have watched a steady decline since we lost Childress to TX AM. I hate to say this but it is like watching the Husker Teams of old when Sanders was the coach! I knew at the beginning of the season that our pitching was going to be very suspect but I had no idea how bad we were really going to be! We do not have one pitcher we can count on!

We will not even make the Big 12 tournament at this point in the season.

You have to wonder if Anderson should go?

Childress was always a TX guy and it was just a matter of time before he left to go back to a TX school. I just think Anderson is not the right guy and when we get out butt kicked tonight by Ceighton maybe someone will wake up and start to do some looking around for a coach who has the ability to recruit pitching talent.

I have to agree that we are a young team that is learning to play together. I think we all expected this team to struggle sometime and i'm glad it is now and not in May. What the players need is fans to support them and not be negative. I'm sick of the bandwagon fans giving up on this team and bring their poor attitudes to Haymarket. Last week was hard on the team to play 7 games in 7 days and two of them being double headers. I think we saw great improvements on Saturday after the first inning. Casey could of giving up and continued to let them be more aggressive but he did not. I think there are many bright days ahead. Can't wait for tonights game and this weekend. GO BIG RED!!

I have been watching NE baseball longer then you have been alive would be my guess. Anderson has never impressed me and when I talk to parents of the kids who play for him they say he is a d....! Its now 3-0 in the top of the 4th with the bases loaded. I know are pitching sucks it pretty odvious! I do believe Anderson is another Sanders! I route for them just the same but we do suck!

15-0. This team cannot mentally handle the challenges of D1 baseball. If they can't have some success this weekend, this thing could snowball and the Huskers may not make the B12 tournament.

As far as Anderson's job goes, I don't think he's lost it yet...but if the terrible, uninspired play continues, I'm sure Dr. Tom will have some tough questions for him to answer.

I have been watching NE baseball longer then you have been alive would be my guess. Anderson has never impressed me and when I talk to parents of the kids who play for him they say he is a d....! Its now 3-0 in the top of the 4th with the bases loaded. I know are pitching sucks it pretty odvious! I do believe Anderson is another Sanders! I route for them just the same but we do suck!

Do you pay attention to college baseball nationally? Do you realize the kind of praise that Anderson has gotten in the past when he has taken teams that were supposed to do NOTHING and turned them into a big 12 competitor/regional host? It's going to take more than ONE BAD YEAR to lose his job.. No way in hell does he or should he get fired...

One other thing... what is so great about Childress? He's a pitching coach and thats what we need right now is pitching? Other than that, what is there? He has done nothing but wayyyy UNDERACHIEVE all year this year... seriously, do you pay attention when you say we should have kept him? I mean, his team was a favorite by many many people to win this CWS this year.. He's 20-12 and 7-5 in the big 12... not exactly impressive #'s from a team that's supposed to win the national title....

Alright, duders...

No, I think we're jumping the gun in calling for Anderson's head. Newman, perhaps.

Whoa, whoa! Let me finish...

While our bats have no-doubt "cooled-off" in the past few games, our pitching has been the obvious problem.

In the past 10 games, we've allowed 116 runs. 116! Even with the best team batting average in the country, one can't expect to win many - if at all - when giving up 11.6 runs/game.

Now, there are people that will say, "What do you expect? We lost all of our pitching to the draft.?.?"

True.

However, that does not account for the amount of walks and hit-batters. It's a mentality, folks - especially when it comes to pitching. And I don't think Newman's approach with our pitchers seems to be working too well.

We're still batting .293 as a team. Not great, but certainly not the culprit.

Until we see our pitchers cut down on the walks/game, hit-batters/game, and getting behind in the count on the majority of opposing batters....well, we're going to continue to see the same thing. In fact, if we continue to average 11.6 runs to be score on us...all the offensive firepower in the world will not help.

Thoughts?

Alright, duders...

No, I think we're jumping the gun in calling for Anderson's head. Newman, perhaps.

Whoa, whoa! Let me finish...

While our bats have no-doubt "cooled-off" in the past few games, our pitching has been the obvious problem.

In the past 10 games, we've allowed 116 runs. 116! Even with the best team batting average in the country, one can't expect to win many - if at all - when giving up 11.6 runs/game.

Now, there are people that will say, "What do you expect? We lost all of our pitching to the draft.?.?"

True.

However, that does not account for the amount of walks and hit-batters. It's a mentality, folks - especially when it comes to pitching. And I don't think Newman's approach with our pitchers seems to be working too well.

We're still batting .293 as a team. Not great, but certainly not the culprit.

Until we see our pitchers cut down on the walks/game, hit-batters/game, and getting behind in the count on the majority of opposing batters....well, we're going to continue to see the same thing. In fact, if we continue to average 11.6 runs to be score on us...all the offensive firepower in the world will not help.

Thoughts?

I agree with most of that.. However, it's not just mentality, it's confidence... Confidence comes with age and maturity.