Grant Wistrom interview

wistrom was in lincoln and journal-star talked to him for a bit. interview is here.

on bo pelini...

I'm a fan, man. I'm excited. You know what, I don't care if we win the Big 12 championship every year or a national championship. I'm just glad to see the guys playing hard again. I think that's all we can ask for, just guys out there that take pride in wearing the N on their helmets, Blackshirts out there playing every down. It's all a credit to him and this coaching staff. He was playing with the same guys last year that were there the year before pretty much, and the product was just completely different on the field. That's just all a change in attitude and mentality in the program, and that's due to him.

about defense...

You've got to have a good scheme and you got to have good coaches implementing the scheme. But you can have the best defense called, but if you have guys out there that aren't playing hard, it's going to break down. If you got guys out there playing hard, you can have the wrong defense called and you can overcome that.

and then he let's loose on how his wife noticed how... angry... he was while he was watching nebraska during the 2007 season. this is how he explained it to his wife...

I and about 140 other guys spent four years of our lives building up the best business in America. At the time we were the best college football program. ... And then some other people come in and take it over and run it into the ground. What would you do? How would you feel? ... That's how I felt.

We dedicated four years of our lives to building up the best football program in the country. And in just a matter of years, it went downhill. There's not just one reason for it. I'm sure it was one of any number of things, and everything's cyclical in college football. But just the rate of the slide was kind of astounding to me. But I also think the turnaround has been just as impressive.

and now, an obligatory "beating a dead horse" gif...

BeatDeadHorse.gif

I heard him on 1620 awhile back.

This guy is and always has been passionate about his Huskers.

Listening to guys like him, Jason Peter, Mike Minter and so many other players from that era reminds me that above all else, football is a game that demands everything a player can give. Not just speed, good hands, strenth, or passing ability but committment to the team, faith in oneself and ones teammates and a love of the game that allows them to transform a very good bunch of atheletes into an unstoppable team.

This is what was missing in 2007

I heard him on 1620 awhile back.

This guy is and always has been passionate about his Huskers.

Listening to guys like him, Jason Peter, Mike Minter and so many other players from that era reminds me that above all else, football is a game that demands everything a player can give. Not just speed, good hands, strenth, or passing ability but committment to the team, faith in oneself and ones teammates and a love of the game that allows them to transform a very good bunch of atheletes into an unstoppable team.

This is what was missing in 2007

agree...along with no coach on either side of the ball!

I came late to Nebraska football: I married a Lincoln girl who helped me to understand what passion really is. In the time I've become a Husker fan, I watched national titkles come (and go...) and I watched a negative transformation appear at a college where I never thought such a thign would ever occur. Grant Winstrom, and every other player who, as he said, "wore the N," knwe what it took to be not just a winner, but a NATIONAL winner at that. Topday, very few athletes understand the true gift, the true reward that comes form hunkering down in oractice and doing the same thing time after time after time until it is done perfectly. Three national championships in four years has never been equaled. Be grateful, Husker fans, because you really do have a coach of the same stature as Tom Osborn. Bo might, or maybe he won't win three NCs at Nebraska, but he will go down fighting because he is the same type of coach as Winstrom and company were as players. And as new Husker fan, my vote's on Bo.