Carl Pelini to speak in Topeka August 1st

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that link...The picnic is centered around getting our membership to renew their dues that are payable August 1 hence the reason we started this tradition. All are more than welcome.

The $4 charge for guests is simply to cover the food costs and help off-set some of Carl's travel expenses.

Usually there is available some great signed Husker memorabilia on the silent auction tables too. Our little booster / fan / alumni club gets a lot of support from the athletic department and alumni association.

Thanks for posting that link...The picnic is centered around getting our membership to renew their dues that are payable August 1 hence the reason we started this tradition. All are more than welcome.

The $4 charge for guests is simply to cover the food costs and help off-set some of Carl's travel expenses.

Usually there is available some great signed Husker memorabilia on the silent auction tables too. Our little booster / fan / alumni club gets a lot of support from the athletic department and alumni association.

Say what? I'm pretty sure that Carl makes more than enough money from his assistant coach/defensive coordinator position to cover the minor costs of such a short road trip. :laughpound

Anyway, sounds like a great event...have fun.

Jen I know you were being sarcastic in your post by including the emoticon but the reality is every speaker we've asked to come down in the past couple of years has requested that we cover all their expenses, at a minimum.

Jeff Kinney came over for free a few years ago but I picked up green fees for his wife and him at my club. Johnny Rodgers came down for free and we had absolutely no problem with him promoting a book and selling his autographs on items attendees brought to have signed. Tom Osborne came down for free in March but we covered all of his expenses to get a charter to fly down and back and provided a suite for him to change and relax if he needed (and as a plan 'b' in case the plane couldn't get back that evening due to the icy weather).

I don't have a problem with paying a stipend...other than a few contractual obligations to make appearances at specified booster gatherings, these guys are giving up personal time, usually on weekends, to address fans they wouldn't otherwise be able to meet.

GBR

Jen I know you were being sarcastic in your post by including the emoticon but the reality is every speaker we've asked to come down in the past couple of years has requested that we cover all their expenses, at a minimum.

Jeff Kinney came over for free a few years ago but I picked up green fees for his wife and him at my club. Johnny Rodgers came down for free and we had absolutely no problem with him promoting a book and selling his autographs on items attendees brought to have signed. Tom Osborne came down for free in March but we covered all of his expenses to get a charter to fly down and back and provided a suite for him to change and relax if he needed (and as a plan 'b' in case the plane couldn't get back that evening due to the icy weather).

I don't have a problem with paying a stipend...other than a few contractual obligations to make appearances at specified booster gatherings, these guys are giving up personal time, usually on weekends, to address fans they wouldn't otherwise be able to meet.

GBR

No I get it... :clap

I just think that Carl Pelini makes enough money to pay for gas for a quick trip from Lincon to Topeka and back.

The point: Carl, and all the rest of the Nebraska coaches, probably make more in a year than 90% of all the people in the state of Nebraska.

And to expect, or request, that people who make far less than than a 100K year to subsidize someone's travel expenses, especially when that person makes more than 200K annually is "funny" to me.

Time is money. Even if it doesn't cost anything in travel expenses, he's still losing a Saturday that he could be spending at home with his family. And he's going to be doing the same thing in Wichita the weekend before, and probably others I don't know of.

Time is money I agree. However, with being a coach at a major D-1A school being away from the family is part of the job description and these guys know that going in.

Anyway, it sounds like it'll be a great time...have fun.

Of course it is open. I'll be there and I'd love to meet you and anyone else that can make it.

PM me at rpminc1@yahoo.com if you need directions or want suggestions on what to do if you come to the city early but the venue is easy to get to off Interstate 70...take the Gage Avenue exit south to the first light (6th street), turn right and then left into the park. The shelter house is on the north side of the zoo entrance.

• 2 weeks later...