Lincoln Super Regional

Interesting stats:

A big key in this game will also be on the basepaths. The Canes like to run and be aggressive. UM has 105 stolen bases in 148 attempts this year.

Nebraska also likes to run, with 96 steals in 127 attempts.

But UM will have to be wary when looking for stolen bases – Nebraska catchers have thrown out 28 of 59 runners attempting steals this season.

Chamberlain fans 13 Canes to lead the Skers to a 3-1 win!! Awesome. 1 game away from Dingerville!! Lets get it done fellas.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB...0&ATCLID=122605

Lincoln - In a classic pitcher's duel, Nebraska's Joba Chamberlain struck out 13 Miami hitters to lead the No. 3 national seed Cornhuskers to a 3-1 victory over the Hurricanes in front of a sellout crowd of 8,308 fans Friday in the first game of a best-of-three Super Regional series at Hawks Field.

After sitting through a two-hour, 21-minute rain delay, Chamberlain came out strong and got better as the game wore on. The right-hander went 8.0 solid innings allowing just six hits while picking up his fifth double-digit strikeout performance of the season. Chamberlain's 13 strikeouts marked the second-highest total of his career, just shy of the career-best 15 strikeouts he notched against New Mexico on Feb. 25.

Chamberlain improved to 9-2 on the season, and increased his team-leading strikeout total to 126 on the year, the third-highest single-season mark in NU history.

Chamberlain outdueled Miami ace Cesar Carrillo, the 18th overall pick in this week's Major League Baseball Draft. Carrillo (13-3) allowed just six hits over a complete-game 8.0 innings while suffering only his third loss in 28 career decisions.

Miami second baseman Paco Figueroa produced three of the Hurricanes' seven hits off Chamberlain, including the only thing standing between Chamberlain and a shutout with a solo home run to lead off the fourth inning that gave Miami a 1-0 lead.

The Hurricanes' lead was short-lived, as the Huskers struck back in the bottom of the fourth inning to tie the score. Joe Simokaitis opened the frame with a hit, which was just NU's second base hit of the game after Jesse Boyer led off the first with a single.

Husker third baseman Alex Gordon followed Simokaitis' leadoff single with a walk to put runners at first and second with no outs. Redshirt freshman Andy Gerch hit a shot down the first base line that Cane first baseman Danny Valencia could not handle, allowing Simokaitis to score from second.

Gerch was thrown out trying to get back to first base on the play, leaving Gordon at third base with just one out, but the Huskers were unable to take the lead, stranding Gordon at third in the fourth inning.

After Chamberlain struck out the side in the top of the fifth, the Huskers received the game's biggest hit with Daniel Bruce's leadoff home run on a 3-1 pitch in the bottom of the inning. It was the senior center fielder's fifth homer of the year and Chamberlain made it hold up.

Nebraska pushed across an insurance run in the bottom of the eighth. Husker catcher Jeff Christy, who was a perfect 2-for-2 with a hit-by-pitch on the day to improve his NCAA Tournament batting average to .500, led off the eighth with a sharp double under the glove of a diving Jon Jay in left field. Christy, who also threw out 2-of-2 would-be Miami base stealers on the day, moved to third on Boyer's sacrifice. Christy then scored on Simokaitis' smash single down the right field line to give the Huskers a 3-1 edge heading to the ninth inning.

Chamberlain surrendered a leadoff single in the top of the ninth and was relieved by Husker closer Brett Jensen, who got Miami All-America third baseman and No. 5 overall pick in the MLB Draft Ryan Braun to pop out to first base, before forcing Jay to ground into an inning-ending 4-6-3 double play to end the game.

Pictures?

Chamberlain takes charge in 3-1 win

Daniel Bruce hit a tiebreaking home run in the fifth inning and Joba Chamberlain struck out 13 while outdueling first-round draft pick Cesar Carrillo in Nebraska's 3-1 NCAA Super Regional victory over Miami on Friday.

The No. 3-seeded Cornhuskers (55-13) need one win to wrap up the best-of-three super regional against the Hurricanes (41-18-1) and advance to the College World Series 50 miles away in Omaha for the third time in five years. The teams meet Saturday and, if necessary, Sunday.

NU closes in on CWS with well-pitched win

Nebraska's 3-1 win against Miami in the NCAA Super Regional opener might've been extraordinary. But any more, who knows? These kinds of performance are becoming habit for the Huskers.

NU, NCAA officials play weather watchers

OK, why not? Steal a base, Jeff Christy.

Nebraska-Miami postgame quotes

Nebraska-Miami postgame quotes

Release: 06/11/2005

Coach Mike Anderson

Opening Statement

"It is a pretty fun day in Husker baseball. I'm having a tough time sitting up here with these guys with their hats backwards. We've got a rule that says you can only wear your hat backwards on certain days and that's when you win a championship. Usually I get to take them but not today. I'm happy they get to wear their hats backwards."

