Shortstop leaving Huskers

Shortstop leaving Huskers

OWH

LINCOLN — Two-year Nebraska starting shortstop Ben Kline, a former dual-sport standout from Omaha Central, is leaving the baseball program.

Kline started 82 games in 2008 and 2009 but saw his offensive production slide after a promising freshman season.

“I feel the same about the school,” Kline said Monday. “I like it, but I don’t think I fit in well. Everybody’s going to hit a wall at some point, but I don’t think I ever got to that point that met my expectations.

“There’s a lot more that I can improve on offensively and defensively.”

Kline’s decision surprised Mike Anderson, the coach said. Kline contacted Anderson to request a scholarship release last week from Wilmington, N.C., where Kline is playing this summer in the Coastal Plains League.

“Ben’s going to take off,” Anderson said. “That’s all I know. It’s different from what he said a couple weeks ago. It’s always disappointing for both sides, but you move on. You absolutely move on.”

Kline started 34 games this spring as a sophomore and hit .242 with 15 RBIs. He tied for the team lead with three triples and cut in half his strikeout total over 2008. But his on-base percentage of .296 ranked lowest on the team among players with more than 20 starts, and the 6-foot-3 Kline did not homer in 298 career at-bats.

“I had different thoughts on how things would go,” Kline said. “I don’t think that I improved the way I wanted to in the program. Growing up in Nebraska and being around Nebraska baseball your whole life, it grows on you. Obviously, this is not an easy decision.”

He was a cornerstone of Nebraska’s class of 10 recruits signed in the fall of 2006 — a group that has not materialized as NU hoped.

From the class, three players never appeared in uniform, including two who were drafted and signed professional contracts. Kline is the third to leave school, following Clay Cuno and heralded prospect David Stewart.

Tyler Rank is injured and out of the game. Elkhorn graduate Matt Freeman is returning from surgery. And Dan Johnston of Papillion-La Vista is away from the team, though he has a “welcome invitation” to return, Anderson said.

Kline twice earned All-Nebraska honors at Central and helped the Eagles to their first state tournament in more than two decades as a senior in 2007, hitting .458 with six homers. He also played four seasons of varsity basketball and averaged double-figure point totals on Central’s Class A-title teams in 2006 and 2007.

Baseball America rated Kline as the No. 2 high school prospect in Nebraska in 2007.

He said he’s unsure of his transfer plans. Kline is required to sit out next season at a Division I school and would have two years to play two seasons, starting in 2011.

Nebraska is left with Kyle Bubak as its top returning candidate to play shortstop. Bubak hit .277 in 41 games in his first season at Nebraska. The Huskers finished last in the Big 12 and 25-28-1 overall, missing the NCAA postseason for the second time in 11 years.

Anderson said he expects a competitive situation at shortstop, with four players who’ve played the position among Nebraska’s class of recruits.

This is a real concern for me! I suspect Ben will end up at another program such as AR. I believe this is a huge issue and speaks volumes about Coach Anderson! To lose a 2 year starter at SS just buggles the mind!

Amazing that a local kid would leave Nebraska...“I’ve had close friends say ‘You don’t look like you’re having fun,’ and I haven’t progressed, offensively,” Kline said.

Offensively? Hmmm....

The kid has had every waking chance to improve offensively. He's started the last two years, had PLENTY of at bats and still struggled at the plate. All the BP in the world won't help you improve offensively as well as game time at bats. That quote is crap. The writing was on the wall, Bubak is going to start next year. Because he out performed Ben all last season.

The kid has had every waking chance to improve offensively. He's started the last two years, had PLENTY of at bats and still struggled at the plate. All the BP in the world won't help you improve offensively as well as game time at bats. That quote is crap. The writing was on the wall, Bubak is going to start next year. Because he out performed Ben all last season.

I like this quote even more, made it on May 13th, State of Husker Baseball..."Havoc, the main reason I threw the question out is to call out any knowledgeable, true Sker baseball fans. Too many people that have called for the axe are the weekend fans that use the spring to pass the time until the next big football recruit signs. Do I dig football more? Yes, but as a baseball season ticketholder I hate these "fans" calling for the head of a coach that was dealt a harsh hand."

Wow. It must be nice to be a true Husker Baseball Fan! It seems to me that the only way you distinguish between a true Husker Baseball fan and a pseudo Husker Baseball fan is whether or not that person fully supports Anderson. Do we have to hold season tickets? I'm a student...I get in free.

I think that Kline leaving is another red-flag on what is really going on, as far as the team dynamic and attitudes of players.

Christ, I don't think Anderson had even settled on a working batting order at season's end. I mean, I'm all for switching it up...but seriously.

<_<

I like this quote even more, made it on May 13th, State of Husker Baseball..."Havoc, the main reason I threw the question out is to call out any knowledgeable, true Sker baseball fans. Too many people that have called for the axe are the weekend fans that use the spring to pass the time until the next big football recruit signs. Do I dig football more? Yes, but as a baseball season ticketholder I hate these "fans" calling for the head of a coach that was dealt a harsh hand."

Wow. It must be nice to be a true Husker Baseball Fan! It seems to me that the only way you distinguish between a true Husker Baseball fan and a pseudo Husker Baseball fan is whether or not that person fully supports Anderson. Do we have to hold season tickets? I'm a student...I get in free.

