State of Husker Baseball

I am sorely disappointed in the Huskers this year. They have under achieved in all aspects of the game and yes that includes pitching. Anderson has one more year and if what occurs this year happens again he needs to be gone!

Our best pitcher, "who as major league stuff" cant hit throw a stike most of the year!

Kids did not step up and that's on Anderson and Newman!

I am sad baseball is over alreadyat least my kid is playing!

In before huskerwrkhavoc comes in to defend Anderson. :snacks:

What's needing to be defended? He said exactly what i've been saying. He needs another year. I've defended Anderson when everyone has been calling for his head.. I've been down as saying that if next year is a repeat of this year we need to look for a new coach.. so that comment was completely unnecessary and unfounded...

Now, if you're trying to say 55 that Nesseth doesn't have major league stuff? You're wrong. That's not up to you or me to decide.. Talk to the scouts that have been at games.. They will tell you the kid is good. He's only a sophomore for God's sake...

Like i've said, next year will be the year to show what the staff has been able to do with these guys.. They return a ton of talent coming back (and coming in for that matter) and need to get the job done, which I feel will happen..

In before huskerwrkhavoc comes in to defend Anderson. :snacks:

What's needing to be defended? He said exactly what i've been saying. He needs another year. I've defended Anderson when everyone has been calling for his head.. I've been down as saying that if next year is a repeat of this year we need to look for a new coach.. so that comment was completely unnecessary and unfounded...

Now, if you're trying to say 55 that Nesseth doesn't have major league stuff? You're wrong. That's not up to you or me to decide.. Talk to the scouts that have been at games.. They will tell you the kid is good. He's only a sophomore for God's sake...

Like i've said, next year will be the year to show what the staff has been able to do with these guys.. They return a ton of talent coming back (and coming in for that matter) and need to get the job done, which I feel will happen..

I know, i was just yanking you're chain a little. Its not like there would be a quick fix hire out there, if we fire Anderson.

Who do you get to replace Anderson???? Seriously, who? Any friggin Childress homers should know there is no way in hell he'd come back so don't even think that name.

Now give me credible, realistic coaches who have had success that would come here.

Van Horn wasn't exactly a hot-commodity when he was hired to coach at NU.

The point is this: there are plenty of assistants out there that are no-names and are more than capable and suitable as a replacement.

It's not up to me. What I do know is this - with our facilities and fan support (thanks DVH) - there is no reason that we should be finishing last in the Big 12 North and ultimately the entire Big 12.

No reason...no matter what havoc has to say.

We're young, blah-blah-blah.

We just lost a home series to a 1st-year program - a program that was 9-31 coming in. Roughly half are freshman, and half are JUCO juniors. Zero seniors. And our 7th consecutive series loss.

There is no argument. Our program has declined overall ever since Anderson has been at the helm.

And for you NU football enthusiasts - what Solich or Callahan is to NU or Raider football, respectively; Anderson is to NU baseball.

Each rode their predecessor's coat-tails, and won with those recruits/players.

Now we're witnessing the backlash.

Unfortunately, you have to give Anderson one more year based on what has occurred prior to this year! I am not an Anderson supporter and really never have been. I wanted Childress when the decision was being made but we picked Anderson because we had a better chance of keeping him if a TX job opened up!

I dont want Childress back I would like a coach who is one a fighter, two can coach kids up ( not sure Anderson can do that), and 3 is personable.

The best Coach in NE is at UNO maybe Bobby would come to UNL!

Van Horn indeed wasn't a hot commodity when hired, but guess what neither was Nebraska Baseball!! There is still enough respect from opposing coaches in the league that we ARE still a big name baseball program. Yeah this year blew but where is Fresno State, the defending champs at? Nowhere and many other perennial powers are having down years. It happens, if you actually had a weekend rotation including Yost(rFR), Hauptman(Soph), and Kash(FR)among others after last season YOU THA MAN, and knew something I must have missed. You will not win in this league with unproven pitching PERIOD. Coach A DID lose a bunch of slap-tards that had no business signing MLB contracts last year that would have been helpful this year.

