Six Draft Busts

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,158584

3. Lawrence Phillips, No. 6 overall, 1996.

After stellar rookie and sophomore years in which he averaged 3.3 and 3.4 yards per carry, respectively (had Phillips been able to stick with football and progress at the same rate, he'd be getting ready to average 4.6 yards per carry this season!) Phillips bounced around to a couple of other NFL teams, NFL Europe, Arena Football and the Canadian League. His career ended when two CFL teams cut him because he was kind of a jerk.

What's he doing these days? A 10-year stretch in California state prison. I'll let Wikipedia sum up his post-football criminal career:

On August 21, 2005, Phillips was arrested for assault after allegedly driving a car into three teenagers, following a dispute with the teens during a pick-up football game in Los Angeles, California. At the time of the arrest, Phillips was wanted by the San Diego, California, police in connection with two alleged domestic abuse incidents involving a former girlfriend, who claimed that Phillips choked her to the point of unconsciousness during one of the incidents. In addition, the Los Angeles Police Department was seeking Phillips in connection with yet another, separate domestic abuse allegation that had occurred previously in Los Angeles.

In March, 2006, the Associated Press reported that Phillips had been ordered to stand trial on felony assault with a deadly weapon charges stemming from the August 21, 2005, incident. The assigned judge dismissed two counts of child abuse and one count of leaving the scene of an accident, but continued the trial on the more serious charges.

On October 10, 2006, Phillips was found guilty of seven counts of assault with a deadly weapon. On October 3, 2008, Phillips was sentenced to 10 years in a California state prison.

Talent wise, he certainly could have been great. People like to belittle his accomplishments in the NFL that first season but when he got cut, I do believe he was leading the NFC in rushing. The fact that he's a complete idiot and blew it all does make him a bust. As a Rams and Husker fan I was very disappointed to say the least.

Talent wise, he certainly could have been great. People like to belittle his accomplishments in the NFL that first season but when he got cut, I do believe he was leading the NFC in rushing. The fact that he's a complete idiot and blew it all does make him a bust. As a Rams and Husker fan I was very disappointed to say the least.

agreed.

Talent wise, he certainly could have been great. People like to belittle his accomplishments in the NFL that first season but when he got cut, I do believe he was leading the NFC in rushing.

No way. I guess you mean when he got cut from the Rams in his second year. He had 633 yards after 10 games when he got cut, in a season where Sanders had over 2000 yards. He might have led after the first week, when he opened with 125 yards and 3 TDs, but that's it. And that was his best year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...lLa00_games.htm has his full NFL game log. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PhilLa00.htm for full season stats.

He wasn't a bust

How do you figure that? That's more of a bust to me than a guy like Carter who gets hurt. You can't do much about an injury. Run-ins with the law, and deciding whether to pass block are under your control.

He isn't a bust because he went to Nebraska ;) Thats about the only reason though

Talent wise, he certainly could have been great. People like to belittle his accomplishments in the NFL that first season but when he got cut, I do believe he was leading the NFC in rushing.

No way. I guess you mean when he got cut from the Rams in his second year. He had 633 yards after 10 games when he got cut, in a season where Sanders had over 2000 yards. He might have led after the first week, when he opened with 125 yards and 3 TDs, but that's it. And that was his best year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...lLa00_games.htm has his full NFL game log. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PhilLa00.htm for full season stats.

You are right, my recolection was NFC west not NFC and I did mean 2nd year. Note to self, must stop sniffing glue prior to posting.

This young man's picture still hangs on my fridge. I have nothing but sympathy for him. 250 yds. against Mich. St. in an afternoon and assulting your girlfriend that night. Heisman Trophy leader to suspended in about 12 hours.

My heart goes out to this troubled young man and I wish there was something I could do for him.

What an incredible waste of talent.

T_O_B

From a personal standpoint, LP had all the chances in the world. Tom took a big, big personal risk to give the guy a chance to begin anew.

My worst memory of a bad/unfair thing occuring to a Husker still and always will be Touchdown Tommy not being awarded the Heisman. This guy did everything right and had the system fail him.

The system tried to give Phillips every chance in the world and he threw it away.

Very sad indeed on both accounts.

a friend of mine from NC was visiting an athletic souvenir store and picked up a couple of lawrence phillips rookie football cards and sent them to me. they are actually encased in a plastic frame. i was thinking about finding out where he is doing his time and then going to see him on visiting day to see if he would sign them!

a friend of mine from NC was visiting an athletic souvenir store and picked up a couple of lawrence phillips rookie football cards and sent them to me. they are actually encased in a plastic frame. i was thinking about finding out where he is doing his time and then going to see him on visiting day to see if he would sign them!

I'm sure he could find the time between making license plates and trying to escape the butt pirates :box