I think that Kline leaving is another red-flag on what is really going on, as far as the team dynamic and attitudes of players.

Christ, I don't think Anderson had even settled on a working batting order at season's end. I mean, I'm all for switching it up...but seriously.

Well I'm writing this from my phone as I haven't had a computer lately due to hard drive issues..

Klines departure can and will be taken two ways. 1) anderson drives kids away from the program. 2) kid isn't good enough to play.

Now. Knowing a lot about how klines frosh year went (my roomate dated a girl tht was really good hs friends w/ the kid) he was never into baseball like you need to be to compete in the big 12. Take that for what you want.. I mean, hell, I'm just some idiot that supports anderson with no reason, just ask moe/55.... Bubak is shortstop next year and we saw it at times this year.. I think he's the better player and def the better bat. Best of luck to him but he's always had issues.. Personal issues....

Anderson is going to get hate all off season by all of his critics.. Like I've said god knows how many times, if he left the lineup the same and it wasn't producing hed be getting sh#t of for that so the lineup thing to me is a joke. We got a lot of younger kids experience and it truly will pay off... I mean, jesus, mlb teams move people up and down all the time.. Look at the dodgers, hardly ever use the same lineup.. But ya know, Torre is an idiot too, huh?

Since I can't really read the format well on my phone, I don't get what you're getting at moe... Hard to follow....

As for recruits... Tom Lemke n Geoff Baldwin were taken in the 10th round... I was following the draft at work on my phone til Nesseth went, haven't seen much since other than Tezak. Don't see Nesseth leaving for 15th round money when he knows he can do better, and only a sophomore he doesn't lose any negotiating power by coming back another year.

Boy if you would have read the all the posts leading up to this reply, this was response to all those that wanted Rob Chidress to bail on A&m and return to DONU or expected any big name college coach to just jump ship and right the boat here in Lincoln, my response was that Childress ain't coming back and I wanted those to name names of "big time" college baseball coaches that would come to Lincoln. Because it ain't gonna happen.

I wasn't saying students aren't good fans or anything like that, but wanted those who thought they knew how to solve the worlds(or baseballs) problems to throw out any ideas that were actually logical.

I believe this is more of a winning vs losing situation. How many players openly say they didn't have fun on winning teams? I could bet that Kline wasn't preaching these thoughts two years ago when the Huskers were over achieving and winning. This is an attitude thing, and losing sucks and it eats on everyone. But as I said Buback out performed Kline last year and even Hellen Keller could see the writing on that wall. Kline had TWO years to show something and never did. Can you blame a coach for playing a better player?

Again can you blame a coach for trying to find something that may work? Heck, the majority of his line up will return next year, so why not find anything that may be successful.

This was a very young team in all regards this year. Anyone who honestly thought that we would contend for conference championships and super regional bids after what we lost in the draft were smoking the stuff.

• 2 months later...

Wow, didnt know Kline left the team. From the games I've watched, the offense has sucked eggs the past three or four seasons.

Small ball. Take a walk. Move a runner. Lean into a pitch. Lay down a sac bunt. You would think the Huskers use wood bats. No power game like most big 12 teams.... or the majority of the NCAA.

I think that all falls on the hitting style of the coach. Falls on Anderson.

Wow, didnt know Kline left the team. From the games I've watched, the offense has sucked eggs the past three or four seasons.

Small ball. Take a walk. Move a runner. Lean into a pitch. Lay down a sac bunt. You would think the Huskers use wood bats. No power game like most big 12 teams.... or the majority of the NCAA.

Um.. Who is CONSISTENTLY the best team in the big 12? Maybe um... TEXAS LONGHORNS? Oh wait... They use small ball. That's how they play. We have competed consistently in the Big 12 for the past decade by playing small ball. Pitching is what we are missing last year. Kline isn't a big 12 caliber player and i've said that many times, i wish the kid well (i think he's enrolled at creighton?) but we have better talent than him here.

Um.. Who is CONSISTENTLY the best team in the big 12? Maybe um... TEXAS LONGHORNS? Oh wait... They use small ball. That's how they play. We have competed consistently in the Big 12 for the past decade by playing small ball. Pitching is what we are missing last year. Kline isn't a big 12 caliber player and i've said that many times, i wish the kid well (i think he's enrolled at creighton?) but we have better talent than him here.

You are right that UT did not have much power this year. They sure knocked the crap out of the ball during the post season and in the CWS. IIRC, didnt they tie or set the CWS HR record too?

If the Huskers have better talent at shortstop with Kline gone, well that's good to hear :thumbs

You are right that UT did not have much power this year. They sure knocked the crap out of the ball during the post season and in the CWS. IIRC, didnt they tie or set the CWS HR record too?

If the Huskers have better talent at shortstop with Kline gone, well that's good to hear :thumbs

That's the problem, you're looking at the post season, that's all. Texas did hit a TON of home runs after the regular season finished.. 22 of them to be exact. However, they hit 53 all year, including those 22. So in the same season that Nebraska had, Texas hit 31 while Nebraska hit 48. So if you want to look at it that way, we were MUCH more of a power team this past year than they were. And Mouldenhauer for UT did tie the CWS HR record, and UT and LSU set the most in a championship series, but not Texas on their own.

And yes, shouldnt take TOO much to be more talent than Kline though... :P