Give me a big name coach to replace Coach A. If we want to be as good as everyone insists that we should you better shoot for the moon.

PS College World Series wins leader at NU is whom? Oh yeah, my bad

Van Horn indeed wasn't a hot commodity when hired, but guess what neither was Nebraska Baseball!! There is still enough respect from opposing coaches in the league that we ARE still a big name baseball program. Yeah this year blew but where is Fresno State, the defending champs at? Nowhere and many other perennial powers are having down years. It happens, if you actually had a weekend rotation including Yost(rFR), Hauptman(Soph), and Kash(FR)among others after last season YOU THA MAN, and knew something I must have missed. You will not win in this league with unproven pitching PERIOD. Coach A DID lose a bunch of slap-tards that had no business signing MLB contracts last year that would have been helpful this year.

Give me a big name coach to replace Coach A. If we want to be as good as everyone insists that we should you better shoot for the moon.

PS College World Series wins leader at NU is whom? Oh yeah, my bad

Hey man, I'm right with you, but you're not going to get anywhere with a lot of the people here.. Moe's argument is ridiculous... Comparing NU football under Cally/Solich to Husker baseball under Anderson is dumb. What's the comparison? That Cally went to the SB or Solich the MNC? Anderson has been to the CWS twice. He's won the programs 1st games there. I understand people are pissed off about how the team did, rightfully so. I'm right there.. There was no excuse to lose to Bakersfield. Came down to walks again. The thing we didn't do when we were pitching "better"... The only good thing that can come from it is returning players.. Obviously we'll have to wait til the draft to have a decent idea of who may leave and what will happen to our recruiting class..

And I asked the same question in a different thread about who we would get to replace Anderson, no answers... I mean it is JUST baseball right? I get that people don't follow it like it's football.. But just calling for a coaches head isn't going to do any good.. Especially when it's following a season of way over achieving... That's another reason i say give him another year.. We just over achieved in 08.. If Anderson was that bad of a coach wouldn't we have AT BEST played to expectations?

And to answer you're question RedStorm, Matt Deggs from A&M would probably be #1 on our coaching list.. He's obviously under Childress but the guy looks to have a bright future.. If we fired Anderson and DIDNT hire Deggs that would honestly be probably the biggest mistake in this programs history and I hate using that football analogy, but firing Solich for a Callahan.. Not exactly that but that is what i see the results being..

Havoc, the main reason I threw the question out is to call out any knowledgeable, true Sker baseball fans. Too many people that have called for the axe are the weekend fans that use the spring to pass the time until the next big football recruit signs. Do I dig football more? Yes, but as a baseball season ticketholder I hate these "fans" calling for the head of a coach that was dealt a harsh hand.

One, Coach A is trying to recruit quality players to an area that isn't rich with baseball talent or weather. Say what you all want about the GI Johnny's or Joba or Gordo, but the talent isn't great and top prospects want to play year round and you can't do that here if y'all haven't noticed.

Two, The draft has killed this roster the last two or three years. From players signing deals to leave early or high school kids bailing on college all together, we have had kids not come back or make it here that would be solid contributors and even flat out studs.

Three, where were all these "haters" during last year when he took a mediocre team at BEST and made them very dangerous and extremely competitive team? Oh, yeah I know they were the ones screaming Conference Coach of the Year.

I understand the frustrations this year, trust me some kind of a refund prorated by walks by our pitchers would be nice, but COACH A WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR. Bank on it.

Deggs seems like a good scenario but I think it needs to be bigger and a lot of solid head coaching experience.

PREACH ON BRO

Hey man, I'm right with you, but you're not going to get anywhere with a lot of the people here.. Moe's argument is ridiculous... Comparing NU football under Cally/Solich to Husker baseball under Anderson is dumb. What's the comparison?

The comparison is that all of those coaches rode the coat-tails of their predecessors players, won games, and were ultimately found to have little ability to build and lead a team. That's the comparison...unfortunately you're apparently too far gone to attempt to see the validity.