"I'm extremely happy for our team and very happy that these kids get to experience the College World Series. It's special and we do have some kids that have experienced it but to have Ryan Bohanan and Ryan Wehrle and Johnny Dorn and Joba Chamberlain and these new guys get the opportunity to experience that whole thing is a thrill of a lifetime for me to see that. I'm excited they get that opportunity. They earned it and they deserved it and they worked hard for it. It didn't just happen this weekend. They have been working hard all year long. It's just a thrill that they have this opportunity. They'll have it the rest of their lives. They'll have that dog pile the rest of their lives."

"When we start getting intense and start understanding what we're playing for and all those things. You want to try and relax and you know you have a special moment right around the corner and you have to make it happen. And they made it happen and they're going to have that opportunity the rest of their lives. They get to go to the College World Series and celebrate this victory in front of their fans the way they did. That dog pile was special."

On the game

"From a game standpoint, Johnny was outstanding. He got in control and gave up one mistake to a guy that hadn't hit a home run all year. I give him a lot of credit. Duensing was okay. I'm not going to say he was bad. He pitched well and did some good things and we got the chance to get to Jensen."

"We played great defense throughout the series and I was extremely happy with our attack and aggressiveness of what we did offensively, more so on the mental side than the physical side. You could see it and feel it in our kids' eyes. You could sense it and they had a great aggression and great attack mode that I was very proud of."

On the Miami Hurricanes

"I give a lot of credit to the Miami Hurricanes for getting to the Super Regional. They are a quality program, traditional program. For us to win whether it's at Haymarket or wherever it is, a tremendous amount of credit goes to Miami for being in this situation."

On the College World Series

"I feel good. We've got pitching and defense. All year long we've said if we can just get some timely hits and get going. I feel good about one thing – I have had faith in our offense all year long. You might have to scratch the positives sometimes but they we're doing enough right to get some wins. I have felt good about this group all year long. We have pitching and defense going up there with some guys that feel very hot about their hitting. You look at some teams that have won that thing and that's exactly what they had."

On Alex Gordon

"He's a special player. He is an intense player and plays without fear. That is one of the things I love about him. In terms of the incident, I support Alex 100 percent. It was an intense moment with a lot of intensity on the baseball field. We've all got to learn to calm down in certain situations and that's the bottom line. It didn't hurt the team. It was a lesson well learned and we'll move on."

On winning the series over Miami

"They're was a lot of things that happened this year and after losing to Texas we could've crawled in a hole and said we weren't very good or we could learn from it. I think again we won this series today because of losing to Texas. We learned adjustments."

Joe Simokaitis

On returning to the College World Series

"Any time you get to go to the College World Series it feels good but ending a career at Haymarket Park and having the opportunity to go play in the College World Series, I can't think of a better ending to a career. It's an awesome feeling and I'm glad these younger guys get a chance to feel it."

On sweeping Miami

"I wouldn't say it is surprising. Coach said it again. They are a great team and a great program and we came out ready to play. They coaches kept this team focused and they have done it all year long. After we beat Miami's No. 1 yesterday we could've got down or whatever and they kept us focused. It's just a great win for us."

Johnny Dorn

On getting confidence after watching Joba Chamberlain yesterday

"First of all after getting that first win it took a lot off my shoulders, knowing we didn't have to win today but still going out and trying to get it. I'm not going to strike out 13 because I'm not as powerful as Joba but I'll just try and do my thing and help the team win."

Ryan Bohanan

On making it to the College World Series in his first year

"That's why I came here. I saw the coaches and players around me and I believed when I came here that we would have a chance to go to Omaha all four years. It's not that big of surprise to me I'm just happy that we finally did it."

Miami Coach Jim Morris

"I'd like to congratulate Nebraska. They played very well. It's a great atmosphere to play this type of tournament in."

"It’s a sad day for us, but we've got to bounce back and figure out how to get it done next year."

"They've got a chance to win it because they're hot. It's whoever gets hot when they get there, as we know. Always teams who get there are hot and talented. If they play like they are capable of then they have a good chance. They've got great pitching and good defense."

"It's very disappointing any time that you don't go to Omaha if you're used to going to Omaha. We've gotten there (a lot) since I've been here, so it's just something that is expected from our players, our coaches, our fans. So, anytime you don't go to Omaha, it's not a successful season."

Center Fielder Danny Figueroa

"We just didn't get into a rhythm. We're a great hitting team and when we're on, we're on. We just had to get things going and we didn't. I give all the credit to the pitchers and Nebraska. They came after us great. We knew coming into this game that the pitchers are really great and we've got to tip our hats to them."

Second Baseman Paco Figueroa

"The pitching was great. The starters, they just came after us and we just fell behind as hitters and good luck to Nebraska. I give them all the credit. I hope they do well in Omaha. But as hitters, we fell behind."

Nice pic ETR. I resized it to 800x600. Try to do the same for the others when uploading to your CPU. There should be an option with the software to resize all to "x size". Then upload to huskerboard/photos and we'll get em posted. Nice job official Hboard Photographer. ;)

I'll admit, I thought the Huskers would win the super regional, but I never dreamed they would dominate the 'Canes like they did! WOW!!! I LOVE IT!!!

GO BIG RED!!!

I'm thinkin' about drivin' to Omaha...The Huskers may be the #1 seed...#2 at worst!

Great point...Georgia Tech lost two games, being swept by Tenn. and Rice defeated #1 Tulane today.