Pretty Cool Story on Bo

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini has always been strong in his football convictions -- even when he was a player.

Pelini shared an interesting story at a recent banquet that spoke of his assuredness during his own playing career at Cardinal Mooney High School in Youngstown, Ohio, back in the mid- 1980s.

One of Pelini's favorite high school memories came in a tight football game when his team was trying to qualify for the playoffs. Pelini, who played quarterback, was convinced that his team could convert a fourth-and-1 play from its own 29 with about five minutes left in the game.

Pelini told attendees at the recent St. Pius X/St. Leo Sports Night banquet in Omaha that he knew he could make the first down. The only problem was that he needed to convince his veteran coach, Don Bucci, who wanted to punt. And Bucci made the final decision.

Pelini wouldn't hear of it, the Omaha World-Herald's Jon Nyatawa reports.

"I looked him in the eye and said, 'Oh no we're not,'" Pelini said. "He looked at me and I said, 'Coach, you can go ahead and call a punt, but you're going to have a problem because we aren't coming off the field."

Pelini's team went for it, made the first down and scored a go-ahead field goal. And it made Pelini one of Bucci's most memorable pupils.

"I was a pain way back when," Pelini said, "so just so you know, I haven't changed much."

That confidence has always marked Pelini. And it's a reason why he's developed into such a successful coach so quickly in his career.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/ncfnation/0-8-5...n-that-way.html

They will. I don't think BO is going to let them play like a bunch of pansies that the previous staff allowed.

I remember when BO first started here, one of the first things he did at practice was get ride of the misting tents. He said the kids didn't need to be babied like that.

I knew right there that the team was in good hands.

he will get more out of less..talent..and bring a degree of respect back to the program, but..until recruiting improves, we won't be serious contenders....it will be a slow, steady process of attracting better players to NU...but it will happen...no flash in the pan, just steady progress.

Cool story, but I wonder what he would do if one of his players did that to him? Good to see he had the confidence back then though. :thumbs

umm...alex henery?

Umm...no.

If you read the articles about the colorado game. Bo asked Alex if he thought he could clear it. Alex said that he had been nailing them reguraly in warmups and whatnot and he felt he could do it. Bo said, go get it done.

The rest is history.

Cool story, but I wonder what he would do if one of his players did that to him? Good to see he had the confidence back then though. :thumbs

Wasn't the Alex Henrey FG against Colorado similar?

I don't think Henry said it like that, but he did say he felt good about it. Bo just had faith that he was going to hold up to his pre-game distances.