Article by Mitch Sherman of the OWH - no sunshine pumping here... http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918...;u_sid=10634643

Hey man, I'm right with you, but you're not going to get anywhere with a lot of the people here.. Moe's argument is ridiculous... Comparing NU football under Cally/Solich to Husker baseball under Anderson is dumb. What's the comparison?

The comparison is that all of those coaches rode the coat-tails of their predecessors players, won games, and were ultimately found to have little ability to build and lead a team. That's the comparison...unfortunately you're apparently too far gone to attempt to see the validity.

Article by Mitch Sherman of the OWH - no sunshine pumping here... http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918...;u_sid=10634643

Too far gone? Exactly what are you trying to get at in that?

How did he ride past talent in 2005? Past talent that miserably failed in 04 but then won a game in the CWS in 05? That's where i don't see the comparison.. That's what i said. And what's the point of the article quote? A sports writer has to do what they can to get readers.. You're going to be controversial. Where did he say Anderson deserves the axe? Nowhere i saw. Also, failure to develop players? Failure in the sense of the pitching? Because there is a lot to fail at when they are freshman and sophomores isn't there? Isn't that WHEN you develop them? Yea.... People complain that We mixed up the lineup.. Well, saying we only had 2 games in a row with the same lineup is kind of jaded on the fact that you play 3 weekend games, and then midweek games where, as a major conference team, you mix everything up to give younger players time and looks at the plate.. Sure, he mixed things up most of the year, but when you put a lineup out there that isn't getting the job done what else are you going to do? The choice to move Nesseth to the pen was HIS own choice. He went to the coaches in that situation. The skers were getting decent starting pitching just nothing in the pen to get it done.. Then when he got there the problem flipped.. Article seems to make it sound like that's solely on the coaches.

Also, the OSU series he is referring to with the lineups.. The changes from games 1 and 2 to game 3? A) Burleson was in catching giving Neer a day off behind the plate, and Neer dh'd instead of Cody Asche.. Sullivan, who pinch hit for Cooper in both the 1st two games, started instead. Oh, and Asche ended up pinch hitting for Burleson, went to the DH spot, and Neer went behind the plate.. That's a pretty damn big difference isn't it?

Just goes to show you can make anything sound good to you're own argument.

Havoc, the main reason I threw the question out is to call out any knowledgeable, true Sker baseball fans. Too many people that have called for the axe are the weekend fans that use the spring to pass the time until the next big football recruit signs. Do I dig football more? Yes, but as a baseball season ticketholder I hate these "fans" calling for the head of a coach that was dealt a harsh hand.

One, Coach A is trying to recruit quality players to an area that isn't rich with baseball talent or weather. Say what you all want about the GI Johnny's or Joba or Gordo, but the talent isn't great and top prospects want to play year round and you can't do that here if y'all haven't noticed.

Two, The draft has killed this roster the last two or three years. From players signing deals to leave early or high school kids bailing on college all together, we have had kids not come back or make it here that would be solid contributors and even flat out studs.

Three, where were all these "haters" during last year when he took a mediocre team at BEST and made them very dangerous and extremely competitive team? Oh, yeah I know they were the ones screaming Conference Coach of the Year.

I understand the frustrations this year, trust me some kind of a refund prorated by walks by our pitchers would be nice, but COACH A WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR. Bank on it.

Deggs seems like a good scenario but I think it needs to be bigger and a lot of solid head coaching experience.

PREACH ON BRO

I'm right with ya and to draw a compairson Deggs is a Bo IMO... up and coming, should be great someday somewhere... And man, you sound like you went through this board/rivals and regurgitated my posts :) jk i know you didn't but that's exactly what I'm saying... people calling for his head are saying how last year the team fell apart also.. Yea, that team that was expected to do nothing went deep in the big 12 and hosted a regional and lost to UC Irvine, year in and out one of the most under rated teams in the nation (oh by the way, rivals #1 in the nation right now.....) Irvine always get's sent somewhere and usually wins. He'll be back and he deserves to be.. Everyone has a right to be upset.. Like we've said.. No problems with that, always strive for success... Sure, put Anderson on the hot seat, nothing wrong with that... But for calling for the axe after one bad year where we lost all our pitching? Just a bit too far.